First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.japheth.de/

From the website:

"

Running QEMU with HX QEMU is a PC emulator application available for many platforms. The Win32 ports of QEMU 0.6.0, 0.7.0 and 0. […]
Show full quote

Running QEMU with HX
QEMU is a PC emulator application available for many platforms. The Win32 ports of QEMU 0.6.0, 0.7.0 and 0.7.2, which are based on SDL, were successfully tested to run with HXGUI [a binary may be downloaded from here]. Since the QEMU Win32 port is in a preliminary state as well, it is very likely that bugs will be found. The source code of QEMU can be downloaded from http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu.

Some notes about running QEMU under HX
please be aware that QEMU requires huge amounts of virtual memory. Since HX doesn't support a swapfile, virtual memory is identical to physical memory. For example, running QEMU with a 128 MB guest requires about 170 MB of RAM.
don't expect any performance boosts running QEMU on HX/DOS. If there is a gain by avoiding the overhead of a multitasking environment like windows, this gain is -more than - lost by the simple fact that in DOS there is no 2D graphics acceleration available.

Haven't tried it yet.....this kind of thing defies the laws of physics! I'm afraid my computer will blow up! heh.

It would be hilarious to boot up Windows 9x/NT in DosBox using Qemu tho.

EDIT Just found this compatibility list and guess what....DosBox is compatible....scary. http://www.japheth.de/COMPAT.TXT

Wonder what would happen if I tried to load DosBox on this old P166 laptop using DOS and tried to play a simple booter game....hmmmm. Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2006-05-04, 16:22. Edited 3 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just noticed this on the webpage:

Below are the features which are currently missing in HX. ASPI support currently requires WNASPI32.DLL from Windows 9x to work. […]
Show full quote

Below are the features which are currently missing in HX.
ASPI support currently requires WNASPI32.DLL from Windows 9x to work. This should be changed so this external (and unfree) dll is no longer required.
2D (and OpenGl) Graphics acceleration in DOS. I'm not sure if something like SciTech's SNAP could be used to implement these features. Hints are welcome.
a VDD to be loaded when HX is running in WinXP DOS boxes and which emulates VESA LFB by using fullscreen DirectDraw.
Sound support when running in a WinXP DOS box. Currently a WinXP DOS box provides SB 2 emulation only, but HX requires at least a SB Pro for stereo wave output.

I bolded the above. Very interesting.....

Reply 2 of 8, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehe, strange thing is, though, that Dosbox 0.64 (!) is supported... 😉

Anywayz, would like to inform you guys that QEMU 0.8.1 (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/) is out.

Reply 3 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I have always had the wish to be able to run DOSBOX inside DOSBOX. Yes, it would be useless, but it would be a nice achievement.

It is now possible with the HX DOS extender.
1. I started DOSBOX 0.65
2 Then I installed the HX DOS extender (both runtime and GUI packages)
3. I started hxldr32 program inside DOSBOX
4. Then I started DOSBOX 0.65 inside DOSBOX (I just needed to add two DLLs to it MSVCRT.DLL and CRTDLL.DLL (SDL provided with 0.65 needs them).
5. DOSBOX worked inside DOSBOX

Ok, it was slow, but it worked. I tried a few commands in shell. Vey nice, though completely useless thing. 😀

Mirek

Reply 5 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Remember to set a lot of memory to the DOSBOX in which you run HX DOS extender (63 MB).
Also maybe there is problem in DLLs (MSVCRT.DLL, CRTDLL.DLL). I used the files from my Windows 98SE installation.

Mirek

Reply 6 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's probably what it is. I used the MVCRT and CRTDLL's from my XP install. Gotta dig out my 98SE disc.

Reply 7 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, got it working used those dll's and the ones from the opengl95.exe package and got DosBox within DosBox working. Very strange.

I also just loaded up the August 30, 2004 CVS of Scummvm (latest CVS doesn't work), also I had to replace it's SDL.DLL with the latest 1.2.9 dll.

ScummVM is very slow, the mouse doesn't really work so I have to use the keyboard to select items and then press the mouse button to select but Maniac Mansion loaded just fine at 1fps. 😀

Reply 8 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just got DosBox working on this P166 in MS-DOS.

Notes:

Dynamic core doesn't work. (DosBox loads but crashes on mounting a drive).
Using core=auto results in DosBox crashing
Using any output other than surface results in DosBox crashing (ddraw works but nothing is shown on the screen)

1,500 cycles seems like the best fit for this P166. Setting to 7,000 cycles resulted in Maniac Mansion being really slow. I had originally thought 3,000 cycles was good but after dropping to 1,500 the game sped up even more and the music was running at the proper speed. Wish I had some sort of CPU utilization meter for DOS. (or a frameskip/cpu utilization/cycles gui for Dosbox built-in.....)

This might be a great solution for people with dedicated DOS machines that can't get some games to work. It looks like on this P166 I can get all of the 80's DOS games to work and be playable.

Maniac Mansion (1989) is playable and I daresay just as playable as real MS-DOS. So probably all of the early-mid 80's and some of the later 80's games could be played just fine in DosBox on this machine.

Hmm, what would be the performance increase of dynamic core on this old machine? 25%?

I even got Advmame2x working so I assume all of the scalers would work since they are in software. This brings up a thought. I wonder if it's possible to just implement a method for real MS-DOS to apply filters to MS-DOS games? Would a TSR do this or would it have to be an emulator like DosBox? If an emulator is required I guess this is one area where a virtualized instead of an emulated processor would be beneficial.

I guess the next test will be with Qemu but since Qemu is nowhere near as compatible as DosBox is with DOS games and has no filtering capability there wouldn't be much I could do with it.

I also did comparisons to running DosBox in Windows 98se on the same machine and the speed seemed the same to me so it looks like HX isn't really holding anything back, I need some way to really verify this though.