VOGONS

Reply 20 of 36, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it is strange but it looks that minimum gamma setting in pyl in dosbox almost matches maximum gamma setting in pyl in qemu. By almost i mean dosbox is still slightly lighter and qemu is still slightly darker with those settings. Have you adjusted anything for qemu?

Reply 22 of 36, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I managed to fix the washed colors issue. I nailed down the bug in the guest wrappers truncation of float precision in guFogTableIndexToW(). Now, the colors look the same as in DOSBox with dgVoodoo2. The same bug impacted OpenGlide much more that the colors are downright ugly with LfbNoAux, so this gives hints that it has nothing to do with the aux/depth buffer.

The minor artifact of faint fire see-through the door is still there, and I think that is clearly the artifacts of shared memory approximation of LFB semantics to provide real speed for VM acceleration.

Attached the fixed GLIDE2X.OVL. Apparently all guest wrappers are affected as this is a common function for Glide2.11, Glide2x and Glide3x, and they will be covered in the next code drop.

Last edited by kjliew on 2020-03-09, 18:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 23 of 36, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kjliew wrote:

The minor artifact of faint fire see-through the door is still there, and I think that is clearly the artifacts of shared memory approximation of LFB semantics to provide real speed for VM acceleration.

I noticed this happens with different sources of light (fire, lamps) that shine through potentially moving objects: like door, people, mechwarrior.

Reply 24 of 36, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

I noticed this happens with different sources of light (fire, lamps) that shine through potentially moving objects: like door, people, mechwarrior.

Only in Pyl or other games? Pyl has *Mechwarrior* inside the game??
I confirmed that this also fixes the long-standing issue of Fog in OpenGlide for Titanium Mechwarrors series. Yeah, I can now play Titanium Mechwarriors series in Linux 😀 without having Fog disabled and inferior rendering compared to the superb Glide emulation in Windows.

Reply 25 of 36, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kjliew wrote:

Only in Pyl or other games?

I was testing Pyl

kjliew wrote:

Pyl has *Mechwarrior* inside the game??

you can see part of it in the left part of the picture in my pyl translation thread 😉

Reply 26 of 36, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please can someone upload an archived copy of the working installation, minus (of course) the copyrighted files? What I mean is, can someone remove the copyright stuff (which would just be the game itself, I imagine), and ZIP up the rest of the folder, so we can download it, add the game files ourselves, and have the whole thing working properly. I've never used Qemu before, and some of the options mentioned in the topics look pretty obscure.

And if you can do this, then please let us know if it includes the English translation, or if we have to add that ourselves (which would be no problem, of course). Also, why does this use Qemu instead of DOSBox? Does Qemu do something differently or better than DOSBox, that Pyl needs or expects?

Reply 27 of 36, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the main qemu thread i enclosed a very detailed guide and also a ready hdd image with all the files needed.

Qemu is way faster than dosbox cause it has cpu virtualisation option and dosbox is just an emulator.

Reply 33 of 36, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote on 2020-01-30, 11:03:

...it should change the resolution of whole 3D environment.
i am not talking about ScaleWidth but about dgvoodoo's 3d resolution

For QEMU, it simply changes the size of window, the stretching is done by the wrappers. It is up to the wrappers' wits 😀 to perform stretching. QEMU Glide pass-through always passes along real data for resolution and coordinates in vertices (...it is meant to be simple...) and has no control of the stretching strategy used in the wrappers.

Reply 34 of 36, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kjliew wrote on 2019-10-10, 20:12:

Pyl has *Mechwarrior* inside the game??
I confirmed that this also fixes the long-standing issue of Fog in OpenGlide for Titanium Mechwarrors series. Yeah, I can now play Titanium Mechwarriors series in Linux 😀 without having Fog disabled and inferior rendering compared to the superb Glide emulation in Windows.

😀

Attachments

• pyl_mechwarrior.png
    Filename
    pyl_mechwarrior.png
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception