VOGONS

First post, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i bought a nos inwin a500 and decided to do another build around it. plus, you can never have too many slot 1 builds.

i had few nos parts laying around so i decided to go ahead and use those along with some used parts.

since i already have a couple of windows 98se builds, i decided to go with windows me this time. it was a little buggy at first but, once i removed the system restore and system file protection it ran just fine.

i would call this an era 2000 build.

specs:
inwin a500
antec sl300s psu
p2b-f
pentium iii 800
384mb crucial pc100
dell geforce 256 ddr 64mb
turtle beach montego ii
intel pro 100+ nic
adaptec 4 port usb
maxtor 40gb
liteon cd-rw
mitsumi floppy
windows me

Attachments

Last edited by wirerogue on 2020-02-04, 05:52. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

more photos.

Attachments

Last edited by wirerogue on 2020-02-04, 05:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 8, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

more photos.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Even NOS that Antec smartpower is going to be full of caps that need replaced. They may look fine but odds are you will either end up with weird issues due to out of tolerance caps, and or end up with quickly popped caps. Maybe even some pop and magic smoke action. If you want the "Period" correct PSU id suggest either a recap or swap a modern units guts into the Antec's case.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 4 of 8, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ODwilly wrote on 2020-02-04, 05:46:

Even NOS that Antec smartpower is going to be full of caps that need replaced. They may look fine but odds are you will either end up with weird issues due to out of tolerance caps, and or end up with quickly popped caps. Maybe even some pop and magic smoke action. If you want the "Period" correct PSU id suggest either a recap or swap a modern units guts into the Antec's case.

while i totally agree with you, i am not overly concerned as this machine won't see much use in it's lifetime. a few hours during the initial setup and maybe 1 or 2 hours a year after that.

Reply 6 of 8, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2020-02-04, 16:18:

A500 is imo one of the most beautiful cases of the era

i agree. i used to have an inwin q500a in the late 90's but no such luck finding another one of those... yet!!!

Reply 7 of 8, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I use to have one of these back in the 1990’s
I think I had a P2-400 in it.

It’s a nice lookin case but from I remember I did not like all the sheet metal on the side.
It was hard to work around.

There are some models of this case that don’t have this large sheet metal on the side.
I don’t know if they are clones or different versions but the cases looks almost the same.

Like this one:

Attachments

Reply 8 of 8, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that's an In-Win S500 (2nd and last picture), not A500

the S500 has the PSU on top, the 3rd picture seems to be an entirely different case and judging by the sheet metal quality not from In-Win.
also the A500 has a removable motherboard tray, so it's quite easy to work with.

the S500 was my second ATX case, and I still have it, but it's not really in good condition... modded for lan parties ^^ I still prefer the A500 visually even though I never owned one back in the day.