Common searches

Style problems/bugs

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 112, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been having recurring problems with file attachments when composing private messages. There seem to be two different, but related problems, so I'll go over both.

At first, when trying to attach a file, it was treated differently if I dragged the file onto the message window, or tried to click "Add files" and use the file selector. The former worked, while the latter displayed a message that only one attachment is permitted, even though it was the only attachment, and my first attempt at adding a file. After that, Submit/Preview/etc. were all disabled, with a "tool tip" of "Still uploading file" (or similar), yet it had already failed and there was no network activity. There were no options to cancel or delete the attachment. It was stuck in a state that prevented re-trying. The only apparent way out was to load a different page. This seems to have been mostly fixed.

The newer problem shows the same symptoms if an upload fails, for some reason. It shows "HTTP error", then gets stuck in that same unusable state. For the sake of completeness, all of the files in question were less than 50 KiB.

Reply 81 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
boxpressed wrote on 2020-01-22, 20:32:

If I upload an attachment > 2MB in size, I get an error message but the posting process crashes: greyed out Preview, Submit, etc. and can't un-attach or delete the offending file.

640K!enough wrote on 2020-01-28, 20:32:

I have been having recurring problems with file attachments when composing private messages. There seem to be two different, but related problems, so I'll go over both.

At first, when trying to attach a file, it was treated differently if I dragged the file onto the message window, or tried to click "Add files" and use the file selector. The former worked, while the latter displayed a message that only one attachment is permitted, even though it was the only attachment, and my first attempt at adding a file. After that, Submit/Preview/etc. were all disabled, with a "tool tip" of "Still uploading file" (or similar), yet it had already failed and there was no network activity. There were no options to cancel or delete the attachment. It was stuck in a state that prevented re-trying. The only apparent way out was to load a different page. This seems to have been mostly fixed.

The newer problem shows the same symptoms if an upload fails, for some reason. It shows "HTTP error", then gets stuck in that same unusable state. For the sake of completeness, all of the files in question were less than 50 KiB.

These issues should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting them! Please post again if you run into any other problems with attachments. When phpBB added support for multiple uploads, instead of redesigning the attachments system they just added a hack on top of the existing design which supported only one file per page reload, so it’s very fragile.

schmatzler wrote on 2020-01-26, 01:23:

I just noticed that the Active Topics page has a really odd linebreak on mobile devices.

I feel slightly triggered by this. Maybe it can be fixed? 😄

Screenshot_20200126-022131_Chrome.png

The text is anchored to the underline so this is not a bug. The alternative is to collapse the pagination even more and I think the unpleasantness of a hyphen is probably smaller than the unpleasantness of needing to double tap to navigate.

… several other comments about design …

There is a topic for bugs and a topic for design and this is the bugs one. Please use the feedback topic for feedback.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 82 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote on 2019-12-30, 04:07:

Yeah, that's a stretch goal if I ever heard one - there's years upon years of wrong character encoding in the post database resulting in mojibake, people writing with country-specific fonts when these days they'd use Unicode, and there's probably no good way to fix it - I know I've brought it up with Qbix once before.

All of the pre-2013 posts (and PMs, and usernames) with mojibake which were caused by the 2013 forum software upgrade should be fixed now. Better late than never! 😉

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 83 of 112, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok I have to ask this: what's the forum color supposed to look like? Excuse the photo quality but I had to take actual photos from my mobile to demonstrate the below

On an HP ZBook laptop https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-zbook … /c04888991#AbT4 everything is blue. Not less purple, not blue-ish, plain clear blue.

IMG_20200206_102954.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200206_102954.jpg
File size
64.65 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

On the mirrored external display on the same laptop as well as on every other monitor I've used the forum the color is, more or less depending on the monitor, purple-ish (it's a bit darker in reality that the photo)

IMG_20200206_103633.jpg
Filename
IMG_20200206_103633.jpg
File size
149.61 KiB
Views
File license

So I'm not sure anymore how the forum is really supposed to look, I thought to mention it here so that you guys know that there are displays where the forum appears completely different . Generally speaking the laptop's display is excellent and I haven't experienced such big differences on other sites.

Reply 84 of 112, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd have to ask if you're able to set your laptop display to a properly "sRGB" calibration, same goes for every other monitor that you own.

The laptop looks like it's colour temperature is biased towards the "cool spectrum", which for some strange reason some monitors default to doing that.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 85 of 112, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote on 2020-02-06, 09:17:
Ok I have to ask this: what's the forum color supposed to look like? Excuse the photo quality but I had to take actual photos fr […]
Show full quote

Ok I have to ask this: what's the forum color supposed to look like? Excuse the photo quality but I had to take actual photos from my mobile to demonstrate the below

On an HP ZBook laptop https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-zbook … /c04888991#AbT4 everything is blue. Not less purple, not blue-ish, plain clear blue.

