VOGONS

386 DX40

Topic actions

First post, by ZeCHoW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey.

Looks like my hobby is defined. I am a retro computer geek.
I already wrote something about my Double Pentium 3 with Voodoo 5. Now I am playing with an old one. I never had something like that in my life. My first computer was actually Celeron 300A.

So at first, I was quite scared of that little demon, but later we become good buds. Especially when I gave him a warm nice bath and cleaned all hist old vital organs 😀

I am planning to play a lot of old games on it. For example, Monkey Island, Sokoban, and other games that will be suggested to me by others that actually know something about this era.

Specifications
Motherboard: QD-U386DX-VER 1.0 with 8MB of RAM, 512kb graphic, 3,25 floppy, 5,25 floppy, sound card Creative Vibra 16 and CD-ROM 8x that at the moment is not working ...

24872472.jpg
24872471.jpg
24872470.jpg
24872469.jpg
24872468.jpg
24872467.jpg
24872466.jpg

And of course, there is a problem.
I can't get CD-ROM running. I am trying to connect him to the IDE port on a Sound Card.
I don't find any user manuals of the card on the web so I am just guessing how it should work.
I see that there are jumpers on the card
- IDE100, IDE101, IDEDIS (it means IDE disable?) and IOCHRDY (what is this?)
And other jumpers for setting IDE IRQ 10, 11, 12, 14 and 15.

I edited autoexec.bat and config.sys to add CD-ROM driver but the computer stops loading DOS when it comes to the line where I am trying to define CD-ROM.
New line in autoexec.bat:
c:\dos\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001
New line in config.sys
device=c:\cdrom\oakcdrom.sys /P:170,11 /d:mscd001

24872479.jpg
24872478.jpg
24872477.jpg
24872476.jpg

Did anyone manage to get CD-ROM work on SB Vibra 16?
My plan B is to try to add CD-ROM as a slave on a cable that goes from I/O card to disk. If I get a cable long enough...

Regards.

Reply 1 of 22, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZeCHoW wrote on 2020-03-22, 17:58:
Hey. […]
Show full quote

Hey.

Looks like my hobby is defined. I am a retro computer geek.
I already wrote something about my Double Pentium 3 with Voodoo 5. Now I am playing with an old one. I never had something like that in my life. My first computer was actually Celeron 300A.

So at first, I was quite scared of that little demon, but later we become good buds. Especially when I gave him a warm nice bath and cleaned all hist old vital organs 😀

I am planning to play a lot of old games on it. For example, Monkey Island, Sokoban, and other games that will be suggested to me by others that actually know something about this era.

Specifications
Motherboard: QD-U386DX-VER 1.0 with 8MB of RAM, 512kb graphic, 3,25 floppy, 5,25 floppy, sound card Creative Vibra 16 and CD-ROM 8x that at the moment is not working ...

24872472.jpg
24872471.jpg
24872470.jpg
24872469.jpg
24872468.jpg
24872467.jpg
24872466.jpg

And of course, there is a problem.
I can't get CD-ROM running. I am trying to connect him to the IDE port on a Sound Card.
I don't find any user manuals of the card on the web so I am just guessing how it should work.
I see that there are jumpers on the card
- IDE100, IDE101, IDEDIS (it means IDE disable?) and IOCHRDY (what is this?)
And other jumpers for setting IDE IRQ 10, 11, 12, 14 and 15.

I edited autoexec.bat and config.sys to add CD-ROM driver but the computer stops loading DOS when it comes to the line where I am trying to define CD-ROM.
New line in autoexec.bat:
c:\dos\mscdex.exe /d:mscd001
New line in config.sys
device=c:\cdrom\oakcdrom.sys /P:170,11 /d:mscd001

24872479.jpg
24872478.jpg
24872477.jpg
24872476.jpg

Did anyone manage to get CD-ROM work on SB Vibra 16?
My plan B is to try to add CD-ROM as a slave on a cable that goes from I/O card to disk. If I get a cable long enough...

Regards.

