VOGONS

Reply 300 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-14, 19:56:

The whole 64MB is cacheable by L2 cache according to ctcm 1.6 (from the german ct magazine, Andreas Stiller)

Thank you for letting me know, I wonder why [Cache-0 Latency] works as expected some time and not others.

How are you getting on with your other EISA system?

BTW I have released 5.46 so you can now use this rather than the test SIV, did SIV tell you there was a new release? It should do within the next day.

Reply 301 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-14, 20:39:
Thank you for letting me know, I wonder why [Cache-0 Latency] works as expected some time and not others. […]
Show full quote

The whole 64MB is cacheable by L2 cache according to ctcm 1.6 (from the german ct magazine, Andreas Stiller)

Thank you for letting me know, I wonder why [Cache-0 Latency] works as expected some time and not others.

BTW I have released 5.46 so you can now use this rather than the test SIV, did SIV tell you there was a new release? It should do within the next day.

Hello,

I switched over to my other 486 EISA computer today. If you are curious, you can find photos in this forum, it's a Compaq Prosignia Server (Model 3080)
I downloaded 5.46 and made tests with it.
EISA cards were all identified, but not the ISA Sound Blaster 16. It works in ISA Plug-and-Play mode, so it should be identified, shouldn't it? It is a minor point though.

On the main page: L1 cache is wrong should be 16k + 16k (instead of 8k +8k)
The mainboard cache is not shown on the mainpage, but it is identified in the latency-0 page.
Remark: The full 112MB RAM are cacheable by the L2 cache, a really superb 486 machine 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_P-cpq.txt
    File size
    206.44 KiB
    Downloads
    44 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • siv-cpq-main.jpg
    Filename
    siv-cpq-main.jpg
    File size
    58.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • siv-cpq-latency.jpg
    Filename
    siv-cpq-latency.jpg
    File size
    84.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • siv-cpq-isa.jpg
    Filename
    siv-cpq-isa.jpg
    File size
    121.91 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • siv-cpq-drives.jpg
    Filename
    siv-cpq-drives.jpg
    File size
    35.39 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 302 of 1037, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-16, 14:29:
Hello, […]
Show full quote
Thank you for letting me know, I wonder why [Cache-0 Latency] works as expected some time and not others. […]
Show full quote

Hello,

I switched over to my other 486 EISA computer today. If you are curious, you can find photos in this forum, it's a Compaq Prosignia Server (Model 3080)
EISA cards were all identified, but not the ISA Sound Blaster 16. It works in ISA Plug-and-Play mode, so it should be identified, shouldn't it? It is a minor point though.

The mainboard cache is not shown on the mainpage, but it is identified in the latency-0 page.
Remark: The full 112MB RAM are cacheable by the L2 cache, a really superb 486 machine 😀

Could you please try HWiNFO32 too? I'm wondering if it will recognize the PnP device too.

Reply 303 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-02-16, 15:16:
Hello, […]
Show full quote

Hello,

Could you please try HWiNFO32 too? I'm wondering if it will recognize the PnP device too.

Sure, I answered in the hwinfo thread.
Remark: Unfortunately it seems the harddisk dies slowly, seem to have already a lot of bad sectors. Might have to reinstall everything soon 🙁

Reply 304 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for checking out SIV and I will fix this for 5.47, add the L2 cache and make a few other adjustments. I am half way through a rework of the SIV SMART reporting so it won't be today, but maybe tomorrow.

The Creative Sound Blaster 16 Plug & Play has a PnP ID of ISAPNP\CTL00F0_DEV0000\FFFFFFFF so I will adjust SIV to allow for this.

I hope the disk is OK.

Reply 305 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Compaq Prosignia Server (Model 3080)

Sorry for the delay, the SMART changes took a while. I have made several adjustments to the SIV32L 5.47 Beta-00 attached to SIV support for 386/486/586 class + Alpha CPUs and 3dfx + S3 + SiS + Matrox + XGI + old ATI + NVidia GPUs - Testing Help and please may I have a new save file.

file.php?id=77155

Are all your systems called P? Does this not cause issues with your network? Given it's a compaQ I would call it Q 😀

Attachments

• Q.png
    Filename
    Q.png
    File size
    44.39 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-20, 20:22. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 306 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For SIV 5.47 Beta-00 I have implemented support for SATA/PATA SMART reporting on Windows 9x and would like to get feedback on it. When you first run SIV you may now get a pop-up panel stating the system needs to be rebooted.

file.php?id=77203

Once you reboot then SIV should report the SMART data for SATA/PATA drives. SCSI log sense is supported on WNT + W2K + WXP + … and I don't think it's possible on W9x.

file.php?id=77185

I have tried it on both WMe + W98SE and suspect it will work on W95. The latest SIV beta is attached to SIV support for 386/486/586 class + Alpha CPUs and 3dfx + S3 + SiS + Matrox + XGI + old ATI + NVidia GPUs - Testing Help

Attachments

• VSD Reboot.png
    Filename
    VSD Reboot.png
    File size
    16.46 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • RK3.png
    Filename
    RK3.png
    File size
    47.36 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-20, 20:24. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 308 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglar wrote on 2020-02-20, 02:53:

Awesome! I was just looking for something like this!! I'll try it out tomorrow.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing how well SIV works.

