VOGONS

First post, by selvax00y

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seem to have some issues when running NFS 3, 4, 5, and 6 with the 2.55+ versions. Version 2.54 works like a charm.

For 3, random textures are not applied (places where they would be are white). For 4, 5 and 6, the text is unreadable, cars are white, with the world kinda being OK. The issues are not present in WARP mode.
I have a feeling that if I tried some other games as well, that I would have similar issues. This makes me think that something might be wrong with my system, but I have no idea what. I'm running Windows 7 with an AMD RX 580.

Reply 1 of 20, by DarkSynopsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anything ever happen with this? I'm having a similar issue with SWAT3, I'm on a RX 570 running the latest AMD drivers as of this post (20.2.2) on Win 10 and as this post says any version above 2.5.4 seems to break textures.

Quick Image:
https://i.imgur.com/b4n2WFK.jpg

Reply 2 of 20, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, it's a known issue. dgVoodoo 2.55+ is unfortunately broken on AMD cards for some reason (solid colors instead of textures).

I still don't know how to resolve this problem as it works fine on all other D3D11 implementation.
Somebody also reported the WIP version between 2.54 and 2.55 that broke the rendering, but I couldn't yet figure out the reason.

Reply 3 of 20, by KingSyphilis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dege,

I have been testing various WIP versions with Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II. My card is an AMD Radeon RX 580.

I believe the AMD "white/missing texture" regression was introduced with WIP44.

Here are working download URLs for anyone curious:

Reply 4 of 20, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been able to confirm that numerous games have the "white texture"/untextured problem with 2.63.1 which does not occur with 2.54, among them:

Star Wars Episode 1: Racer
Sega Rally Championship
Sega Rally 2
Pong
Killer Loop (although this has entirely different problems under 2.54)
Frogger

The problem is resolved if I set output API to MS WARP, although this of course results in performance issues.

Oddly enough, I only upgraded my PC from an HD 7870 to a RX 580 a couple of weeks ago, and the white texture problem did not occur with 2.63 on my HD 7870, but does regularly occur on my RX 580. Is this problem perhaps specific to the RX4xx/RX5xx series of AMD cards?

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.2GHz per core
16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
6TB hard drive over three hard drives
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 5 of 20, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had an AMD R7 360 graphics card at my previous workplace and I remember having issues with that and dgVoodoo too (but I thought I messed up sg in dgVoodoo, I didn't hold the card/driver in suspicion).
So, even 3xx series is affected, maybe it can be said that GCN3 (2?) and up, in general.

BTW, I made a new special partial build (only DDraw/D3D7). Somebody with such an affected AMD card could test it on Windows 10 plz to see if it works properly?
Or, if it works at all. 😁
From the games listed in the previos post, I tested SW Episode1 Racer, Frogger Swampy's Revenge, Sega GT and they worked fine on my GF 1060 and Intel HD 530.
I have no clue about AMD.

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodoo2_63_1_PartialExp.zip

Reply 6 of 20, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-04-09, 10:11:

Somebody with such an affected AMD card could test it on Windows 10 plz to see if it works properly?
Or, if it works at all. 😁

I'll let you know what comes out of it.

16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 7 of 20, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, some quick testing results:

Fixed:
KISS Pinball (previously: yellow and black board)
Sega Rally Championship D3D Build (previously: sky would be displayed white and foggy)
Star Wars: Episode 1 (the movie adaptation, not Racer) (previously: everything except the characters was displayed as yellow, gouraud-shaded blocks)

Not fixed:
No One Lives Forever 2 (text still displayed as blocks)
Frogger (based on initial splash screen now correctly being displayed, seems to fix white texture issue, but game crashes when attempting to play intro video - doesn't happen with 2.54, 2.63.1 or native)
Killer Loop D3D build (intro video of D3D build now plays correctly, but game crashes when main menu is due to appear; previously the menu would look fine and the game would run, but with the known texturelessness. Worth noting that the 3DFX version runs fine and is probably preferable in this instance)
Sega Rally 2 (now crashes when title screen due to appear)

If you want debug logs for Sega Rally 2, Killer Loop and Frogger, upload a debug build and I'll send you the logs.

16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 8 of 20, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanx!!!

No One Lives Forever 2 (text still displayed as blocks)

This is a D3D8 game and I only included DDraw/D3D7 in the zip so you used the old dgv version.

So, aside from crashes, the white-texture problem is gone, if I get it right (that's what I was curious of)?

Reply 9 of 20, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-04-10, 09:58:

This is a D3D8 game and I only included DDraw/D3D7 in the zip so you used the old dgv version.

Ah, good point.

Dege wrote on 2020-04-10, 09:58:

So, aside from crashes, the white-texture problem is gone, if I get it right (that's what I was curious of)?

Seems so, yes.

I'll do a bit more testing of DX6/DX7 games but I think the general rule is that the texture problem is solved but games that have FMV intros/splash screens tend to crash during or after the FMV (perhaps issues with resolution changes? I'll see if forcing the dgVoodoo resolution fixes this) [edit: it doesn't].

16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
Windows 10 Pro

Reply 10 of 20, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This special experimental build is not the sequel of the old version but part of a side-path pending development (I just didn't yet change the version number).
So, it's not expected to be compatible with the previous/current versions, crashes can easily occur.

Reply 12 of 20, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've tried Blood 2 with that PartialExp build and... wow! High framerate with dynamic lightning. 🤯

Edit:

But some "green fog" flashes during movement.

Attachments

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 13 of 20, by Dege

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, because this experimental build has a complete new backend implementation.

Early stage, I myself am aware of various bugs. BTW, thx for feedbacking the fog-bug with Blood2. Maybe it'll be useful for debugging (I encountered this bug in other apps too).

Reply 18 of 20, by DarkSynopsis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dege wrote on 2020-04-16, 18:12:

I've updated the experimental partial build. The fog-problem should be gone with it.

http://dege.fw.hu/temp/dgVoodoo2_63_1_PartialExp.zip

This build fixes the issue in SWAT3 as well it seems.

Reply 19 of 20, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It seems SIege of Avalon works fine with the experimental build, which is something of a relief, as Dege only introduced fixes for that game post-2.55, making it difficult to run on a modern AMD card otherwise.

Dege, I notice that MSI Afterburner is reporting a D3D12 surface with the experimental build, like the previous builds which ran on D3D11. Is this the principal difference between the mainline builds on the website, namely that while the stable/WIP versions are basically a DX1-9 > DX11 wrapper, the experimental build is for translating DX1-9 calls to DX12?

16GB RAM DDR4
AMD RX 580
Windows 10 Pro