VOGONS

First post, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,

so I am having troble in getting my newly purchased GUS PnP to work in my 486 in Dos and Windows 3.x. Before installing the GUS everything was running smooth and stable. Now that I have installed the GUS and the drivers, booting up DOS takes a very long time. Windows 3.x just starts and then everything freezes up.

Do you guys have experience in getting a GUS PnP running on a 486 and are these common issues? Is a 486 maybe just not powerful enough for the GUS? Any ideas how to fix the issue?

Thx!

Reply 1 of 12, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

99% of issues with GUS card come from resource conflicts. What other hardware do you have installed? Is there another soundcard? A network card? How is your GUS configured?

Also take a look at these two instructions [1] [2].

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 2 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your system BIOS is not a PnP one then you need to add support for PnP cards by using a manager like the "Intel Configuration Utility" -> http://www.mediafire.com/file/77nxszlnsfh11u9 … U_R143.rar/file
Run this first, assign the GUS PnP resources and then run the GUS drivers installation. It's a shame Gravis did not make a dedicated tool like Creative did with CTCM....
This is what I had to do to get GUS PnP running on my 386/486 systems anyways, if the original driver has already pnp support for non-pnp systems I'd love to hear how one can configure it like this.
On the plus side, ICU does not take any ram AFAIK so it's just something you run each boot

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 12, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Also, what driver version have you installed? I used to have similar problems with certain drivers, until I installed version 2.2 and patches version 4.11.

Game MIDI soundtracks

Retro games and HW reviews

Reply 4 of 12, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jheronimus wrote on 2020-03-02, 08:51:

99% of issues with GUS card come from resource conflicts. What other hardware do you have installed? Is there another soundcard? A network card? How is your GUS configured?

Also take a look at these two instructions [1] [2].

The only resource issue I am shown is for the MPU401 resources. Since I am not going to use that anyway, I'll disable them.

keropi wrote on 2020-03-02, 09:33:
If your system BIOS is not a PnP one then you need to add support for PnP cards by using a manager like the "Intel Configuration […]
Show full quote

If your system BIOS is not a PnP one then you need to add support for PnP cards by using a manager like the "Intel Configuration Utility" -> http://www.mediafire.com/file/77nxszlnsfh11u9 … U_R143.rar/file
Run this first, assign the GUS PnP resources and then run the GUS drivers installation. It's a shame Gravis did not make a dedicated tool like Creative did with CTCM....
This is what I had to do to get GUS PnP running on my 386/486 systems anyways, if the original driver has already pnp support for non-pnp systems I'd love to hear how one can configure it like this.
On the plus side, ICU does not take any ram AFAIK so it's just something you run each boot

I'll try that and see whether the system runs normally after that. How do I find out if my BIOS is a PnP Bios?

daikatana_ wrote on 2020-03-02, 09:35:

Also, what driver version have you installed? I used to have similar problems with certain drivers, until I installed version 2.2 and patches version 4.11.

I used the drivers on vogons. I did not yet install any patches. Just right after I install the normal drivers booting up takes forewever. For instance when the system is testing HIMEM it takes a very long time. Before the drivers booting up was just a matter of seconds.

Reply 5 of 12, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, finally I got it installed and setup properly. I installed the PnP manager. However don't know whether that made a real difference.
When trying to install the patcheset the installer wouldn't work because of not enough memory. I ran memmaker, and after that the system sped up significantly.
I think what made windows crash where resource conflicts.

Thx for your help!

Reply 8 of 12, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Epic pinball, Jazz jackrabbit sound great for example. You could also try Tyrian, it also supports ultramid. The DOOM drivers have an interesting mapping of the instruments, though IIRC they made a custom ‘map’ for the ultramid driver so that’s interesting...

Reply 9 of 12, by daikatana_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Doom 1 sounds incredible, Doom 2 sounds a bit weird in-game, mostly Map01, but it sounds brilliant in an independent player using ripped .mid files.

Rise Of The Triad is excellent. And Gabriel Knight and Guilty sound amazing.

Game MIDI soundtracks

Retro games and HW reviews

Reply 11 of 12, by 640K!enough

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is worth pointing out that a configuration manager (like the Intel utility) is generally not required to use an InterWave-based board. It is needed on systems without a Plug and Play ISA BIOS to run the Gravis installation and set-up tools, as well as for PNPMAP, but that's about it. IWINIT and most versions of the Windows 3.x drivers don't need it. IWINIT has the necessary code to initialise the board on a system with or without a PnP BIOS and whether or not PnP support is enabled on the InterWave IC. This means that, unless your system is highly unusual, you do not need to keep loading the configuration manager TSR once the GUS PnP software is installed and the board configured to your liking. Afterwards, if you have a need to run the set-up utility again, you will need the configuration manager just for that task.

Reply 12 of 12, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
640K!enough wrote on 2020-03-04, 18:37:

It is worth pointing out that a configuration manager (like the Intel utility) is generally not required to use an InterWave-based board. It is needed on systems without a Plug and Play ISA BIOS to run the Gravis installation and set-up tools, as well as for PNPMAP, but that's about it. IWINIT and most versions of the Windows 3.x drivers don't need it. IWINIT has the necessary code to initialise the board on a system with or without a PnP BIOS and whether or not PnP support is enabled on the InterWave IC. This means that, unless your system is highly unusual, you do not need to keep loading the configuration manager TSR once the GUS PnP software is installed and the board configured to your liking. Afterwards, if you have a need to run the set-up utility again, you will need the configuration manager just for that task.

helpful info, I had no idea ICU was not needed after install. nice!

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website