IMG_20200206_102954.jpg

On the mirrored external display on the same laptop as well as on every other monitor I've used the forum the color is, more or less depending on the monitor, purple-ish (it's a bit darker in reality that the photo)

IMG_20200206_103633.jpg

So I'm not sure anymore how the forum is really supposed to look, I thought to mention it here so that you guys know that there are displays where the forum appears completely different . Generally speaking the laptop's display is excellent and I haven't experienced such big differences on other sites.

somewhere in between those two, it has a purple tint, but not THAT purple ^^

Reply 86 of 112, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DracoNihil wrote on 2020-02-06, 12:52:

I'd have to ask if you're able to set your laptop display to a properly "sRGB" calibration, same goes for every other monitor that you own.

The laptop looks like it's colour temperature is biased towards the "cool spectrum", which for some strange reason some monitors default to doing that.

Very valid thought, that's why I mentioned that those 2 monitors are mirrored from the same laptop, which means it's 1 device - 1 color profile for windows. From what I see it's already in sRGB profile (windows default, no one ever touched this). So with the exact same profile the 2 monitors display very different color. The weird thing is that the laptop's monitor is supposedly a very good one and the external some crappy lenovo sold by the kilo with office workstations.

d.png
Filename
d.png
File size
13.7 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 87 of 112, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it's not just the display drivers colour management you have to worry about it's also the monitor itself.

For example, with the ASUS VS228 monitor I use I have to explicitly go into the picture settings menu and set things to "sRGB", I can't just enforce a "sRGB Colour Profile" on the software side of things by itself. I'm not totally sure of the intricacies of laptop displays when it comes to configuring them though...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 88 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
konc wrote on 2020-02-06, 09:17:

Hey, it changes depending upon what you plug into it, just like a C64! Free retro feature 😜

The site is not supposed to be any pure or vibrant blue. The hue of the background is 246°; exactly blue is 240°, and exactly purple is 270°. If the colour profile in Windows is set to the generic sRGB profile, and that laptop monitor is actually isn’t physically sRGB, that will cause some trouble depending upon how far away from sRGB it is. If your Zbook has the Dreamcolor monitor then that could easily explain the problem, since that’s a wide gamut monitor. HP has a utility for Dreamcolor monitor calibration, you should be sure to run that. Otherwise, try to find a colour profile in Windows which says “ZBook Studio G3” and try using that one instead.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 89 of 112, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see, thanks everyone for the explanations. I just thought to mention this because I found this big color difference too weird. But since no one else has jumped in to say that he also sees blue I guess it's not a common thing and clearly laptop-specific.

Reply 90 of 112, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't uploaded and posted an image for a while on this site. However, I had to use Imgur to host and link today as the usual site uploading and placing inline wouldn't preview images anymore? Anyone know why that is?

I'm posting from my usual Samsung Galaxy Note 9, however, I have recently upgraded from Android 9 to Android 10. Perhaps it's this that is causing the issue?

Reply 91 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
j^aws wrote on 2020-02-13, 23:25:

I haven't uploaded and posted an image for a while on this site. However, I had to use Imgur to host and link today as the usual site uploading and placing inline wouldn't preview images anymore? Anyone know why that is?

When you say it would not preview images when placing inline, what do you mean specifically? Did the attachments disappear from the post? Did they just not render in the preview? Did nothing render in the preview? Was there an error or timeout? I don’t have any error messages on this end. It appears others are posting images OK (e.g. Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today) and I was able to run some simple tests with no problem so it doesn’t seem to be universally broken at least.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 92 of 112, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Funny thing I noticed with the changed mousecursor on OS X. When I'm slowly creeping towards the left edge and wait a fraction once the cursor changes to the window-size-changer and then move on, the cursor stays the way Vogons changed it to...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 93 of 112, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote on 2020-02-14, 00:49:
j^aws wrote on 2020-02-13, 23:25:

When you say it would not preview images when placing inline, what do you mean specifically? Did the attachments disappear from the post? Did they just not render in the preview? Did nothing render in the preview? Was there an error or timeout? I don’t have any error messages on this end. It appears others are posting images OK (e.g. Re: Bought these (retro) hardware today) and I was able to run some simple tests with no problem so it doesn’t seem to be universally broken at least.

The preview seems to be working again when using the post editor. Was anything changed since my last post?

