VOGONS

First post, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have two Sony 2x CDU-33’s that need fixing.
The capacitors on the logic boards have burst and spread there junk all over the PCB.
Many capacitors have just fallen off.

Do you think these are worth fixing or not ?

They will need a complete PCB cleaning bath and replacing of all the capacitors.
That will be the only way to completely restore these to a reliable condition.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 15, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I didn't know they had bad caps ! I have one but it still works. I'm going to look after brand new caps then.

What are their refs ?

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 3 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don’t know what brand capacitors Sony used but they were cheap. They bursts and puked all over the PCB’s.
The gunk ate through the solder welds and the caps just fell off.

No wonder there are so few of these drives still around.

Anyone know what brand caps these are ?
Look at the photo above.

I have to look closer at the PCB’s.
The Pads maybe gone.

Reply 4 of 15, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's like with some Macintoshes... You could try to substitute them with solid polymer capacitors... Though this is just a suggestion, I'm not really fluent in electronics.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]

Reply 11 of 15, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does anyone know of any paintable copper trace material. That you can just paint on to rebuild the traces and pads ?
What about liquid solder that you can apply like glue and just glue on the capacitors ?

Any such materials exists ?

Reply 15 of 15, by Predator99

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thats mine. Bought new by myself (seems in 1995) and stored under good conditions.

No damage visible, no need to fix anything. Will check the drive if I still have the read errors I observed last time I tested it...

cdu33a.jpg
Filename
cdu33a.jpg
File size
1.33 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
cdu33b.jpg
Filename
cdu33b.jpg
File size