VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Hard Drive died a couple weeks ago and now that installed some of my games again, i've noticed that display modes changes on DirectX 7 and earlier, which used to take a few irritating seconds, now are instant. Now i wonder, is it something that changed on my computer or microsoft fixed it ? Or was it never broken in the 1st place, only in my computer ?

Reply 1 of 3, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There was an issue for the longest time from Windows 8 which seems to have been fixed in Windows 10 version 1809 (the same one that also deleted user documents when being upgraded to for users that had Documents folder redirected to another location if I remember correctly).

At least from my experience, it only occurred when display mode change was attempted to the exactly same one the system is already in. In that case, delay came from waiting for event object named DWM_DX_FULLSCREEN_TRANSITION_EVENT, owned by Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe), to become signaled, which timed out after 3 seconds.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 2 of 3, by Peixoto

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
UCyborg wrote on 2020-03-24, 20:27:

There was an issue for the longest time from Windows 8 which seems to have been fixed in Windows 10 version 1809 (the same one that also deleted user documents when being upgraded to for users that had Documents folder redirected to another location if I remember correctly).

At least from my experience, it only occurred when display mode change was attempted to the exactly same one the system is already in. In that case, delay came from waiting for event object named DWM_DX_FULLSCREEN_TRANSITION_EVENT, owned by Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe), to become signaled, which timed out after 3 seconds.

In my system any change from calling IDirectDraw[1/2/4/7]::SetDisplayMode caused this delay

Reply 3 of 3, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might have had a different issue (or maybe the same issue manifests differently depending on some other factors). It can can be tested with the help of Process Hacker by opening dwm.exe process, opening DWM_DX_FULLSCREEN_TRANSITION_EVENT on the Handles tab then removing permissions on Security tab. There should only be one entry for Everyone. If the delay is gone afterwards, then this it.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.