VOGONS

Reply 20 of 28, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From what I have seen G2 is usually between 100-150 after calibration, depending on model and age.

Did you actually perform the full white point balance procedure (for all color temps, 9300K, .. etc.) or just hexedited the G2 value?

Result should not be greenish, unless you are absolutely not used to how 9300K white point looks and prefer yellow (warm) tint of lower temperatures.

Also make sure to archive at least one backup DAT somewhere because it is easy to (temporarily) "brick" the monitor with incorrect settings and loading older backup DAT file is probably the only way to make it work again.

I would also like to say again that you should not perform any more Image Restorations now that you have WinDAS, ever. IR takes all your hard calibration work and throws it out the window basically.

98/XP multi-boot system with P55 chipset (build log)
Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 21 of 28, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No I didn't do the full white point balance yet, only reduced G2 value. Result WAS greenish, and it's not my perception I can guarantee you.

Here's how it went : the whole picture looked too bright and greenish before, and Image Restoration wouldn't do anything. After reducing the G2 value, the brightness was gone but not the greenish tint. Tried another Image Restoration and it immediately fixed it - if you have used that function before, you probably know how it goes : the screen went full grey (with still the greenish tint) then refreshed a couple of times (and every time the grey would become less and less green), it did 4 or 5 passes I guess and the final one I could immediately notice the grey/white was real and the green was completely gone. Then it automatically went back to my Windows98 desktop and it was so obvious the green tint was fixed.

I have close to 0 technical knowledge about CRT's, just stating my experience 😀

Reply 22 of 28, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You should be able to get even better results by doing WPB then. IR is more like a hammer.

Important tip, if you calibrate without 2nd monitor and accidentally move the WinDAS sliders so the screen is too dark, do not panic and carefully use keyboard arrows to adjust the number - do not press anything else. Don't remember if up/down or left/right, so test it first and make a note.

I suggest to not worry about perfection in your first few WPBs and accept roughly okay values/results and just learn how it works by repeating WPB several times. It will seem complex at first but you will soon find it is not that hard. If you try to be perfect on the targets from the start it can easily take you 1 hour to do one round and for learning purposes it is much better to rather do 6 rounds in 3 hours instead of only 3 rounds in 3 hours. Once you think you have mastered it, do 2-3 perfection passes and then move to ICM calibration. I can help you further with both, just ask. Although I do not have any special technical knowledge about the subject, I just happen to heavily use CRTs (for gaming).

Screenshots
10Hz FM

Reply 23 of 28, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well noted and I'll probably take on your offer 😉 I got everything needed to do it so I'll definitely do it. Thanks for all the tips. And yes - I did make a backup of the original .dat file I exported from the EEPROM!

Reply 24 of 28, by ShadowofBob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Glad it worked out so well! Image Restoration fixed the most significant issues on my G520, but I had another monitor nearby that was calibrated and could really see the color difference. That drove me to end up following that whole procedure in the HardForum white balance post. I had to use WinXP virtual machine on my Win7 laptop to WinDAS to run somewhat reliably.

Reply 25 of 28, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

might as well continue this thread with it... I have a Sony GDM-F520 that has a ever so slight but noticable convergence issue in the bottom right corner... unfortunately I can't really fix it with landing settings because iirc it just lets me adjust "axis" and not individual corners so that just creates issues in the opposite corners (I don't remember the OSD exactly, it's been a few months since I last played around with it, there are extensive settings for geometry, but any adjustment that made the corner better made other areas lose convergence), is that something you could theoretically fix with WinDAS or is there no way around fiddling with convergence strips? all hardware adjustmens in the service manual seem to be on axis too.

Reply 26 of 28, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Only thing I can tell you is that there are convergence settings that can be managed with WinDAS that's for sure, and for some models even a "Dynamic Convergence" setup that sounds to me like that could be what you're after...
Check this out:

http://dor-lomin.com/images/forums/hardocp/windas-conv/

Apparently my G500 doesn't support it though as that option is greyed out, but your F520 might. Wouldn't hurt to try to be honest, it's not expensive, you basically need a USB-TTL adapter (<5 bucks) and some cheap cable.

Reply 27 of 28, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

thank you, that does indeed look exactly like what I'm looking for, would be nice if my monitor would allow that.
I should have all the hardware already, just need to clean up more to get some space to work with it... gonna look out for the mentioned colorimeters though, for now colors don't seem off to me at least though ^^

Reply 28 of 28, by duga3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2020-02-15, 23:19:
Only thing I can tell you is that there are convergence settings that can be managed with WinDAS that's for sure, and for some m […]
Show full quote

Only thing I can tell you is that there are convergence settings that can be managed with WinDAS that's for sure, and for some models even a "Dynamic Convergence" setup that sounds to me like that could be what you're after...
Check this out:

http://dor-lomin.com/images/forums/hardocp/windas-conv/

Apparently my G500 doesn't support it though as that option is greyed out, but your F520 might. Wouldn't hurt to try to be honest, it's not expensive, you basically need a USB-TTL adapter (<5 bucks) and some cheap cable.

Yes, there is that and there are also convergence/landing procedures under Adjustment -> Procedure. Could be the same thing too, just linked into main menu for faster access, dunno.

I have heard about other people using WinDAS to fix these things with some success, but my CRTs have acceptable convergence/geometry so I never bothered to try it (yet). Any major convergence/geometry issues I was always able to fix using OSD menu settings or physical focus pots.

I can confirm that on GDM-F520 the Adjustment -> DCnv option is not greyed out.

Screenshots
10Hz FM