Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 520 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote on 2020-02-04, 07:51:

You can click on the "last reply" bit to get to the last page.
Is it really important to know the number of pages? Isn't the number of replies the better thing to know? Number of pages is a very arbitrary thing. For 40 replies you could have 1 page, or 40 or something in between.

I didn't know the date/time on the Newest Post was a clickable link that does this as it is not underlined. I can understand why it's not underlined aesthetically but it is counter-intuitive. The only underlined thing is the nick of the poster and that takes you to the poster's profile..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 521 of 743, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2020-02-04, 07:51:

You can click on the "last reply" bit to get to the last page.
Is it really important to know the number of pages? Isn't the number of replies the better thing to know? Number of pages is a very arbitrary thing. For 40 replies you could have 1 page, or 40 or something in between.

So the icon is a link, all right, non standard...

It may or may not be important. You previously had both pieces of information. Now less. Let's say you know there's something you want to see on page 3. Currently it's page 5 (but who the hell knows until you get in there now). Well, you can't, first you go to page 1 or "latest."

And for 40 replies, I have a feeling, if this forum works like a forum is supposed to work, the number of replies per page is not variable. So pages gives you a sense of how long this thing is before you open it.

Reply 522 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

The link icon being a link is pretty much standard, but just clicking on the date works, too.
There always IS some need to get accustomed to how a new forum works. It's different than before but you can get used to it.
So there is a standard of how many replies make a page in forums? Or is it how many lines have been posted?
To me the number of replies give me much more information of how long a thread is than the number of pages.
Imagine, it's a 20 pages thread, it's very likely that the page you wanted to go to didn't even display in the threads view anyway. In that case the legwork was the same, wasn't it?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 523 of 743, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is the "\ VOGONS" at the end of the page title really supposed to be there? It sounds a bit weird?

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 524 of 743, by Azarien

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The contrast between "blurple" background and white text is too high in my opinion. Make the text less white? just slightly gray.
So I went to the old skool color setting, but now the black font is too thin.
I don't like the font regardless of colors.

On the main page, there's too much space dedicated for subforum name and description (first column) and too little for the "newest post" (last column).

Reply 525 of 743, by rfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

🤷‍♀️

Azarien wrote on 2020-02-06, 19:32:

The contrast between "blurple" background and white text is too high in my opinion. Make the text less white? just slightly gray

This new contrast improved things > 100% for me. In the old forum, the contrast was quite bad actually and put quite some strain on my eyes.

Now it's almost perfect. Actually I was really surprised _how well_ the contrast truly is

Just FTR I've added an attachment how it looks on my system (Firefox, OSX):

Snip20200207_228.png
Filename
Snip20200207_228.png
File size
44.59 KiB
Views
File comment
screenshot of font
File license
Public domain

(not dissing the issue you have, just providing a different POV, thanks)

Reply 527 of 743, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a great button "New" that takes you to the first unread post in the thread. I like it very much, otherwise it takes some time to catch up. However, on mobile platforms the "New" button is hidden behind "..." and the "Reply" button is visible. Would it be possible to rearrange them so that the "New" button is always there? Before you reply it is a good idea (and good manners) to actually read the thread and by the time you've read the last post you can reply in the text field below and there is no reason to scroll back up and, in fact, ever use the "Reply" button.

Reply 528 of 743, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How do I view a list of my topics? I seemingly can only view a list of my posts... also the button to view Your Posts lists topics you've poted in rather than your posts so how are you supposed to use that to find your posts?

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 529 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your Posts always worked like that, since I joined the forum, before the upgrade.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 530 of 743, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just upgraded my iPad to iOS13 and noticed another flickering issue. On the main page, when the dithered rows pass under the Safari title bar, they flicker... a lot. Screenshot attached for clarity.

If possible, please replace all remaining instances of those dithered patterns with solid colors, as it was already done for some of them.

IMG_0581.jpg
Filename
IMG_0581.jpg
File size
264.14 KiB
Views
File comment
iPad flicker
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 531 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-02-11, 07:45:

Just upgraded my iPad to iOS13 and noticed another flickering issue. On the main page, when the dithered rows pass under the Safari title bar, they flicker... a lot. Screenshot attached for clarity.

If possible, please replace all remaining instances of those dithered patterns with solid colors, as it was already done for some of them.

IMG_0581.jpg

This is normal for almost everything that goes under that title bar, because the title bar has a glass transparent effect. This is not a serious issue or in fact an issue. FYI I also have an iPad (Pro “12 2nd Gen) with iOS 13 and I never saw a problem with that.

Last edited by Bruninho on 2020-02-11, 13:09. Edited 1 time in total.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 532 of 743, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-02-11, 11:58:

This is normal for almost everything that goes under that title bar, because the title bar has an glass transparent effect.

I have visited dozens of other websites and never seen the flickering appear.

On those websites, items that go under the transparent title bar become blurred and meld together nicely. In case of Vogons, the dithered pattern instead causes the title bar to rapidly flicker black/white. That's not normal.

It seems that the problem is more pronounced under Apple's new Dark Mode. I switched back to Light Mode and it's less perceptible, but still there. I have a 5th generation iPad from 2016 (not Pro) in case that matters.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 533 of 743, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-02-11, 12:10:

In case of Vogons, the dithered pattern instead causes the title bar to rapidly flicker black/white. That's not normal.

I can confirm the same behavior on a 6th gen iPad. Switching to the Old skool theme makes the issue go away, or at least so faint that I can't see it.

Reply 534 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've disabled all the dithered backgrounds through a userstyle, simply set the background image to none in the post headers and everywhere else it appears.

should look something like this:
.post_header { background-image: none; }

also need to do it for the forum overview...
download/file.php?id=75612&mode=view

Reply 535 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
devius wrote on 2020-02-11, 13:27:
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-02-11, 12:10:

In case of Vogons, the dithered pattern instead causes the title bar to rapidly flicker black/white. That's not normal.

I can confirm the same behavior on a 6th gen iPad. Switching to the Old skool theme makes the issue go away, or at least so faint that I can't see it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I use the Old Skool as well.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 536 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't post images with the word RAGE in the name, for some reason; the error I get is:

"Reaction image posts are off-topic on VOGONS."

I am simply trying to post the image of an ATI Rage 128 recent purchase..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 537 of 743, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few days ago I first got the Some attachments are no longer available. Please check and re-attach any missing files. message, then it went away, but now it's back.

Have anyone else got this when they try and attach files please?

Reply 538 of 743, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-02-12, 09:33:

I can't post images with the word RAGE in the name, for some reason; the error I get is:

"Reaction image posts are off-topic on VOGONS."

I am simply trying to post the image of an ATI Rage 128 recent purchase..

I have the same problem with "Reaction image posts are off-topic on VOGONS." I already renamed the file, no change. Its a screenshot.

Image posting is really annoying now. Other problem with large photos. If the file size is around 1.7 MB Vogons complains that it cannot be resized to 2 MB...? Only solution is to resize the image to a smaller resolution.

Reply 539 of 743, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-12, 18:42:

A few days ago I first got the Some attachments are no longer available. Please check and re-attach any missing files. message, then it went away, but now it's back.

It's just done it again twice, but it seems if I make the post then edit it to add the attachment it seems to play nicely.

Update @ 23:55, I got the issue again and needed to make the post then edit it to add the attachment.