You have to configure the IDE port of the sound card, that it is the "secondary" IDE controller.
I assume that helps to set the mystical IDE100 and IDE101 jumpers:
https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-cards-mult … AUDIO-CARD.html
So set IDE 100 to closed and leave IDE 101 open.

And set IRQ to 15.

If you run Windows 95, you would see in the device manager, if there is a secondary IDE controller, but I guess you use DOS only. Maybe you can use a hardware info tool, to check if you have a secondary IDE controller available.

Reply 2 of 22, by ZeCHoW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But what should I do with the other two jumpers next to IDE100 and IDE101 (IOCHRDY and IDEDIS).
And how do I select IRQ 15, I close all the other jumpers (IRQ10-IRQ14) or I just close IRQ 15 jumper?

Does anyone know a dos software that helps me scan the hardware I have and if the system sees the IDE port on the sound card?

Reply 3 of 22, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Jerovsek brand seems familiar 🤣

My guess is that you have to use drivers for sound card to enable its ports. Anyhow you can connect two IDE units to your I/O controller card - the cable has three connectors, two for devices - primary and secondary. Connect IDE CD-ROM as secondary - configure HDD as master and CD-ROM as slave.

Good sysinfo tools:

NSSI:
https://www.navsoft.cz/nssi060.exe

AIDA:
https://www.sac.sk/download/utildiag/aida16en.zip

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 4 of 22, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice. I use to have a few of those cheap cases. Be careful as they have sharp edges and easy to cut yourself.
I might have went with an AWE64 instead of the Vibra 16s.

Reply 6 of 22, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZeCHoW wrote on 2020-03-23, 17:36:

Well. I did that: configured IDE as master and CDROM as slave and connect them to I/O card. Still no success in loading CDROM into dos....

Use the Sound Blaster Vibra 16 install CDROM package or AWE32 for DOS install package should work too.
Make sure the cable is installed correctly. One side is for Motherboard and the other side is for Drives. It is specific.
Set the CDROM drive up as Master or Cable select.
Make sure the CDROM has power and powers up on boot up.

Reply 8 of 22, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ZeCHoW wrote on 2020-03-23, 18:50:

What about autoexec.bat and config.sys. I writte smtng in them or will the driver do all for me?

Yes,

Autoexec.bat
LOAD HIGH C:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD001 /L:D

Config.sys
DEVICEHIGH=C:\videcdd.sys /D:CD001

I usually start by fdisk and formating the harddrive.
Then I boot off a DOS boot disk
https://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Copy the entire contents of the DOS boot disk to C:
# A:\xcopy *.* /s/e C:

reboot

Copy Phils computer lab starter pack to hard drive by running the install.bat
https://www.philscomputerlab.com/ms-dos-starter-pack.html

reboot.

CDROM driver here too
videcdd.sys

Then install your sound card software.

Reply 9 of 22, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZeCHoW wrote on 2020-03-23, 08:56:

But what should I do with the other two jumpers next to IDE100 and IDE101 (IOCHRDY and IDEDIS).
And how do I select IRQ 15, I close all the other jumpers (IRQ10-IRQ14) or I just close IRQ 15 jumper?

Does anyone know a dos software that helps me scan the hardware I have and if the system sees the IDE port on the sound card?

Leave IOCHRDY and IDEDIS open.
Yes, only close the IRQ15 jumper on the right.

I don't think you need a software to activate the sound card's IDE controller.
Don't give up so quickly.

Reply 10 of 22, by ZeCHoW

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1st I am fighting with what CoffeeOne said, later I will try what Intel486dx33 suggested.

But so far, no success. With IDE100 and 101 I did what you said. I closed IRQ 15.
CD-ROM is connected to the sound card IDE on a separate cable.

I am pasting my config.sys and autoexec.bat
What is happening, the computer stops loading at "CD-ROM line".
Can you guys help a little with writing config and autoexec files? I am suspecting that I could get error msg which would describe me what is going wrong 😀

24873425.jpg

24873426.jpg

24873427.jpg

Reply 11 of 22, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZeCHoW wrote on 2020-03-24, 19:14:
1st I am fighting with what CoffeeOne said, later I will try what Intel486dx33 suggested. […]
Show full quote

1st I am fighting with what CoffeeOne said, later I will try what Intel486dx33 suggested.

