VOGONS

First post, by MotionRelative

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If your lucky enough to own the first GPU graphics card, please read. In honor of the 20th(ish) anniversary of the Geforce256 DDR I've decided to help preserve it's legacy and give owners a chance to extend the life of this card. As we all know heat is the enemy when it comes to computer chips. That means that every component has a life. If your cooling fails and your unaware of it, this will drastically reduce the chips life span. I have acquired a Geforce256 DDR card and went through the process of replacing the GPU fan, which can be a daunting task. Specifically regarding the Creative Geforce256 DDR (CT6970), I was able to locate new OEM Adda AP4512MX-G90 fan's but unfortunately they only had wire leads and no 2-pin connector. So I did some research and located all the necessary parts and the crimper to complete the job. The end result is a factory new OEM fan for these cards. I have bought several of these Adda fans and terminated the wire with the proper 2-pin connector. If you would like to purchase a new fan please contact me. In future posts I will outline the parts and steps necessary to complete the job yourself.

For reference I have identified four major types of DC 12v fans for Geforce256 DDR:

Brand, Model,Card
----------------------
Adda, AP4512MX-G90, Creative
MEI, MOTHR-1024-C, Visiontek
Millennium, MOTHR-1024-C;MFAN-1024-D, OEM;Dell;Gateway;Visiontek
Nvidia branded, NV-1024-C, Visiontek

Creative_GeForce_256_DDR_hardware-one.jpg
Filename
Creative_GeForce_256_DDR_hardware-one.jpg
File size
154.29 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Geforce256_DDR_videocardz.jpg
Filename
Geforce256_DDR_videocardz.jpg
File size
781.67 KiB
Views
File license
GeForce_256_DDR_imgur.jpg
Filename
GeForce_256_DDR_imgur.jpg
File size
423.97 KiB
Views
File license
GeForce_256_DDR_wikipedia.jpg
Filename
GeForce_256_DDR_wikipedia.jpg
File size
916.85 KiB
Views
File license

(image credits: hardware-one.com, videocardz.net, imgur.com[wirerogue],wikimedia.org )

image sources:
http://www.hardware-one.com/reviews/clgforced … orceddr-2.shtml
https://videocardz.net/nvidia-geforce-256-ddr/
https://imgur.com/gallery/RDeG10v
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Visio … GeForce_256.jpg

Reply 1 of 11, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is a nice project to help preserve the lifespan of the card. Having an option to get a new fan is always good news for me.
I had this problem of finding a AAVID fan for a 3dfx Voodoo 4 4500. With the help of the nice people of this forum I managed to find a link to a US seller on eBay. It was more expensive that I was hoping but in the end I'm glad I could find one.
As per the fan on the Creative Labs GeForce 256 DDR; that fan is also used in the SDR card (CT6940) and in the TNT2 Ultra (CT6810). With old fans you almost can expect them to make some noise or not run at all from the dust or other stuff that might got inside.
It is relatively easy to clean though. Just unscrew the four screws that attach it to the Heatsink and unplug the power connector. After that, on the back of the fan remove the little sticker, and you should see the "washer" (I think its called washer), it is this white little ring around the shaft of the fan with a cut across its diameter. With some persistence, a pair of small pliers or some small needle, it must be removed (make sure not to loose it!!, it often pops). After that, the fan blades with its shaft can go out from the rest of the fan. Clean everything with some cotton ear buds, even the hole where the shaft goes, use some twisted paper towel to do it. After that, apply some Lubricant into the hole (I use a Lubricant that came with my Electric Razor and it works just fine), insert the shaft in and out a couple of times and give a few spins after. Then reassemble everything like it was, while not forgetting to put back the Washer in place. The fan should work fine after that with no noise.
I have done this on many cards that the fan was making noise and after this it worked fine with a success rate of 70-80%. My latest success was an identical fan like the one you mentioned of a TNT2 cards.
On a side note, I want to mention the awful AAVID fans that come with the Matrox G400 MAX, almost guarantee they are noisy, and even cleaning them makes no difference.

Reply 2 of 11, by wirerogue

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can get new heatsink fans here for five bucks
https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/FN042PD … THR-1024-C.html
It's the one in the third photo down. Which also just happens to be a photo of my own Dell GeForce 256 ddr 64mb.

Reply 3 of 11, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A good replacement HSF combo for our beloved GF SDR/DDR cards would be awesome.
Preferably something that uses the mounting holes and not having to be glued to the chip.

This one works just fine (and probably has 5x the cooling capacity of the original) but it looks ghastly:

s-l500.jpg

And also blocks several expansion slots.
Sacrificing one PCI slot next to the AGP is usually just fine since they tend to share IRQ anyways.