Below is what I meant:

20200214_200026.jpg
Filename
20200214_200026.jpg
File size
359.96 KiB
Views
File license
20200214_200026.jpg
Filename
20200214_200026.jpg
File size
359.96 KiB
Views
File license

Attachments

• 20200214_200150.jpg
    Filename
    20200214_200150.jpg
    File size
    286.56 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 95 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
j^aws wrote on 2020-02-14, 20:09:

The preview seems to be working again when using the post editor. Was anything changed since my last post?

Yes, though not anything that should have affected this. Please keep an eye on it and let me know if it starts happening again and we can continue investigating together.

j^aws wrote on 2020-02-14, 20:11:

EDIT: As I was submitting this, I had two image tags in the editor, but the preview was showing three images and has posted three?

It looks like you inserted the first image twice. The attachments list will always show up if the attachments are not all inlined to display the remaining non-inlined attachments.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 96 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote on 2020-02-14, 16:09:

Funny thing I noticed with the changed mousecursor on OS X. When I'm slowly creeping towards the left edge and wait a fraction once the cursor changes to the window-size-changer and then move on, the cursor stays the way Vogons changed it to...

I’m pretty sure this is a macOS bug in WindowServer. For years I’ve experienced all sorts of glitchy mouse behaviour in all sorts of software: Firefox, Illustrator, VirtualBox, anything that uses SDL, probably other things I’ve forgotten… Sometimes my cursor will get stuck using the arrow no matter what it’s hovering over. Sometimes when that happens, moving the cursor by a pixel causes the correct cursor to show up for one frame, as if multiple applications are fighting over it. Sometimes hovering over a text box on a web page still changes the cursor but hovering over a link on the same page doesn’t (how does that even work?!). Sometimes the mouse cursor is supposed to be hidden, the OS reports it as hidden, and it still draws it anyway. Sometimes I can just wave the mouse across multiple windows when these things happen until the OS finally decides it knows what’s happening again. Sometimes I have to restart applications to fix it. I’ve never been able to reliably reproduce the problem, it happens seemingly at random. I’d guess it probably happens all the time to you too and you just don’t normally notice. In any case there’s not a thing that content can do when the OS window manager is the broken thing. 🙁

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 97 of 112, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote on 2020-02-15, 03:21:
Yes, though not anything that should have affected this. Please keep an eye on it and let me know if it starts happening again a […]
Show full quote
j^aws wrote on 2020-02-14, 20:09:

Yes, though not anything that should have affected this. Please keep an eye on it and let me know if it starts happening again and we can continue investigating together.

j^aws wrote on 2020-02-14, 20:11:

EDIT: As I was submitting this, I had two image tags in the editor, but the preview was showing three images and has posted three?

It looks like you inserted the first image twice. The attachments list will always show up if the attachments are not all inlined to display the remaining non-inlined attachments.

Okay, I'll keep an eye out for the first query.

Regarding the multiple images, I had 2 inline image tags and 2 image attachments loaded in the editor when I posted.

Before posting, I did load 1 image attachment and added 1 inline tag (this is the image showing in my post above with the DOS CPUID tool) and took screenshots, then deleted the tag and attachment in the editor before loading 2 new images. I added 2 inline image tags and 2 attachments were present.

However, posting/ previewing showed 3 images instead? It looks like a buffer wasn't cleared and a duplicate image was posted. There should've been 2 images posted, not 3. Any ideas?

Reply 98 of 112, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
j^aws wrote on 2020-02-15, 16:28:

Before posting, I did load 1 image attachment and added 1 inline tag (this is the image showing in my post above with the DOS CPUID tool) and took screenshots, then deleted the tag and attachment in the editor before loading 2 new images. I added 2 inline image tags and 2 attachments were present.

However, posting/ previewing showed 3 images instead? It looks like a buffer wasn't cleared and a duplicate image was posted. There should've been 2 images posted, not 3. Any ideas?

According to the raw BBCode of that post, image 1 was inlined to the post two times. Image 2 was inlined zero times. Therefore, there were two inlined copies of image 1, and one copy of image 2 in the attachments list at the end of the post.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 99 of 112, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Snover wrote on 2020-02-15, 16:44:
j^aws wrote on 2020-02-15, 16:28:

According to the raw BBCode of that post, image 1 was inlined to the post two times. Image 2 was inlined zero times. Therefore, there were two inlined copies of image 1, and one copy of image 2 in the attachments list at the end of the post.

This looks like a culmination of an earlier bug I reported during the early days of the new forum, where there were no inline image tags in the editor and attachments being deleted/ added to the list, but incorrect images were being previewed.

I did multiple previews before posting those 3 images. I could only see 2 inline tags in the editor, and below them, only 2 attachments were showing uploaded. There would've been 3 showing as uploaded but I had already deleted the first.

Like the earlier query, the issue seems to be gone, so I can't replicate it anymore.