VOGONS

Reply 20 of 33, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do agree with the other posters. Just use what you have. 😀
Another "trick" is using these old coloured cables inside old PCs, which often connect switches and the speaker to the mainboard.
Just grab two of them each and wire them together. Voila, you've got about the same as these expensive Arduino/Raspberry Pi GPIO cables. 😀

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 21 of 33, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IDC cables are so easy to make. A roll of ribbon cable and some various 2.54mm pitch female IDC connectors are a great investment for any retro enthusiast. Make your own to-length floppy / IDE / SCSI cables! 😁

Reply 22 of 33, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cuttoon wrote on 2020-02-23, 07:16:

...or you could just saw a random old floppy cable or COM breakout into pieces or go to town with a soldering iron 😉

Nobody has a pinout, ever.
Everyone has a continuity tester!

You best test continuity from one side to the other. I did this and could not get the pins to match up. The offset always made it off by one pin on a certain row.

You're much better off buying new ones. These sell for less than $1 or so shipped from China.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 23 of 33, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No luck on those chinese ones, at least not under the name "sb_link cable"

Found a German mailorder, though. Didn't test it, but should do the trick for € 1,99 + shipping:
https://www.reichelt.de/pfostenverbinder-2-54 … 66-p262788.html

I like jumpers.

Reply 25 of 33, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-03-02, 20:32:

No you just need a 3x2 straight through ribbon cable. They will most certainly not be called SBLINK or PC/PCI cables...that is long, long dead technology those only weirdos like us know about.

Sure, which is why I looked for "Flachbandkabel 2x3" on Reichelt.
Granted, those on Ebay even ship for free and are more colourful.
Don't know about Reichelt's international shipping costs, but quite a few of us weirdos seem to reside in Germany. ;)

EDIT: To admin/moderator: Somewhere else, links to the Bay got deletet. I understand the idea behind that, but am unclear whether that applies only to auctions or also to trivial, fixed-price stuff that's merely hard to find. (And which I have no affiliation to, of course.)
If so, please delete the link, I'll take a note, sorry.

I like jumpers.

Reply 26 of 33, by Xeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cuttoon wrote on 2020-03-02, 20:46:
Sure, which is why I looked for "Flachbandkabel 2x3" on Reichelt. Granted, those on Ebay even ship for free and are more colour […]
Show full quote
kolderman wrote on 2020-03-02, 20:32:

No you just need a 3x2 straight through ribbon cable. They will most certainly not be called SBLINK or PC/PCI cables...that is long, long dead technology those only weirdos like us know about.

Sure, which is why I looked for "Flachbandkabel 2x3" on Reichelt.
Granted, those on Ebay even ship for free and are more colourful.
Don't know about Reichelt's international shipping costs, but quite a few of us weirdos seem to reside in Germany. 😉

EDIT: To admin/moderator: Somewhere else, links to the Bay got deletet. I understand the idea behind that, but am unclear whether that applies only to auctions or also to trivial, fixed-price stuff that's merely hard to find. (And which I have no affiliation to, of course.)
If so, please delete the link, I'll take a note, sorry.

How do I buy this cable? Just select 2 x 3p?

Reply 27 of 33, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xeen wrote on 2020-07-24, 03:45:

How do I buy this cable? Just select 2 x 3p?

I haven't bought those myself so far, but selecting "2 X 3P 300mm" in the upper drop-down-menu should get you a single cable with two rows of three pins. (30 cm should be ok for most boards, less might reduce clutter.)
~ 2 Dollar seems like a realistic retail price for generic, mass produced stuff like that.
Btw., the red line in the description
"( Note:You need to connector them by yourself )"
seems a bit of a catch, though. Possibly just a parts kit and you'll have to do all the fumbly bits yourself. But with some kind of plyers, that's doable with six dupont plugs, they're not that small.
(The Reichelt offer might me more convenient, if shipping isn't the issue.)

I like jumpers.

Reply 28 of 33, by gundstaff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gerwin wrote on 2011-01-15, 16:34:

Behold!

Forgive my ignorance, this technology is very poorly documented and here is the only place on the internet that has information. I paid to make this cable but I think it was done wrong. Is the pinout the same in both positions or is the sound card different? I ask this because my Aopen does not show this information, I only have pin numbers and I don't know if I should follow the same scheme as the motherboard or if there is something in a different position.

Reply 29 of 33, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gundstaff wrote on 2020-12-03, 01:12:

[Is the pinout the same in both positions or is the sound card different?

Pinout is the same on both. One pin may be missing to help with cable orientation (only 5 are actually used). Just make sure that all the pins are connected to their corresponding counterparts e.g. 1 to 1 and so on.

I made mine from an old floppy drive cable and it works great on my Yamaha YMF724F-V and my Abit ZM6 motherboard.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 30 of 33, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I bought a couple of these cables from China last year. Naturally it took them a few weeks to arrive, but they were cheap and do the trick.

eBay search term: "2.54mm Pitch 6P Flat Ribbon Cable"
Right now there is this listing: 163282441356
Just select the 6 Pin variant in the dropdown and you're good to go. The ones I bought last year were even cheaper, sub-1€ per cable, but the seller doesn't seem to have them listed currently.

My retro computers

Reply 31 of 33, by gmipf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is another supplier for Germany: https://www.conrad.de/de/p/bkl-electronic-101 … st-2103789.html
And the connector for boards with missing sblink headers: https://www.conrad.de/de/p/bkl-electronic-101 … -st-741435.html

But didn't tested them yet.

Reply 32 of 33, by Lucius79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for this thread, it has been most helpful, I was trying to get my SB CT4B10 to work on my mobo under win98 and it has this SB Link. The manual says it needs this to use the SB in DOS, well it appears that because the sound card itself doesn't have the SB link option it won't work anyway !
I've attached here the info on the pins from the mobo manual.

Attachments

Reply 33 of 33, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The CT4810 doesn't support either sideband option for DOS audio emulation. The driver uses EMM386 to intercept hardware calls and route them to the card. Ironically, Creative Labs only produced one family of cards which support SBLink -- AWE64 PCI or AWE64D sounds cards.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder