VOGONS

First post, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone have a driver for this card?

Attachments

• OPTi 82C950.jpg
    Filename
    OPTi 82C950.jpg
    File size
    342.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do.. but I hope you don't actually plan on paying the stupid amount that the eBay seller wants for that particular card.

The 82C950 is not the actual chip that handles everything from what I have found. It is that AT&T chip to the left of the Opti chip.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 2 of 20, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-14, 17:46:

I do.. but I hope you don't actually plan on paying the stupid amount that the eBay seller wants for that particular card.

The 82C950 is not the actual chip that handles everything from what I have found. It is that AT&T chip to the left of the Opti chip.

No, I have already found that card. Before cleaning:

Attachments

• opti.jpg
    Filename
    opti.jpg
    File size
    630.8 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, I'll upload the drivers to vogonsdrivers tonight after verifying they work. I actually both versions of that card - one with the multiple CD-ROM connections like yours and one with only IDE - like that pic from eBay.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, here is the link to my Google Drive for now. I'll put them on vogonsdrivers once I verify they work with my cards.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nKp_J4mhmgG … 9KWyN67TMHGW9AY

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 20, by RiP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cyclone3d wrote on 2020-02-15, 03:18:

Ok, here is the link to my Google Drive for now. I'll put them on vogonsdrivers once I verify they work with my cards.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nKp_J4mhmgG … 9KWyN67TMHGW9AY

Thank you very much. Would you explain those 3 files?

Reply 7 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, I'll have to test with my cards. Those were the only driver/app files I could locate for them.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 8 of 20, by crazybubba64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one of these cards as well (the one with only IDE). I have had an absolute hell of a time trying to get it working in win98se.
I believe these were special cards made for specific NCR telephone systems, as I found my drivers from an old NCR support site.

They are horrendously unstable in win98se. The drivers will bring the whole system to a halt in a matter of minutes. I'm not sure if my hardware is defective or if it's a compatibility issue. From what I remember, the drivers were intended for win95.

When I had the card somewhat working, the options for MIDI playback were horrible. The soundfonts/wavetables sounded like hot garbage, possibly the worst I've ever heard. I want to believe this is so that MIDIs could be used as hold music over the phone lines or something like that

I've attached the driver installer that I have used to this comment.

Sorry for bumping the thread, I wish I would have seen this when it was posted originally.

Attachments

• Filename
    PCC_mediamagic_telemetry.EXE
    File size
    2.15 MiB
    Downloads
    82 downloads
    File comment
    mediamagic telemetry 32 installer
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 20, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazybubba64 wrote on 2020-05-30, 20:46:
I have one of these cards as well (the one with only IDE). I have had an absolute hell of a time trying to get it working in wi […]
Show full quote

I have one of these cards as well (the one with only IDE). I have had an absolute hell of a time trying to get it working in win98se.
I believe these were special cards made for specific NCR telephone systems, as I found my drivers from an old NCR support site.

They are horrendously unstable in win98se. The drivers will bring the whole system to a halt in a matter of minutes. I'm not sure if my hardware is defective or if it's a compatibility issue. From what I remember, the drivers were intended for win95.

When I had the card somewhat working, the options for MIDI playback were horrible. The soundfonts/wavetables sounded like hot garbage, possibly the worst I've ever heard. I want to believe this is so that MIDIs could be used as hold music over the phone lines or something like that

Sorry for bumping the thread, I wish I would have seen this when it was posted originally.

Thanks for the driver. I have this oddball card too. I unzipped the file and ran the AT&T software installer. I then did an Add New HW for non-PnP cards, and it found a Sound Blaster or compatible. But I got the yellow exclamation point in Device Manager. This is in 98SE.

Not sure what to do next. Did you get Device Manager to recognize any HW?

Reply 10 of 20, by crazybubba64

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
boxpressed wrote on 2020-05-30, 22:36:

Thanks for the driver. I have this oddball card too. I unzipped the file and ran the AT&T software installer. I then did an Add New HW for non-PnP cards, and it found a Sound Blaster or compatible. But I got the yellow exclamation point in Device Manager. This is in 98SE.

I did. I think I had to manually point to the specific drivers in one of the extracted directories. I haven't used it in awhile (as I would need to ditch the install and start from scratch), so I don't remember the exact location of the driver files. I think they get dumped in a subdirectory of C:\VCOS ?

Reply 11 of 20, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
crazybubba64 wrote on 2020-05-30, 23:51:
boxpressed wrote on 2020-05-30, 22:36:

I did. I think I had to manually point to the specific drivers in one of the extracted directories. I haven't used it in awhile (as I would need to ditch the install and start from scratch), so I don't remember the exact location of the driver files. I think they get dumped in a subdirectory of C:\VCOS ?

Right. I forgot to install the files from the ACC, PCC, and VCOS directories. The PCC is an updated version of the file you uploaded, I think.

Nevertheless, the whole thing was very weird. I could get some system sounds, but the Road Runner DSP and Sound Blaster both had yellow exclamation points. I remembered how much I hated this card. If I ever create a Windows 95 build, I may try it again. But for now, no more wasted time.

Reply 12 of 20, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
crazybubba64 wrote on 2020-05-30, 20:46:
I have one of these cards as well (the one with only IDE). I have had an absolute hell of a time trying to get it working in wi […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the info. I haven't had a chance to mess with my cards yet. In any case, the PCC.EXE on my google drive is the same size as the file you uploaded so guessing they are the same thing.

I'll have to see if I can get them working on a Win95 build and then try Win98 after that. Still have some other stuff I need to do first so this is on the backburner for now.

I don't think that this was meant for an NCR telephone system though as it was mentioned in Infoworld as being for a PC - June 6, 1994:
https://books.google.com/books?id=hzgEAAAAMBA … epage&q&f=false

MediaMagic-Telemetry-32-InfoWold-Jun-6-1994.PNG
Filename
MediaMagic-Telemetry-32-InfoWold-Jun-6-1994.PNG
File size
31.15 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And PC MAG had it as coming in an IPC Technologies Inc. - Autsin PowerPlus 75 home computer.
https://books.google.com/books?id=zZluSj3AT6Y … epage&q&f=false

MediaMagic-Telemetry-32-PC_MAG-Dec-19-1995.PNG
Filename
MediaMagic-Telemetry-32-PC_MAG-Dec-19-1995.PNG
File size
24.29 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Here are the two snips I posted in a zip file since they got destroyed by the forum's picture auto-resizing / compressing thing:

Filename
Media Magic Telemetry 32-articles-snips.zip
File size
666.25 KiB
Downloads
66 downloads
File license
Public domain

Compute Magazine - Issue 168 lists it and the retail price was $399:
https://archive.org/stream/1994-09-compute-ma … ge/n61/mode/2up
Text: https://www.atarimagazines.com/compute/issue1 … ultimedia_p.php

Soundcard-Drivers.com lists the drivers as being for Windows 95a.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 13 of 20, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The only reason I'm bothering so much with this card is that it seems like it has onboard wavetable, as stated in the PC Magazine snip. But I don't know which ones of the ICs would be the synth and which one is the ROM. At first I thought the big MediaMagic ICs were the ROM, but they're labeled ODD and EVEN, so that makes me think that they're BIOS chips. And that Samsung IC looks like RAM and not ROM. There are two smaller MediaMagic ICs marked ICMMMX1 and ICMMSSC1, so I imagine that MX1 and SC1 mean something. But it is encouraging that this was a retail card (or at least OEM for retail) at one point.

Reply 14 of 20, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is a "softsynth" on the card, running off the AT&T DSP chip, the big chips with odd and even are indeed the data ROMs for the DSP, probably containing both program code and samples.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 15 of 20, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2020-06-01, 01:35:

There is a "softsynth" on the card, running off the AT&T DSP chip, the big chips with odd and even are indeed the data ROMs for the DSP, probably containing both program code and samples.

Do you think it makes a difference installing on Windows 95 vs 98? Trying to decide whether I should install 95 for just this card.

Reply 16 of 20, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I imagine that shouldn't make a difference, both should behave in same way but you'll never know. Win 3.x and 95 are probably what the card is supposed to definitely run under.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 17 of 20, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tiido wrote on 2020-06-01, 09:45:

I imagine that shouldn't make a difference, both should behave in same way but you'll never know. Win 3.x and 95 are probably what the card is supposed to definitely run under.

Thanks -- I should have considered to try to install it under Windows 3.1. One of the snippets that cyclone3d included was from 1994, but I assumed that Windows 95 was the native OS for these drivers. Going to try again with my 3.1 build today.

Reply 18 of 20, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update -- can't start the installer in Windows 3.1. When I double click SETUP in the VCOS folder, I get an error saying that Setup can't find a compressed library file.

Reply 19 of 20, by Fox Mulder

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In my experience these non-PnP chipsets are very particular on their Win9x installation; unless you say no to the auto-scan option when prompted by Windows, specifically select "Other Devices" when it displays a list of known devices, and then ignore again the list containing manufacturer names and select the "Have Disk..." button, they are not detected at all, or when trying to detect them(OPTi 82C930 in my case) they could completely trash a Windows 95 installation.