VOGONS

Reply 14700 of 27350, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2020-04-02, 16:13:

Would you do me a big favor and run 3DMark 2001. I have a very similar system I would like to compare to your results. Thanks!

I ran 2001SE for you liqmat. I'm interested to see how it compares to your machine.

hDUbsoIl.jpg

Reply 14701 of 27350, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Attempted the Dallas RTC mod for the first time and it did in fact work out pretty well.
It's a bit of a tight fit between the VRM holder and the BIOS chip, but still OK. Board is a Shuttle HOT-541.

2020-04-03 17.22.54 (Large).jpg
Filename
2020-04-03 17.22.54 (Large).jpg
File size
144.58 KiB
Views
File comment
Dallas RTC Mod 2
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
2020-04-03 17.31.48 (Large).jpg
Filename
2020-04-03 17.31.48 (Large).jpg
File size
322.91 KiB
Views
File comment
Dallas RTC Mod 1
File license

Now the board is ready to be used in a new build. I think I will use it with this 286 desktop case that I got with a Gigabyte Slot 1 AT board installed. Built like a tank, labelled "Privileg" (a brand used by German mailorder pioneer "Quelle"). I don't have any real use for such a system but it should be fun to build!

case (Large).jpg
Filename
case (Large).jpg
File size
187.58 KiB
Views
File comment
Case
File license

My retro computers

Reply 14703 of 27350, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2020-04-03, 19:14:

Someone should sell those Dallas mods on eBay.

They already are, except it uses a new PCB with coin cell battery on top. However, it usually just ends up being cheaper to buy a newly manufactured Dallas chip from Mouser or Digikey since they are only $10. There are very few instances of incompatibility of a newly manufactured RTC.. if that's the case, the best option would be the coin cell mod or external battery.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 14704 of 27350, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote on 2020-04-03, 09:56:
I ran 2001SE for you liqmat. I'm interested to see how it compares to your machine. […]
Show full quote

Would you do me a big favor and run 3DMark 2001. I have a very similar system I would like to compare to your results. Thanks!

I ran 2001SE for you liqmat. I'm interested to see how it compares to your machine.

hDUbsoIl.jpg

9268 for me, but no OC on my 1.4 like yours. I am using a 5950U though. Would you be able to easily bench without the OC? If not, no biggie. My Socket 370 gear is packed up in storage currently.

Last edited by liqmat on 2020-04-04, 09:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14705 of 27350, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cleaned up my KR-8010, not computer but definitely vintage ! 1978 and weighs about 40-45 pounds. Have had this for quite a few years and use it in my Garage/shop area powering some early 80's Infinity towers. The cd player is a Denon DCM-360 that has worked flawlessly for decades.
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/ken … d/kr-8010.shtml
Tomorrow will try to refurb the PSU in that Laser XT/3 with new caps but if need be will swap a newer AT psu board into the old psu case..

Attachments

• Img_0985s.jpg
    Filename
    Img_0985s.jpg
    File size
    469.73 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14706 of 27350, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Was attempting to fix an Original Xbox 1.6 and broke three traces (will get a board + HDD combo on eBay to replace both since the board was beyond repairs anyway), got my old Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro to almost work (gets detected, no sound), attempted to repair it as well without success (still no sound), and the last bad luck, attempting to reinstall Windows 95C with another CD since the other one that can take a CD key I throw at it is scratched up on my 10x 5.25" bay case Pentium 100 build so that I can get everything all sorted out (put in the 4.3GB Western Digital that was in my Packard Bell after I upgraded the BIOS to the latest one since it only liked HDDs less than 2GB) with error messages when installing the drivers for everything. Still need to get the video card drivers for Windows 95C and possibly upgrade the CD-ROM drive for multisession support, but if I want to downgrade to a 486, a double-speed CD-ROM drive (currently installed) would suffice for period correctness and install the other CD-ROM drive for multisession CD-Rs. The Aztech card needs a new thumbwheel potentiometer as the legs on the current one broke off and I cannot find my spare.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 14707 of 27350, by Bancho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
liqmat wrote on 2020-04-03, 22:24:
Bancho wrote on 2020-04-03, 09:56:
I ran 2001SE for you liqmat. I'm interested to see how it compares to your machine. […]
Show full quote

hDUbsoIl.jpg

9268 for me, but no OC on my 1.4 like yours. I am using a 5950U though. Would you be able to easily bench without the OC? If not, no biggie. My Socket 370 gear is packed up in storage currently.

Just ran it stock 1.4 and i returned a score of 9732

Reply 14708 of 27350, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Watching official F1 Rewind on YouTube right now, 1996 Monaco GP - A Classic race.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 14709 of 27350, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bancho wrote on 2020-04-04, 12:43:

Just ran it stock 1.4 and i returned a score of 9732

Interesting. We're close, but running a 5950U you would think I would be doing better. Although, when I ran a stock FX5900 and a FX5950U against each other (both Gainward cards) it almost didn't register a difference. I think the 5950U got about 50 more points. The 5950U is an overrated card IMO. Also, the board I'm using it on forces it down to AGP 2x. Curious if your FX5900XT is running in 4x mode? I realize for in-game FPS counts we're close enough that I'm not going to see much difference, but I like to juice as much out of it as I can. IMO a Tualatin 1.4 system is perfect for Win98 gaming.

Reply 14710 of 27350, by andrea

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Today I mended a SB Live! that had a bum 93c46 eeprom. Unfortunately half the pads came out with the old chip.

pp3jbJm.jpg

RUaYGUw.jpg

Despite being a Dell OEM Value version, I think that the CT4780 is one of the best all-around variants of the Live. It works with the standard Liveware3 drivers, without having to mess with inf files and stuff, it has digital out on board, if that's your kind of thing, it has connectors for both a live drive and analog front panel (although a china-special adapter is needed). And the build quality is not as awful as other Creative Value stuff is ( cough... SB PCI... ).

