VOGONS

First post, by AlexZX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, could someone please identify the card on picture below? It seems to be a TSENG ET4000/w32P but i don't know exactly which model it is. Since there are empty banks for memory, I assume that it has 1 MB RAM.

Thanks!

Attachments

Reply 2 of 8, by AlexZX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you, seems to be a very rare card, can't find anything about it on google.

Unfortunately the card seems to be not functional. When i put it in my Mainboard it beeps 1x long followed by 3 short beeps.

Reply 3 of 8, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Take a real close look at R35... down and to the left of the Tseng chip. The picture makes it look like that resistor is either damaged or the solder connection may be broken.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 8, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah that R35 looks in a tough shape. One thing I can recommend is getting a cotton pad and some Isopropyl Alcohol and give a gentle rub to the golden pins of the connector (both sides). It has worked for me many times for cards that have been in storage for some time.

Reply 5 of 8, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A soft pencil eraser or Pentel Click eraser is good for cleaning edge connector contacts.

Some VLB motherboards are not exactly flat anymore and you need to make sure the 32 bit end of the card is actually seated correctly.

The lighting on pictures makes things look weird when they are not. R35 looks OK to me, but pin 103 on the Tseng chip looks off to me like it was dinged and maybe disconnected.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 6 of 8, by AlexZX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your advices.

I took some close up pictures of the regions you spoke of (unfortunately I only have a phone camera). For me it looks OK, but i don't have much experience with electronic parts.

I will also try to clean the edge connector contacts on weekend.

Attachments

• Zoom3.png
    Filename
    Zoom3.png
    File size
    401.88 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Zoom2.png
    Filename
    Zoom2.png
    File size
    804.6 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Zoom.png
    Filename
    Zoom.png
    File size
    904.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 7 of 8, by AlexZX2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

it's running now! The reason was wrong jumper configuration. The jumpers JP1 and JP2 were set to 2-3. I set them to 1-2 and now it's working. I suppose it is the bus speed. I think it was set to 50MHz and now it is set to 33Mhz matching the FSB speed.

I updated the RAM to 2MB and now everything is OK 😀

Thanks to everybody for helping!

Attachments