VOGONS

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't really browsed these forums very much unless I needed help, but looking through the forums here I decided to see just what kind of a place this is. Found this forum so I thought what the heck I'll share my gear. I might not be as versed in computer hardware as some of you others may be, so here is my humble attempt to post all I have (they all have 3.5" floppy drives so I just won't mention them):

1st PC (newest)
Pentium 4 2.5Ghz
768M DDR RAM
ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro AGP
NEC DVD-RW ND-1300A 16x CD-R write 2.4x DVD-R write (not sure of the read or rewrite speeds)
LG CD-RW 52x write, 32x rewrite, 52x read
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, onboard Realtek AC97 Audio, and Sound BlasterAudigy 2 (I do a lot of music recording)
40Gb HD & 160Gb HD

2nd PC
Celeron 266Mhz
128M EDO (I think) RAM
nVidia TNT2 (I'm pretty sure this is AGP, I don't remember offhand)
LG CD-RW 16x write, 10x rewrite, 40x read
Sony DVD-ROM 8x DVD read (I think)
5 1/4 floppy drive (not sure of exact specs)
Onboard Sound Blaster Vibra 16 (with blown line input...must have turned my guitar amp up too loud)
40Gb HD

3rd PC
486 DX/2 66Mhz
12Mb RAM (not sure which kind)
Trident TGUI9440 VLB SVGA card
3x CD-ROM (I think...that's what Space Quest collection's system test told me, I might be able to strike a deal for a Creative 32x drive, though, not that I desperately need it...except for maybe A Final Unity)
5 1/4 Floppy drive (not sure of exact specs)
Music Quest MPU-401
Zoltrix Sound Blaster Pro Compatible Sound Card
500Mb HD

I also have a Toshiba 386 laptop (SVGA compatible graphics card, but with orange plasma monitor) it also has 2 ISA slots! I used to have an old SB compatible card I used with it. And I also have 2 Tandy Color Computer 3's with a load of cartridges, a 5/14 floppy drive, and a cassette drive.

I used to own a 286 (which I through out but kept the motherboard of but sadly lost) and a Tandy 1000 (traded for a 486 DX/4 100, which was traded for a Pentium 233 MMX which I still have the motherboard of somewhere, I might also have the 486 motherboard around somewhere too now that I think about it but I'm not sure).

My dad was a computer junkie...now he seems not to be and I'm the junkie with all this neat stuff!

Reply 1 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice collection! 😀

MusicallyInspired wrote:

I also have a Toshiba 386 laptop (SVGA compatible graphics card, but with orange plasma monitor) it also has 2 ISA slots!

Is that a T3200/T5200? I love those gas plasma displays, although they are not really suitable for fast games.

Reply 2 of 9, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a T3200SX. And yeah the plasma screen is cool 😀. Worked fine for all the games I played on it, though. Wolf3D is somewhat choppy, I suppose, but not unplayably so.

I also discovered I do indeed also have a Pentium MMX 233Mhz motherboard as well as another motherboard that when started up says "Pentium-100MHz". I think this might be the 486, though. I don't have a HD for either to tell much more from that, though. The CPU chip has a large heatsink and no fan.

Reply 4 of 9, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well the sierra test utilities tend to give VERY odd results.....sometimes even stating you have a 1x drive when in reality its >32. Hell some games won't even work if used on RW drives, at least I've found anyway. I've not tried them on my DVD drive (I prefer the dos versions)

Reply 5 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

I never heard of a 3x speed cdrom

Some company (I believe it was NEC or Teac) came up with 3x speed CDROM drives, after they couldn't compete with the ultra-cheap Mitsumi FX-001D. Some high-endish SCSI drives also had crummy speed numbers, like 4.5x. Since most drives were spinning at CLV back then, it probably wasn't only marketing gibberish. Of course many of these "turbo" drives had horrible seek times and error correction, but most customers only looked at the bigger x-speed number and the price.

Reply 8 of 9, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had a TGUI9440 PCI once... it was slow, but not nearly as bad as the old Trident ISA cards 😉
If you can't find a cheap Tseng ET4000/W32 with 2MB, take a 1MB card and upgrade the RAM chips (most models use the bog-standard DRAM chips that can be salvaged off old ISA video cards).

Reply 9 of 9, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not that slow, actually. Runs fine. My problem was I couldn't find a DOS driver for it, but I finally found one. But games like Warcraft 2 and Space Quest 6 run perfect. Except in Warcraft 2 the game gets a little slow when there's a lot of stuff going on on the screen, I think that's just cause it's playing on a 486, though. Nevertheless, I'll keep a lookout for either of those cards.