VOGONS

Reply 100 of 104, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2020-02-26, 08:17:

Really, what killed Adlib was that they were 3 years late to the market for PCM sound, against an existing standard that was already being used and developed for.

This is what I meant. The parts delay didn't help matters any, but I think at that point, they had already lost and might not have known it yet. (Although I suspect they were aware enough to be concerned.) Like I said, they were outmatched in the business department. Neat card, but they were not skilled business people. If Creative hadn't existed, they might have had a chance. Or that vacuum could have been filled by another aggressive competitor.

Reply 101 of 104, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
canthearu wrote on 2020-02-26, 08:17:

Really, what killed Adlib was that they were 3 years late to the market for PCM sound, against an existing standard that was already being used and developed for.

My understanding, based on the Rich Heimlich interview, was that it happened well before the AdLib Gold was even in development. Apparently Ad Lib believed that switching from a 1/4" jack to a 3.5mm jack was revolutionary. Had they added a game port as well at the time, it could have been very different for them - this was apparently the real 'killer' feature on the Sound Blaster. That and the price difference, of course. And this happened in 1989.

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 102 of 104, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like I said, they were outmatched in the business department.

They were outmatched in RnD department as well. You can't sit on your ass for years, with just borrowed chip from Yamaha, and expect good results.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 103 of 104, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-02-27, 11:39:

Like I said, they were outmatched in the business department.

They were outmatched in RnD department as well. You can't sit on your ass for years, with just borrowed chip from Yamaha, and expect good results.

But Creative did just that?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.