VOGONS

Reply 120 of 1061, by TurnedToast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So if I understand correctly, this includes full intelligent mode MPU-401 support like your other card and is a good, normal soundblaster compatible ISA sound card all in one? I... I might need to buy 2 of them

Windows 98 - Socket 370 - 1Ghz Pentium III (Coppermine) - Voodoo 3 3000 - Diamond Vortex2/Soundblaster Live!
DOS - Socket 7 - 233Mhz Pentium MMX

Reply 121 of 1061, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is a distinct tonal difference between SB Pro and SB 16 to my ears but I am hard pressed to differentiate SB 16 from ESFM (such as ES1688 ES1868 etc.). The sample here sounds fine to me..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 125 of 1061, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-02-13, 22:56:

Could you give me a general idea of pricing? I want the more premium one with PCMIDI.

As mentioned previously, pricing hasn't been released yet. I have been bothering them enough to know that testing is still on-going, and the board design isn't quite final yet. I'm sure they will announce pricing details once they know exactly how much each board will cost to make. Nobody would be happy if they said one thing now, then had to change the numbers because supply problems or design revisions increased the board cost.

Reply 126 of 1061, by Nitroraptor53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
640K!enough wrote on 2020-02-14, 03:55:
Nitroraptor53 wrote on 2020-02-13, 22:56:

Could you give me a general idea of pricing? I want the more premium one with PCMIDI.

As mentioned previously, pricing hasn't been released yet. I have been bothering them enough to know that testing is still on-going, and the board design isn't quite final yet. I'm sure they will announce pricing details once they know exactly how much each board will cost to make. Nobody would be happy if they said one thing now, then had to change the numbers because supply problems or design revisions increased the board cost.

Agreed. Just didn't want to read through 7 pages to possibly find something.

Reply 127 of 1061, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

While putting the current-generation prototype through its paces, I thought a few more recordings might be in order. As I've done before, there are three of them. If you'd care to share an opinion and/or guess, these are the things I'd be interested in:

1. Are you noticing any differences?
  2. What do you like/dislike?
  3. What do you think produced each recording?

Yes, they are all clips of the same Adlib Tracker II file, completely unprocessed. Volume was set to be approximately the same before recording, so differences in mixer settings may have resulted in slightly different volume levels, and I didn't try to correct it later.

Filename
A (Encore - AB_JULIA.A2M).mp3
File size
1.63 MiB
Downloads
110 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
B (Encore - AB_JULIA.A2M).mp3
File size
1.53 MiB
Downloads
115 downloads
File license
Filename
C (Encore - AB_JULIA.A2M).mp3
File size
1.63 MiB
Downloads
103 downloads
File license

Reply 128 of 1061, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
640K!enough wrote on 2020-03-14, 05:25:

[*]Are you noticing any differences?
[*]What do you like/dislike?
[*]What do you think produced each recording?

I listened through my speakers (no headphone) :

Differences :
All sound good.
There's a clear difference between B, and A or C :
B has less punch, less low end and sounds brighter than A/C
A/C sound very similar, both have more punch but also a little more muffled than B
Between C and A, hard to tell what, but I think I prefer C, it feel better defined, but i cannot pinpoint it. so maybe different OPL FM implementation.

What do you like/dislike? :
In general i like the whole Orpheus project !!!!
More specific, i like the bassy sounds in A and C, above B sound. But if not comparing like this, all would be fine.

What do you think produced each recording?
No idea. B may be going through a different output stage than A or C, at least. Maybe they are just all different OPL / FM implementations.

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 129 of 1061, by j^aws

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
640K!enough wrote on 2020-03-14, 05:25:
While putting the current-generation prototype through its paces, I thought a few more recordings might be in order. As I've do […]
Show full quote

While putting the current-generation prototype through its paces, I thought a few more recordings might be in order. As I've done before, there are three of them. If you'd care to share an opinion and/or guess, these are the things I'd be interested in:

1. Are you noticing any differences?
  2. What do you like/dislike?
  3. What do you think produced each recording?

Yes, they are all clips of the same Adlib Tracker II file, completely unprocessed. Volume was set to be approximately the same before recording, so differences in mixer settings may have resulted in slightly different volume levels, and I didn't try to correct it later.

A (Encore - AB_JULIA.A2M).mp3
B (Encore - AB_JULIA.A2M).mp3
C (Encore - AB_JULIA.A2M).mp3

1) Yes.
2) C> B> A> where C is the punchiest and most dynamic with deepest bass.
3) Can't say which OPL chip.

Reply 130 of 1061, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have any interest in comparing the recordings above without bias, then don't read any more of this text (and maybe not the rest of the thread yet, either). With that warning out of the way, it should be safe to reveal the secret:

Spoiler

Two out of the three recordings came from the Orpheus prototype. Because the analogue stage is likely to undergo some amount of tweaking, both of the recordings were made using the analogue output of my S/PDIF decoder/DAC unit, so are not representative of the quality of the final Orpheus analogue line-out. Now, the details:

1. Orpheus OPL3 (YMF289) via S/PDIF with SRS "enhancement" disabled.
  2. Orpheus Crystal FM via S/PDIF with SRS "enhancement" disabled.
  3. Ad Lib Gold 1000 YMF262 (linear stereo mode).

You may ask, "why include the Ad Lib Gold?!". It was not to cheat or fool anyone. I still consider it the gold standard (pun not intended) in OPL3 implementation, and it was also intended as a test to see if anyone tried to bring out the old "I can hear the ~0.2 Hz difference between YMF289 and YMF262" argument. So far, no one has (all two of you!).

Also, I can't hear much difference between Orpheus OPL3 and Ad Lib Gold OPL3, which I consider to be a positive point of the card. It doesn't sound thin and tinny like some low-end cards of the 90s (including some from Creative).

Reply 131 of 1061, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

thanks 640K!enough for the work and insight!
next revision will be even better 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 134 of 1061, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FISHERMAN wrote on 2020-05-29, 13:12:

any updates??? i am also interested for this card !

same as mpus , waiting for parts for the final test card before production...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 135 of 1061, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This looks amazing. Sorry if this is a dumb question - but it looks like you have to choose between UART and Intelligent MPU-401 functionality? (I ask because I have uses for both).

Reply 136 of 1061, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

yes it is a hard-wired choice
but if you go the PCMIDI way there is no use for the CS4237 UART mpu since PCMIDI does both intelligent+uart modes

Reply 138 of 1061, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2020-05-29, 13:42:
FISHERMAN wrote on 2020-05-29, 13:12:

any updates??? i am also interested for this card !

same as mpus , waiting for parts for the final test card before production...

Want..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 139 of 1061, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So many sound card projects, so few optical inputs on my amp 🙁

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16