Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 560 of 743, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well this was sure a surprise to me xD

Is there any way I can use the old smileys btw? Or where are the old smileys? I kinda miss the old 😵 one 😒
The only thing I really miss (and what I have actually noticed thus far) is that I seem to not be able to find the most recent active threads, which was very convenient for me 😜

Just testing stuff quick:
🤣
lmao
/endtest

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 561 of 743, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am posting this in a new reply as I have a suggestion: Would it be possible to make viewing an entire thread (or at least more replies than is currently possible) on a single page?
Or perhaps this is already optional and I simply haven't found this option yet?

Report spammers here!

Reply 562 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote on 2020-03-12, 15:07:

The only thing I really miss (and what I have actually noticed thus far) is that I seem to not be able to find the most recent active threads, which was very convenient for me 😜

Do you mean "Active topics" in the top right? search.php?search_id=active_topics

"Unread posts" got hidden (allegedly "Active topics" is more popular) but it's still there if you follow this link: search.php?search_id=unreadposts

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 563 of 743, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote on 2020-03-13, 05:03:
Tetrium wrote on 2020-03-12, 15:07:

Do you mean "Active topics" in the top right? search.php?search_id=active_topics

"Unread posts" got hidden (allegedly "Active topics" is more popular) but it's still there if you follow this link: search.php?search_id=unreadposts

Cheers! 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 564 of 743, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did we lose the ability to reply to a post in a PM, directly to that user (with quote and all)?

I *think* that was available before the update - maybe I'm having a brainfart, but I can't find it for the life of me...

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 565 of 743, by JonathonWyble

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow! I see Vogons is a whole lot different now... actually, I've seen this layout for quite a while now, but still.
I can't believe I haven't been here in a few months. I missed this place 😀

Anyway, I guess it is important to stay updated with certain website controls, such as PHP and all that other stuff. I just found out that you would get notified whenever someone replies to your topic or when someone quotes you in a topic you have posted in in the past. I guess that feature is enabled by default now, because in the previous Vogons, you had to enable that feature to make it happen. I also didn't know it was possible to have a custom mouse pointer in a website, so that's cool, I guess 😉 I am gonna miss the old Vogons, but I'll adjust to this style, eventually...

1998 Pentium II build

1553292341.th.19547.gif

Reply 566 of 743, by Obi Wan Kenobi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm for me this is kind of a late find, this place in general, even I been at x-3dfx since 2002.
Anyways grats for reaching your 15th milestone in December 27 of 2019 I'd say!
It's never too late to afterparty for that part 😁 \o/ \o/ \o/

The forum looks great too, love the purple backdrop, really works pleasantly

Rock on & Fly Safe

Reply 567 of 743, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote on 2020-03-20, 05:14:

Hmm for me this is kind of a late find, this place in general, even I been at x-3dfx since 2002.
Anyways grats for reaching your 15th milestone in December 27 of 2019 I'd say!

Not sure where you got that information - VOGONS birthday is also 2002 - June 30, 2002! 😉

Evidence:
post #3: Worst Memory Pig...ever
user account #2: DosFreak

Welcome to an x-3dfx oldtimer anyways 😉

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 568 of 743, by Obi Wan Kenobi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh my bad, I probably misread something, won't be the first or last time I'd do that.

Hmm you in our Facebook group too then?
If not here it is then 😀
https://www.facebook.com/groups/x3dfx/

We are trying to gather as many x-3dfx'ers as we can in there.

Back during the x-3dfx.com days I went there as Obi-Wan Kenobi, BOingball & I ran the forum and when we decided to go with ezboards around 2009-ish I think it was.
At x-3dfx ezboards I went as Obi Wan KenobiV6K 😀
And around 2011 the Facebook group was made, as we all agreed to do that since almost everyone used it.
Yet none of us expected that it would run so well, I was made co-owner back in 2013 and later in 2015 ownership of the x-3dfx facebook was handed over to me, just mainly for keeping it active and alive.
😀

But anyways glad to see a veteran x-3dfx'er here as well 😀
x-3dfx shall never die for me, man, neva!

Rock on & Fly Safe

Reply 571 of 743, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a bit of an issue with "monospace" function. I expect it to be used in case you need characters to be aligned with each other for visual clarity. However, when I submit a post, it destroys extra spaces between the characters, and the result is not what one would expect.

If it is possible, could someone please fix this behaviour?

What I see and what I get:

Attachments

• 1.png
    Filename
    1.png
    File size
    62.31 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 572 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

can you file that in this thread? Style problems/bugs

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 574 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

sorry, I was neglecting my moderator power here. But I was on the phone, otherwise I'd have moved your post to the that thread 😀

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 576 of 743, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Overall I'm basically okay with this update, but there are some things that bug me a bit. I don't like that the page selection is gone when viewing a list of threads. You have to click the date to get to the last post, or the title to get to the first post. Nothing in between, and it seems a little unusual.

The biggest thing I miss though are the links to threads started by or posts made by a specific user. I know you can do this with the search feature, but if I saw someone mention a previous post\thread of theirs, it was nice to be able to just click their name and click a button to see their previous posts.

Also, is there a way to see the full list of smilies? It seems really weird to have to basically guess at letters by typing out random things after a : until you find something applicable. Also, some smilies don't actually show as smilies until you preview or submit your post. For example, :lol: doesn't get the smiley drop-down box thing when I type it, so I honestly didn't know it worked until just now.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 577 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Click a name and then click on the search icon (not the general search but the one in the profile - once you notice it, you'll know what I mean) and you see their posts

Reply 578 of 743, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was trying to figure that out myself and I remember there was one link that said username's posts. That's interesting, though. The site is pretty good for almost every system I have, minus older machines, but I understand and some of my older machines don't have access to the network these days until I setup a network for the retro machines, main systems, and the one for infected computers.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 579 of 743, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just thought of one more thing!

The mobile version is completely missing the "Your posts| New posts| Active topics" buttons as far as I can tell. Browsing anything on a phone is tedious enough. Removing useful shortcut buttons like that makes navigating mobile sites even less fun. I have to switch to desktop view for this forum because I use the features missing from mobile.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.