VOGONS

First post, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have managed to build a Win2k VM under Qemu, but using the UTM app for iOS (a Qemu wrapper).

I currently have only one issue: An unknown device is listed under device manager. System Information reports ACPI\QEMU0002 and ACPI\PNP0103 as unknown devices. Since I do not know which devices they are - I cannot identify them - therefore I cannot find drivers for these. Anyone know how can I fix this? They seem to be related to ACPI.

ACPI is defined as ACPI Multiprocessor PC, but if I switch to Standard PC or something else, I lose the USB.

I was bfcastello, now I am Bruninho! =]
"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.

Reply 1 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For QEMU0002 you can try the guest drivers, unknown if they work in Windows 2000: https://github.com/virtio-win/kvm-guest-drive … indows/releases
For PNP0103 that's HPET and isn't supported in Windows 2000. Should be disabled in the BIOS if can't be used.

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline

Reply 2 of 7, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote on 2020-03-23, 22:00:

For QEMU0002 you can try the guest drivers, unknown if they work in Windows 2000: https://github.com/virtio-win/kvm-guest-drive … indows/releases
For PNP0103 that's HPET and isn't supported in Windows 2000. Should be disabled in the BIOS if can't be used.

I somehow fixed the issue turning off the ACPI on Device Manager. The unknown device disappeared - I just switched from ACPI Multiprocessor PC to Standard PC. All OK now, and proceeding to updates & installing kernel extender, apps....

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 3 of 7, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Something probably wasn't properly installed in my Win2k QEMU. I cannot update the Windows Update Agent with the WUA installer (reports unrecoverable error and complains about the lack of MSVCRT90.dll) and I cannot install last supported WinZip version too.

While on VMWare I  can still access Windows Update and run WinZip.

I've lost almost two days trying to debug the problem.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 4 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you've already installed the Blackwingcat software there is no reason to use Windows Update since you should have updated Windows before that.
Use 7-Zip.

DOSBox Compilation Guides
DosBox Feature Request Thread
PC Game Compatibility List
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Running DRM games offline

Reply 5 of 7, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just added riched20.dll and msvcr90.dll from another win2k install I had working, and installed net framework 2.0 & vc++ 2008. Then I could install WUA 3.0 and access the windows update. Hooray. I will update and then try again WinZip. I have WinZip working in another Win2k install. I just have to remember what the hell I did to manage this.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 7 of 7, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yup. After I proceeded to update everything and install a great browser, turns out that Youtube is damn, damn slow. The browser is even slower under QEMU. I threw it straight to the bin, and decided to stick with the only Win2k VM I have perfectly working here - The VMWare Fusion one. A lost weekend, but oh well. That's how the things are.

JOBS, Steve.