VOGONS

First post, by Muncher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.

I've been using various revisions of DosBox for a long time, but haven't installed the latest version on my new box until now. I'm running XP on a P4 3.0ghz with 1 gig of RAM, all the trimmings and all that. Now, I've been trying to run Gabriel Knight 1 with Vesa enabled, and I have the cpu cycles fairly high (10000) and everything runs smooth as a baby's behind, just one problem - the sound, although clear, every couple of seconds makes this horrible loud bass note like a stereo being turned on and off. It's horribly annoying, any ideas?

Allan.

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm try playing with the sample rate
try 44100 and 48000

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 7, by Muncher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the sound sounds just a little prettier but the horrible thumping noise is still there. It is definitely related to sound samples, as it happens whenever a sound effect (or, at the beginning, the really nice violin music is a wave file, and it also gets the thump treatment at the beginning) is played. I also tried adding extra prebuffer and fiddling with the blocksize, nothing. Any other suggestions? It's as if I'm hearing the sound re-initializing itself over and over and over again.

Allan.

Reply 3 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe you should try selecting a different wave audio device for GK1 in the game setup.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 7, by Muncher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cool, thanks - now it's working almost perfectly, the odd speck in the sound, but good. There is an occasional tiny stutter, will pumping up the cpu cycles further correct this, or would I do well to fiddle with the buffering/blocksize/etc settings in DosBox?

Allan.

Reply 5 of 7, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which sound card was the noisy one. And which one is ok?

Reply 6 of 7, by Muncher666

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Soundblaster was the crappy one, Thunderboard (I believe a SB clone) worked.

Allan.

Reply 7 of 7, by Shed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i put it...and sounds very old FM Synthesis...then i go to INSTALL.EXE and set the option that say "restart default config from Sierra..." and the sounds enhanced with better MIDI instrumment mapping....

c:\GKCD>Install.exe....

- If you choose Music as Soundblaster Pro sounds like oldiest Indiana Jones music....if you want more quality on music ....choose General MIDI sound Driver...