VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What is the best way to solder on tiny 10uf. Polymer capacitors.
These are really tiny and not easy to solder on with an iron.
Should I be using a heat gun instead ?
What temp should I set my iron or heat gun ?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Set the temp of your soldering device to a bit above whatever the melting point of your solder is IF you have already removed the old solder from the circuit board. It also depends on if you are soldering to a large ground plane or not.

I would use a hot air soldering gun with a small tip.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 8, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like to think I have some soldering skills and experience, both with THT and SMD parts. I've designed a PCB with SMD electrolytics once and I'm not going to repeat that mistake anytime soon.
My suggestion would be use a soldering iron with a good tip (at least 3mm flat one, none of these useless sharp points) and just solder the sticking out bits to the pads - assuming the pads are long enough but should be. This'll give you acceptable electrical and mechanical connection, and there's no risk of overheating the cap (unless your iron is set way too cold or too hot). If it's for personal use then lead-based solder is preferable as it's easier to work with.

Reply 3 of 8, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Check my signature link "Circuit Board Repair Manuals" to the IPC 7711B/7721B material. It is basically the same as section 5.3 "Chip Installation". (PDF document part 2) Point to point method in section 5.3.2 works best and would be the easiest. Hot air works well, but you can easily scorch surrounding areas and the component if you haven't used it before. It also wouldn't be good for the plastic base of the capacitor, probably melt it.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 5 of 8, by Bige4u

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Liquid/paste flux is your best friend.

Example video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dFPohUHxa8

Pentium3 1400s/ Asus Tusl2-c / Kingston 512mb pc133 cl2 / WD 20gb 7200rpm / GeForce3 Ti-500 64mb / Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 SB0100 / 16x dvdrom / 3.5 Floppy / Enermax 420w / Win98se

Reply 6 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

100% Agree on flux paste. 559 is the go to flux. I use it for phone repairs (bga is tiny!) and any electronics.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 8, by junglemontana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RoberMC wrote on 2020-02-13, 20:33:

They are even easier to solder than through hole ones when using a proper fine tip soldering iron.

I agree, but you need good equipment. SMD soldering with poor equipment is real pain.

Some tips that may be useful, from my personal experience:

-Use a good quality, adjustable soldering iron with enough power and a suitable tip. Larger tip makes it easier to heat the target, especially when it's a part of a large trace.

-If you are replacing existing components, clean the circuit board pads with a solder wick. Adding flux may help. Do not overheat the pads or use violence, they may detach. If the wick sticks to the board, do not pull it with force! Heat it instead.

-Leaded solder is easier to work with as people already have said.

Reply 8 of 8, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
junglemontana wrote on 2020-02-14, 08:45:

-If you are replacing existing components, clean the circuit board pads with a solder wick. Adding flux may help. Do not overheat the pads or use violence, they may detach. If the wick sticks to the board, do not pull it with force! Heat it instead.

-Leaded solder is easier to work with as people already have said.

Flux will help.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder