VOGONS

dgVoodoo 2.6.x and related WIP versions

Topic actions

Reply 160 of 276, by funkerwolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rjhansen wrote on 2020-01-20, 04:58:

Jeez. Firefox is now saying that the dgvoodoo2 download page is malware and discouraging me from visiting. I've also gotten false positives with Defender on some of the versions.

You'll have to talk to the Mozilla people, I think. Defender false positives tend to go away as they're in the cloud definitions.

Firefox also told me that the current version of 2.63.1 is straight up malware. Ugh.

Say thanks to google, best ever company...

Reply 161 of 276, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jeez. Firefox is now saying that the dgvoodoo2 download page is malware and discouraging me from visiting. I've also gotten false positives with Defender on some of the versions.

Firefox says what Google says because it uses Google’s Safe Browsing service. If you see my site blocked, then uhmm… it's normal, thanks to **** Google. (But you can always reach it with Edge or Egde Chromium, they are free of google bloat.)

Each time I release a new version, a few days later google sends me an email complaining about malware found on my site, so I has to experiment how to compress/decompress/whatever dgvoodooCpl.exe to have the least hit rate on VirusTotal and shake off google of me.
Sadly, Defender also false-detects the cpl by now (but interestingly only the ones versioned as 2.6x.y), so I have to submit releases to Microsoft to have the detection removed.

Reply 162 of 276, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
stranno wrote on 2020-01-19, 12:17:

That new sub-rectangle option will come handy for the absolutely horrendous aspect ratio of Heart of Darkness.

Even when the Gregory's Source Port is much better, but still not 100% polished.

Thank you Dege!

Isn't it a 320x200 game? Simply set 'Stretched, 4:3 aspect ratio' insted of 'keep aspect ratio' and it should be fine.

Reply 163 of 276, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-01-19, 19:59:
From the blog: […]
Show full quote

From the blog:

What can you do with the code?
Make the move to D3D12 more quickly. Leverage the D3D12 Translation Layer library as-is in your game to port your existing work to D3D12 faster.

???? Why would replacing a DX11 layer with a DX11->12 wrapper be useful? I don't get it. It's basically the same as DX11 does internally, or worse.
(As far as I know, originally D3D11on12 was created for Direct2D for using that in DX12 applications.)

It would seem it still is. From the official conceptual documentation:

D3D11On12 has not been optimized for performance. There will likely be moderate CPU overhead compared to a standard D3D11 driver, minimal GPU overhead, and there is known to be significant memory overhead. Therefore it is not recommended to use D3D11On12 for complicated 3D scenes, and it is instead recommended for simple scenes, or 2D rendering.

Reply 164 of 276, by rjhansen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-01-20, 22:59:
Firefox says what Google says because it uses Google’s Safe Browsing service. If you see my site blocked, then uhmm… it's normal […]
Show full quote

Firefox says what Google says because it uses Google’s Safe Browsing service. If you see my site blocked, then uhmm… it's normal, thanks to **** Google. (But you can always reach it with Edge or Egde Chromium, they are free of google bloat.)

Each time I release a new version, a few days later google sends me an email complaining about malware found on my site, so I has to experiment how to compress/decompress/whatever dgvoodooCpl.exe to have the least hit rate on VirusTotal and shake off google of me.
Sadly, Defender also false-detects the cpl by now (but interestingly only the ones versioned as 2.6x.y), so I have to submit releases to Microsoft to have the detection removed.

As of now, Control Panel 2.63.1 is clean on Defender. 🙄

Webpage is clear on Firefox, and I presume, Chrome as well.

Reply 165 of 276, by pgwipeout

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good Evening,

I've encountered an interesting situation with dgvoodoo 2.6.1.
I am attempting to run Diablo 2 with it, which works fine with sven's wrapper.
When trying dgvoodoo though, the game crashes with error 1.
Tracing the calls, it loads glide3x.dll, but does not load the dgvoodoo.conf file.
This makes it impossible to enable debug mode.

Also interesting, when running in ddraw mode, it loads the ddraw.dll, but once again does not load the dgvoodoo.conf.
I threw the sven wrapper config program in the folder and ran the glide3d test built into it, and it runs fine.
It also loads the dgvoodoo.conf file and debug mode is triggered correctly.

Thank you for your time.
Peter

Reply 168 of 276, by RaVeN-05

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello! found that Z.A.R game d3d version can't work with dgVoodoo it says "Z.A.R. Error 3D hardware NOT found."
without it can be played in Direct3D using 800x600x32 resolution mode.

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitemagicraven
https://go.twitch.tv/whitemagicraventv

Reply 169 of 276, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RaVeN-05 wrote on 2020-02-09, 19:37:

Hello! found that Z.A.R game d3d version can't work with dgVoodoo it says "Z.A.R. Error 3D hardware NOT found."

Am I missing something?:

ZAR_D3D 2020-02-10 01-12-38-01.jpg
Filename
File size
377.69 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Resolution forcing, MSAA and AF seem to work too. This is the 1.03 patch, which is the only D3D version I could find.

Reply 170 of 276, by Expack3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2020-02-10, 00:18:
Am I missing something?: ZAR_D3D 2020-02-10 01-12-38-01.jpg Resolution forcing, MSAA and AF seem to work too. This is the 1.03 p […]
Show full quote
RaVeN-05 wrote on 2020-02-09, 19:37:

Am I missing something?:
Resolution forcing, MSAA and AF seem to work too. This is the 1.03 patch, which is the only D3D version I could find.

As a side question, does the 1.03 patch let the game work as a Win32 application under Windows 10? If so, will it work with the Steam version of ZAR?

Curious as I own the game on Steam and would like to be able to play the game natively (even with the assistance of dgVoodoo2) instead of through DOSBox.

Reply 171 of 276, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have no idea if it will work with the Steam version, but it does work as a Win32 application (how would I otherwise run it with D3D through dgVoodoo?). The patcher is a DOS executable though (DOSBox works).

Reply 172 of 276, by The Master

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Dege, i tried Version 2.63.1 with GTA IV and got very good Frametimes but a bad Glitch with the Engine. All Lights are visible all the time. Means i see car lights behind the wall 😀

See Screenshots:

Attachments

• Lights 2.png
    Filename
    Lights 2.png
    File size
    1.7 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • Lights 1.png
    Filename
    Lights 1.png
    File size
    1.45 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 173 of 276, by Daninthemix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wondering why DgVoodoo doesn't render at high resolution on San Francisco Rush 2049:

[Mod: LINK REMOVED]

It does hook and give me a full screen window, but it's not increasing the internal resolution of 3D within the game.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-03-21, 22:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 174 of 276, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Daninthemix wrote on 2020-03-21, 14:54:

Just wondering why DgVoodoo doesn't render at high resolution on San Francisco Rush 2049:

It does hook and give me a full screen window, but it's not increasing the internal resolution of 3D within the game.

1) Don't link to illegal software distribution. It places the forum you're asking for help (VOGONS) at increased risk of legal problems. Causing problems for people you want help from is a bad idea.

2) If you've downloaded the game from that link, you really should stop downloading software from so sketchy sources. Unless this is a gaming only computer, downloading stuff from Youtube seems like an excellent way to get ransomware / account stealing software on your computer.

3) A legit version definitely works:

rush_2020_03_21_21_53_32_202.jpg
Filename
rush_2020_03_21_21_53_32_202.jpg
File size
257.34 KiB
Views
File license

Make sure you're running it from the launcher, or running it with -f.

There's a problem with the Midway logos, but it doesn't seem to be caused by dgVoodoo, dgVoodoo just makes it worse (they're supposed to change to different images when rotating, but they just flicker).

Dege: Hydro Thunder, another game included in Midway Arcade Treasures Deluxe just crashes with dgVoodoo. Maybe interesting?:
[6400] [dgVoodoo] WARNING: Direct3DSurface9 (04221CD0)::Lock: D3DLOCK_DISCARD flag is specified for a non-discardable (non-dynamic) surface.
[6400] [dgVoodoo] ERROR: Direct3DDevice9 (0453EC98)::GetBackBuffer: Invalid adapter head index (-1)
Note that the standalone PC game "Hydro Thunder" is a different program. Native/WineD3D both do not crash.

Reply 176 of 276, by tlac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-01-08, 18:31:
Some bugfixes: […]
Show full quote

Some bugfixes:

=========================
WIP70:
=========================

Changes compared to v2.63:

- Fixing D3D device enumeration that was incompatible with MS D3D (Tomb Raider 4/5)

I tried this WIP70 version and the latest stable one (v2.63.1) as well but the Tomb Raider 3 does not work for me. No textures, only white or orange colors.
Screenshot
Debug log

As far as I know the WIP43 was the last one that worked without strange errors.
Please check this game.
Thanks.

Reply 177 of 276, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks to everybody for the reports!
I'm being busy nowadays and visit Vogons rarely due to that.

I didn't even release those few fixes I made meanwhile.
I think I'll hold a bugfixing-day or sg like that to release a new incremental update for 2.6.x. 😀

Reply 178 of 276, by lowenz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dege wrote on 2020-03-26, 13:23:
Thanks to everybody for the reports! I'm being busy nowadays and visit Vogons rarely due to that. […]
Show full quote

Thanks to everybody for the reports!
I'm being busy nowadays and visit Vogons rarely due to that.

I didn't even release those few fixes I made meanwhile.
I think I'll hold a bugfixing-day or sg like that to release a new incremental update for 2.6.x. 😀

How is the situation over there in HU about SARS2/Covid-19 ?

Please, DON'T DIE :p

Reply 179 of 276, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

ATM, verified infected: 261, dead: 10 but the government says the real number of infected people must be much larger and we are heading to the mass infection.
Anyway, home office where possible, education is arranged through the internet, etc., so I'm working at home now too.

lowenz wrote on 2020-03-26, 14:37:

Please, DON'T DIE :p

I'm not planning it. 😁
I'm working on new thing(s) instead.