VOGONS

First post, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys,

I have access to a whole bunch of GFX and sound cards. By looking online and searching the forum here as well as vogonswiki I found a LOT of discussion and information, but as I am trying to evaluate the worthiness of these exact cards I could get I thought it was worthy of its own post 😀 I'd be happy to have more knowledgeable people look at the list in case I missed something. This is the GFX cards and here's the soundards cards thread.

- S3 Trio 3D/2x (not a bad all-around/highly compatible card I guess?)
- SiS6326 (shit then, shit now most probably? 😁)
- Matrox G400
- Matrox G550 G55+MDHA32DM 32MB 7012-03 (I believe they are decent TNT2/Voodoo3 alternative?)
- ASUS V8170/128M (apparently the "business" version of the GeForce4 MX 440, one of the best DX7 card around right? is it just as good?)
- ATi RAGE LT PRO, ATi 3D RAGE PRO, ATi RAGE 128 THEATER, ATi RAGE PRO TURBO (I know ATi Rage cards were always considered inferior, particularly because of poor early drivers, is that still right? Anything interesting in this bunch? see attached ati.png)
- Unidentified AGP card (probably shitty? see attached unidentified2.png)
- S3 Savage4 (meh, I guess? any interest anyway?)
- Unidentified AGP 256MB card (see attached unidentified3.png, probably a GeForce or Radeon?)

Thanks 😀

Attachments

• unidentified2.PNG
    Filename
    unidentified2.PNG
    File size
    905.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • unidentified3.PNG
    Filename
    unidentified3.PNG
    File size
    1.2 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • ati.png
    Filename
    ati.png
    File size
    883.36 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 2 of 8, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fair clarification 😀 actually a bit of everything, basically usefulness and power, and also potential rarity.

Not thinking about selling at this point, but would consider swapping or if someone was particularly interested in something we could always discuss !

Reply 3 of 8, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It really depends on if they are of any value to you. Your sound card list looks a little bit more attractive to me.

Not every piece of retro hw is collectible.

Personally, I'd recycle these. Perhaps with exception of the G400.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 5 of 8, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would keep the Savage4. If you really will throw it away send it to me.

I would also keep one of the Rage AIW cards with the tuner and VIVO.

The G400 definitely stays. G550 stays if PCI.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 7 of 8, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What do you want from the card?

There are reasons to have almost all the cards in the list.

S3 Trio 3D/2x - Good DOS compatibility, low power and heat.
SiS6326 - Seem more likely to have TV out in a PCI format, that might be needed.
Matrox G400 - Great VGA output quality, Roughtly TNT2 performance on Direct3D Titles. Often Dual monitor
Matrox G550 - Similar to G400.
ASUS V8170/128M - Cheap DX7 card, good compatibility with motherboards and reasonable performance. Dirt cheap on the 2nd hand market. Cooling requirements are not onerous.
ATi RAGE LT PRO, ATi 3D RAGE PRO, ATi RAGE 128 THEATER, ATi RAGE PRO TURBO - More RIva 128/TNT/TNT2 alternatives. Great linux drivers.
S3 Savage4 - S3TC support