I have just released SIV32L 5.47 Beta-00 which is attached to SIV support for 386/486/586 class + Alpha CPUs and 3dfx + S3 + SiS + Matrox + XGI + old ATI + NVidia GPUs - Testing Help and does rather better on systems with multiple disk drives. If SIV fails to report all your ATA disks then do SIV32L -DBGSDM > SIV_DBGOUT.log and post the .log file.

Attachments

• SIV -DBGSDM.png
    Filename
    SIV -DBGSDM.png
    File size
    3.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-21, 17:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 309 of 1037, by macroexp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ray -

Attached are the two files you requested from my Dual PIII-1Ghz, 1GB ECC RAM build. It indeed is only showing three DIMMs on the summary page, when there are 4.

OddDimmDisplay.PNG
Filename
OddDimmDisplay.PNG
File size
7.95 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

It shows all the memory banks being filled in the Machine page, but oddly shows "Type Parity EDO DIMM" in Memory Controller, and "Type DIMM Other" in the memory slots. The SPD page looks all correct, detecting all four DIMMS as SDRAM.

Please let me know if you want me to run further tests or whatever I can do to help.

Attachments

Reply 310 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
macroexp wrote on 2020-02-21, 01:41:

"Type DIMM Other" in the memory slots. The SPD page looks all correct, detecting all four DIMMS as SDRAM.

Thank you for checking this out and posting the save files. The Type DIMM Other on the [ Machine ] panel is down to what the BIOS sets up as the SMBIOS data, notice it's also reporting 8 DIMMs when the motherboard only has 4 installed and I assume 4 DIMM slots.

When I checked SIV had some code to allow for incorrect P2B SMBIOS data, SIV limited the value to 3 for the P2B so for SIV 5.47 Beta-00 I removed this for the P2B-D with the net result that 8 DIMMs should be reported!

Now I know the P2B-D reports 8 DIMMs for Beta-01 I will apply a limit of 4, please will you try the attached P2B-D-01 test SIV and confirm 4 DIMMs are reported on the initial screen?

Does SIV do OK on your Dual Pentium Pro and 486 systems?

Edit 22-Feb-2020: I just spotted that [ GPU Info ] had issues which were triggered by the very old NVIDIA NVAPI Version 175.19 Library and I think I have fixed them so please may I have new save files so I can check.

Reply 311 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-17, 02:09:
Sorry for the delay, the SMART changes took a while. I have made several adjustments to the SIV32L 5.47 Beta-00 attached to SIV […]
Show full quote

Compaq Prosignia Server (Model 3080)

Sorry for the delay, the SMART changes took a while. I have made several adjustments to the SIV32L 5.47 Beta-00 attached to SIV support for 386/486/586 class + Alpha CPUs and 3dfx + S3 + SiS + Matrox + XGI + old ATI + NVidia GPUs - Testing Help and please may I have a new save file.

file.php?id=77155

Are all your systems called P? Does this not cause issues with your network? Given it's a compaQ I would call it Q 😀

Hello,

Sorry for the delay...
I tested with the 5.47beta the Compaq Prosignia Server

So the 256kB mainboard cache is here now.
The sound blaster 16 plug and play is still not shown under ISA devices, should it work?
Then I see some nearly entry screen ("sabled"), I guess I clicked on drives info.
But I don't think there is SMART info available on this machine, but I could be wrong.

Save local file will follow, too.

Will check on the second 486 (Micronics ASIC Eisa board), too.

Attachments

• siv-isa.jpg
    Filename
    siv-isa.jpg
    File size
    122.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • siv-drive-status.jpg
    Filename
    siv-drive-status.jpg
    File size
    20.78 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    SIV_P-2020-02-22.zip
    File size
    47.11 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File license

Reply 312 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-22, 18:48:

The sound blaster 16 plug and play is still not shown under ISA devices, should it work?
Then I see some nearly entry screen ("sabled"), I guess I clicked on drives info.
But I don't think there is SMART info available on this machine, but I could be wrong.

Thank you for checking things out and the new save file. The missing sound blaster was down to a typo. ATA SMART is not available as you have SCSI disks, but the panel should say this so I have adjusted things.