Reply 4 of 11, by MotionRelative

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wirerogue wrote on 2020-03-24, 22:30:

You can get new heatsink fans here for five bucks
https://www.westfloridacomponents.com/FN042PD … THR-1024-C.html
It's the one in the third photo down. Which also just happens to be a photo of my own Dell GeForce 256 ddr 64mb.

Small world, thanks for chiming in and for use of the Geforce 256 photo. I had a hard time locating high resolution photos for my post. Great retro PC setup by the way, it looks like you go the extra mile in locating excellent condition or new parts for your rigs.

Reply 5 of 11, by MotionRelative

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-03-24, 22:24:
It is a nice project to help preserve the lifespan of the card. Having an option to get a new fan is always good news for me. I […]
Show full quote

It is a nice project to help preserve the lifespan of the card. Having an option to get a new fan is always good news for me.
I had this problem of finding a AAVID fan for a 3dfx Voodoo 4 4500. With the help of the nice people of this forum I managed to find a link to a US seller on eBay. It was more expensive that I was hoping but in the end I'm glad I could find one.
As per the fan on the Creative Labs GeForce 256 DDR; that fan is also used in the SDR card (CT6940) and in the TNT2 Ultra (CT6810). With old fans you almost can expect them to make some noise or not run at all from the dust or other stuff that might got inside.
It is relatively easy to clean though. Just unscrew the four screws that attach it to the Heatsink and unplug the power connector. After that, on the back of the fan remove the little sticker, and you should see the "washer" (I think its called washer), it is this white little ring around the shaft of the fan with a cut across its diameter. With some persistence, a pair of small pliers or some small needle, it must be removed (make sure not to loose it!!, it often pops). After that, the fan blades with its shaft can go out from the rest of the fan. Clean everything with some cotton ear buds, even the hole where the shaft goes, use some twisted paper towel to do it. After that, apply some Lubricant into the hole (I use a Lubricant that came with my Electric Razor and it works just fine), insert the shaft in and out a couple of times and give a few spins after. Then reassemble everything like it was, while not forgetting to put back the Washer in place. The fan should work fine after that with no noise.
I have done this on many cards that the fan was making noise and after this it worked fine with a success rate of 70-80%. My latest success was an identical fan like the one you mentioned of a TNT2 cards.
On a side note, I want to mention the awful AAVID fans that come with the Matrox G400 MAX, almost guarantee they are noisy, and even cleaning them makes no difference.

Thanks for letting us know about the other fan/card usages, good to know that these fans can be refurbished. It'd be great if you could upload some photo's the next time you complete a fan cleaning/lubrication.

Reply 7 of 11, by aaronkatrini

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There is a video on YouTube made some years ago and still IMO is one of the best explaining it. Here is a link to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRkHq-P9TQE

As per the link posted above this, please don't try removing the heatsink from the card. It glued into it and is likely you will damage the board or the chip underneath.
Just unscrew the four screws and clean or replace the fan. Cannot be risked on a GF256 😀

Reply 8 of 11, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found a decent replacement that looks nice and only requires some slight modifications of the cooler to fit:

CMO1T2Cl.jpg

The fan/sink combo can be found new under the name "NV-1017".
2 of the holes that secures the plastic fan thingy gets slightly modded to line up with the PCB holes (about 1 mm filed away).
2 of the plastic mounts on the fan gets removed.
The 2 original mounting ears on the heatsink gets snipped of.
The mounting pins are used again to secure the cooler as they are of the good kind with a spring and a securing pin.
And the fan gets attached to the original fan connector.

It's mounted extremely secure and doesn't foul any components as far as I can see.
Atleast not on the GF DDR shown above.

Reply 9 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aaronkatrini wrote on 2020-03-25, 23:13:
There is a video on YouTube made some years ago and still IMO is one of the best explaining it. Here is a link to it: https://ww […]
Show full quote

There is a video on YouTube made some years ago and still IMO is one of the best explaining it. Here is a link to it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRkHq-P9TQE

As per the link posted above this, please don't try removing the heatsink from the card. It glued into it and is likely you will damage the board or the chip underneath.
Just unscrew the four screws and clean or replace the fan. Cannot be risked on a GF256 😀

If you remove the fan and use a heat gun I've found the glued down fans come off quite easy without destroying the gpu, freezer also works. The goal is to either heat it to soften it or make it brittle.

Reply 10 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Freezing works like a charm. But to be fair, this cards usually have so insignificant amount of glue between that it can came out just by simple lever.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 11, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-06-22, 14:19:

Freezing works like a charm. But to be fair, this cards usually have so insignificant amount of glue between that it can came out just by simple lever.

i prefer heat as it makes it easier to clean the glue up than freezing