But so far, no success. With IDE100 and 101 I did what you said. I closed IRQ 15.

Can you guys help a little with writing config and autoexec files? I am suspecting that I could get error msg which would describe me what is going wrong 😀

24873425.jpg

24873426.jpg

24873427.jpg

Hi,

I am sure, that you will be successful to enable the IDE controller (when there is no hardware problem).
But I agree with others, please do it step by step:

1)
So first make your CD ROM running as second drive (as slave) on your known good IDE controller card.
When you are successful, you know exactly what driver you need in config.sys and autoexec.bat

If that works
go to step 2)
Jumper the sound card as you did now, but don't connect anything to it.
Then test with a DOS HW info program, if the second IDE controller shows up.

and then finally go to step
3) connect the drive to the sound card's IDE and make it running.

So please go back to step 1)

Reply 12 of 22, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
1st I am fighting with what CoffeeOne said, later I will try what Intel486dx33 suggested. […]
Show full quote

24873425.jpg

24873426.jpg

24873427.jpg

Try this:

Autoexec.bat
LOAD HIGH C:\MSCDEX.EXE /D:CD001 /L:D

Also make sure that CDROM device driver is the right on for your CDROM drive.

Reply 13 of 22, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

24873425.jpg

24873426.jpg

24873427.jpg

Hi,

additionally to what I wrote before (go to step 1: connect the CD drive as slave on your IDE controller, where master is the harddisk).

Download a windows 98 or windows 98 SE bootdisk.
Normally IDE CD drives always work out of the box with it.

Reply 14 of 22, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See here:
https://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm

Also make sure you are using a compatible device driver for your CDROM drive.
Try this one :
CDROM driver
videcdd.sys

Reply 15 of 22, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to summarize everything above, the first set of four jumpers (IDECHRDY, IDEDIS, IDEIO0, IDEIO1) should ideally be closed, open, open, closed. IDECHRDY may be opened for troubleshooting as it may have to be unset for compatibility. IDEIO0 and IDEIO1 can probably be set in any combination except closed, closed, although assigning to the secondary channel as above is most logical.

Even if you can't load the ATAPI driver, try running NSSI and see if the channel is detected.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 16 of 22, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-03-24, 20:34:
See here: https://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm […]
Show full quote

See here:

Try this one :
CDROM driver
videcdd.sys

Beware, VIDE-CDD.SYS is one of the smallest, not one of the most compatible CD-ROM drivers.
That would be OAKCDROM.SYS, the memory hog. Remember, there was a reason it was bundled with Win98 Setup CD-ROM..
In additon: Don't load Vide-CDD high! At least not until you know it works with your hardware.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 17 of 22, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2020-03-25, 03:06:
Beware, VIDE-CDD.SYS is one of the smallest, not one of the most compatible CD-ROM drivers. That would be OAKCDROM.SYS, the memo […]
Show full quote
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2020-03-24, 20:34:
See here: https://www.computerhope.com/ac.htm […]
Show full quote

See here:

Try this one :
CDROM driver
videcdd.sys

Beware, VIDE-CDD.SYS is one of the smallest, not one of the most compatible CD-ROM drivers.
That would be OAKCDROM.SYS, the memory hog. Remember, there was a reason it was bundled with Win98 Setup CD-ROM..
In additon: Don't load Vide-CDD high! At least not until you know it works with your hardware.

I realise that it's anecdotal, but I've never had a problem with VIDE-CDD on any system I've tried it on

Reply 19 of 22, by Almoststew1990

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would be interested to see how much this thrashes my cacheless SX40!

Ryzen 3700X | 16GB 3600MHz RAM | AMD 6800XT | 2Tb NVME SSD | Windows 10
AMD DX2-80 | 16MB RAM | STB LIghtspeed 128 | AWE32 CT3910
I have a vacancy for a main Windows 98 PC