And it works!
ZODuUGd.jpg

Reply 14711 of 27350, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

today I decided to swap out my big compaq P2 machine in my room for my much smaller P3 compaq deskpro. I had to put it back together beforehand and managed to snap the plastic heatsink retention thing so now have to wait for a replacement cooler to arrive.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 14712 of 27350, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
LewisRaz wrote on 2020-04-04, 16:15:

today I decided to swap out my big compaq P2 machine in my room for my much smaller P3 compaq deskpro. I had to put it back together beforehand and managed to snap the plastic heatsink retention thing so now have to wait for a replacement cooler to arrive.

I had that happen a long time ago on a Compaq Presario tower and ordered a replacement heatsink since it had side clips, which was nice.

Reply 14713 of 27350, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
andrea wrote on 2020-04-04, 15:37:

Today I mended a SB Live! that had a bum 93c46 eeprom. Unfortunately half the pads came out with the old chip.

Despite being a Dell OEM Value version, I think that the CT4780 is one of the best all-around variants of the Live. It works with the standard Liveware3 drivers, without having to mess with inf files and stuff, it has digital out on board, if that's your kind of thing, it has connectors for both a live drive and analog front panel (although a china-special adapter is needed). And the build quality is not as awful as other Creative Value stuff is ( cough... SB PCI... ).
And it works!

Good Work. Dell has used very good parts for a long time. I have your cards little sister CT4760.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14714 of 27350, by buff

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This was yesterday, but I decided to try and repair an old Hercules Radeon 8500 LE 128MB. I had killed it with a vmod about 10 years ago.

I took my iron and re-melted all the solder points where I had added wires for the vmod, and cleaned the rest real well with iso. and.......it works now. Was thrilled.

I then had a "dead" Hercules 3D Prophet that I thought was an 8500 64MB. Cleaned the board with iso, and it actually posted for the first time ever. It is a GeForce 2 Ultra, which blew me away. I have wanted one for my collection for awhile, but they cost too much on the bay.

Reply 14715 of 27350, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Being locked up and bored decided to work on my old White's Coinmaster metal detector. Is not computer related but is vintage in many ways. Originally built in 1974 using all discreet parts. Replaced a couple transistors and fixed the battery packs to accept regular 8 x AA plus a 9volt (needs a 12v and separate 9v supply). Now it works again though the trannies I used (2n2222) matched close in hfe, Ft, etc to originals, it is a bit more tricky to tune for proper use. I can post pics but a search for White CM4 TR shows what it looks like.

Reply 14716 of 27350, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Almost gave up on repairing the Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro (non-16) card. Turned out the 2 leads that go to FB2 and FB3 behind the jack had no contact. After adding some wiring (I really need 30 AWG wiring or more for trace repairs) to those SMDs and to the output jack, it lives! 1 of 3 projects fixed, need to fix the Windows 95C CD or figure out if I can rip the non-functioning CD and make a new one so that I can get my Pentium 100 to boot with all of the driversets instead of installing drivers one by one as the software crashed and I need to repair the OG Xbox board still (need 30 AWG or more wiring for trace repairs and go from there).

Reply 14717 of 27350, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got a Teco TR3230F thin client working in Win98 - it's a fairly crapulent SiS550/D&MP Vortex86 based thin client with possibly the worst driver support ever. - the onboard 2D only GPU (SiS550) and the audio driver (SiS 7019 AC97) do not seem to be hosted by SiS, and its vendor seemed to have removed support for it - except for some obscure and forgotten FTP server where the drivers can be found (ftp://icop.com.cn/MSTI/eboxII/) ...still, it was an "interesting" bit of kit. Both Win98 and Damned Small Linux worked relatively well on it. Not sure what it can do, though - The 200MHz CPU is rather slow, it's within the P5 family (no cmov) so modern Linux (Debian 9+) dropped support for it after 2016. It did got me out of a jam troubleshooting a few hardware boards, though.

Opened up an ISIS Imagestream TransPort router (it's a branded version of the Portwell NAD-2050-304) and discovered it to be a VIA ESP5000 based single board machine (Portwell PPAP1610-VL motherboard with an Via Apollo PE133 chipset, so it has a Trident Cyberblade i1 inside...okay for oldschool games) - it's really too bad that the VT82C686B does not have the embedded VIA7012 chip for audio - Going to toss an Aopen Cobra YMF744 inside, grab a PC104 VGA breakout cable, an Apacer PATA DOM and see if I can turn it into an oldschool gamer machine. Performance is expected to orbit around a Pentium II 350 but with better setmul support.

Last edited by ragefury32 on 2020-04-26, 05:35. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 14719 of 27350, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also got Windows 95C to work this time on my Pentium 100 system and it installed every driver. Going to install my Sound Blaster 16 CT2230 in the system for Windows, but I need to install a 2-pin jumper for the drive disable selection on the card as it has nothing except for solder pads. 2 of 3 projects complete, just need to fix my OG Xbox and see if it'll work after fixing the trace issues. I also cleaned up the sound card wire patch by making smaller wiring for the trace repairs and straight wire without the protection sleeve on it for the top of the card to patch the bad traces going from FB2 and FB3 to the jack itself. The line in jack needs the same thing done, so I'll be doing that and hope everything works, plus, my line in and mic jacks need ground repairs (I can use a wire without protection and solder the wire across).