VOGONS

First post, by Swiego

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I want to install various versions of DOS on an old XT class PC with only 360kb floppy drives. Some of the editions I see available are on 720k, 1.2MB or 1.44MB images... any suggestions on how to create 360kb sets for floppy install?

Or, if I have an XT-IDE card working on this PC as a second drive, can I install DOS off it, and onto the PC's original HD?

Reply 1 of 3, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One method would be to install DOS on the XT-IDE card, then copy all the files/folders to your main hard drive.

If it were me though, I would temporarily connect a larger capacity floppy drive for installing.

Reply 2 of 3, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A DOS installation is always the same, no matter on which system it's installed. So you can install it somewhere else, compress it e.g. via RAR split to 360 KB parts, and transfer it over to the target system. The only thing you need to do after that is running "sys c: a:" where it is installed and booting from that disk on the target doing "sys a: c:" (make sure you have either sys.com on the disk or the DOS files already decompressed).