I suspect the attached SIV32L 5.47 Tidy-01 should tidy things up, does it please?

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-22, 22:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 313 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-22, 19:54:

Thank you for checking things out and the new save file. The missing sound blaster was down to a typo. ATA SMART is not available as you have SCSI disks, but the panel should say this so I have adjusted things.

I suspect the attached SIV32L 5.47 Tidy-01 should tidy things up, does it please?

Hi, You are too fast for me, I just switched over to the other machine, I have only for monitor for those PCs and use the same power cord, so it's not a problem that they are all named "P" 😁.
Ok, on the other machine (non-plug and play soundblaster 16), also a strange output for drives info.
By the way for both machines the mainboard L2 cache is correctly displayed, SIV is the only tool, that can do this, good job...

So I will switch over to the new version and post again the "Save Local" File, will start with Micronics board machine.

Reply 314 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-22, 19:54:

OK, I will attach debug files for the two 486 machines.
For both: The Drives Info is fixed, there is no temperature to be read out.

But for the Compaq: The ISA Plug and Play Sound Blaster 16 is still not shown under ISA devices.

Attachments

• Filename
    SIV_P-2.zip
    File size
    47.08 KiB
    Downloads
    57 downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    SIV_P.zip
    File size
    44.95 KiB
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File license

Reply 315 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-22, 20:56:

But for the Compaq: The ISA Plug and Play Sound Blaster 16 is still not shown under ISA devices.

Thank you for checking thing out with Tidy-01, but in the save file the ISA Plug and Play Sound Blaster 16 is listed. Are you sure it's not there?

I too only have one monitor and a KVM, but often have multiple systems booted. At the moment I rename the Compaq SIV_P.txt to SIV_Q.txt , but "I have a plan..." 😀

file.php?id=77477

Attachments

Last edited by red-ray on 2020-02-22, 22:46. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 316 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-22, 21:33:
Thank you for checking thing out with Tidy-01, but in the save file the ISA Plug and Play Sound Blaster 16 is listed. Are you su […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-22, 20:56:

Thank you for checking thing out with Tidy-01, but in the save file the ISA Plug and Play Sound Blaster 16 is listed. Are you sure it's not there?

I too only have one monitor and a KVM, but often have multiple systems booted. At the moment I rename the Compaq SIV_P.txt to SIV_Q.txt

file.php?id=77477

Yes, it's there, please ignore that comment 😀

Reply 317 of 1037, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-22, 21:46:

OK, is SIV now "good enough"?

I still feel it would be interesting to know what [ ISA Bus ] comes up with on an NT4/W2K/WXP EISA system, but think you could only install NT4. Will W2K even install/run on your 486 EISA systems please?

When I tried to install 2003 server on my Rise mP6 it refused so I changed the CPU to an AMD K6, installed 2003 then swapped back to the mP6 and much to my surprise it booted and runs OK 😀

file.php?id=77488

Attachments

• RRK.png
    Filename
    RRK.png
    File size
    30.63 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 318 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
red-ray wrote on 2020-02-22, 22:23:
OK, is SIV now "good enough"? […]
Show full quote
CoffeeOne wrote on 2020-02-22, 21:46:

OK, is SIV now "good enough"?

I still feel it would be interesting to know what [ ISA Bus ] comes up with on an NT4/W2K/WXP EISA system, but think you could only install NT4. Will W2K even install/run on your 486 EISA systems please?

When I tried to install 2003 server on my Rise mP6 it refused so I changed the CPU to an AMD K6, installed 2003 then swapped back to the mP6 and much to my surprise it booted and runs OK 😀

file.php?id=77488

Yes, clearly good enough.
I agree, NT series would be nice to test. NT 4.0 will run on those machines, the Compaq maybe is even strong enough for W2k, but with Pentium 83MHz still well below the recommended minimum requirements (which is Pentium 133MHz as far as I know).
But I won't do it at the moment, as I said, Windows 98 is nice to transfer files over the network, and it has great dos support 😀

Are you interested in newer hardware, too? I have some HP servers here, too. I booted my HP DL585 G7 with moderen CPUs (released end of 2012 😁)

Last edited by CoffeeOne on 2020-02-22, 23:56. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 319 of 1037, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So when it's already running, I could send you the save-local file, too ....

I must say, SIV has a disadvantage, it contains so much information, so I don't know where I shall look.

OK, but on the starting page the FSB 175MHz is for sure not right, FSB is always 200MHz for that computer .... All power safe modes are disabled, so it runs at 2.8GHz or 3.2GHz with Turbo, SIV gets confused as it seems.

Attachments

• siv-opt6386.JPG
    Filename
    siv-opt6386.JPG
    File size
    384.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • Filename
    SIV_HP_DL585_G7.zip
    File size