VOGONS

First post, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello everyone,

I just recently picked up a Packard Bell Multimedia D1000 machine, which is not expandable. Specs wise, it's not a terrible machine. It has a pentium 200 MMX, 64MB of RAM and I put a 4GB CF Card in it. I have been unable to find the correct version of the System Restore Cd, and I have a list of about 20 or so. I know the machine came with Windows 95, but I don't know if it was a Master Disc with OSR A or OSR B, and I am having a very tough time finding audio drivers for the integrated Audio. If it had an ISA slot, I would just put the Waverider 32-PnP card I have in it and be done, but no expansion. It's kind of like a pizza box with ventilation above the CPU so as to exhaust the heat. The Chip on the board is an AZT2320 I believe, but Windows 95 identifies it as an AZT1015PnP? I have been looking all over the place and aside from a site called Sound-Drivers I haven't been able to find a driver, but that sound-drivers place tries to get me to install a program, which I don't trust. Especially since the download button lists a zip file. So the questions I have is, does anyone know what the Aztech Integrated Audio is? Or, secondly, does anyone know which Packard Bell Master Restore CD goes with this model? The BIOS has a date of 1995-1997, which would lead me to think the machine came out some time early 1997 through maybe early 1998? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am just a little stuck.

Regards,

Nathan

Reply 1 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so it looks like you have a 770 System Type.
http://www.oocities.org/sjg/pb770.html

Trying to find the specific driver package you need. I do have the Packard Bell ftp archive that I downloaded I think from archive.org. It is just a pain to try to find stuff because it is not organized in any logical way without having access to the original pages that pointed to the downloads.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 14, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@imi

I did try the regular 2320 driver, and it doesn't say it's a driver for the device. The machine itself is a fascinating machine to me. I mean it was a self-contained environment, right there at the cusp of when 3D Accelerated games were becoming the norm, but DOS was still around with Windows 95 and games still supported DOS. I just wish I could figure out the sound driver.

@cyclone3d

I did identify that the board is the PB770 but I cannot find the Packard Bell FTP Archive anywhere. I will see if I can find the Multimedia D1000 machine on the wayback machine to see if I can find the specific driver page.

-Edit-

I used the wayback machine and could not find the D1000 Machine. But if the rest of the machines that are based on the PB770 board are something to go by, then the machine was released in 1997, but the description for those machines is just a Stereo 16 bit sound card with a Brooktree Wavetable. Does that give any sort of hint?

Reply 4 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looking at the inf files for similar-ish sound device models makes it look like it is a PnP model and needs the AUD1015.INF file to be able to install.

Still looking.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 5 of 14, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think I found it. Audio works in DOS and Windows, but I am encountering a strange audio issue. On the first DirectX based game I tried, Nightmare Creatures, I get a persistent clicking that is cyclical and ongoing until I close the game. Interestingly enough. Once installed, the Card shows up in the Multimedia Properties as Sound Galaxy Playback and Record, but the name in the Device manager is Packard Bell PnP Audio Device w/SWT. It has a software wavetable that isn't terrible. Not great but works well enough. The chip has integrated OPL2/3 FM Synthesis in it. The chip on the board actually says OPL on it, which is neat. I was able to find these drivers, which appear to work on the Packard Bell Master Restore Disc #175710-5 which is from March 1998? And I used the Master Restore Diskette version 8 to boot into the system recovery setting. Volume is low, and the sound is decent. Better than I would have expected for a low end chip, but the card seems to have disassociative identity disorder, identifying itself as two different names in two separate places. What is really strange for me is that in Multimedia Properties under Advanced, the Audio Devices has the card Listed as Packard Bell PnP. Point of fact, everything in the drivers on the advanced tab is Packard Bell PnP. It's only on the Audio tab under playback and recording does it say otherwise. When it runs the AZTPNP.EXE in Dosstart.bat there is no name given to the card. This machine is very strange, and I'm finding it very enlightening to working on.

Reply 6 of 14, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would you be able to post those up somewhere so we can upload them to vogonsdrivers?

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 7 of 14, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The way the disc is, it might be difficult to find the specific .cab file that contains the drivers. If I can find them I will upload them online and post a link.

-Edit-

Interestingly, I have had issues with *some* games that utilize directX for audio, and I was a little unsure why. It turns out when I check out DirectX 5, the Audio Drivers for this device are not certified. DirectX3.0 was certified, but not 5? This leads to some game audio clicking cyclically while you play them, so far of the very few games I have installed, Nightmare Creatures, and Oddworld Abe's Oddysee are effected. I don't know if there is an updated driver for AZT2320 devices that is compatible with this specific version that supports DX5 or if it's just something that will have to be dealt with. Granted my plan is to play older win95 games on here. The first game I installed is Freddi Fish 3 for my 5 year old daughter and I to play.

Last edited by nathanieltolbert on 2020-04-10, 05:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 14, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh, I got the disc on Archive . org along with about 2 dozen others. If you want I can bundle them all together along with boot disk images and create a link to that. It's probably about 15GB of Packard Bell Recovery Media files, mostly in CD ISO files. It goes from Windows 3.0 and DOS5.0 all the way through Windows 95B. I am still missing quite a few images though.

Reply 10 of 14, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nathanieltolbert wrote on 2020-04-10, 05:05:

Oh, I got the disc on Archive . org along with about 2 dozen others. If you want I can bundle them all together along with boot disk images and create a link to that. It's probably about 15GB of Packard Bell Recovery Media files, mostly in CD ISO files. It goes from Windows 3.0 and DOS5.0 all the way through Windows 95B. I am still missing quite a few images though.

That sounds very handy. I have several old PB disks around as well, but it would be nice to have such a variety.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 11 of 14, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Of course. Let me bundle them all up into one directory, and then I will create a folder on my cloud drive to share.

Okay, here is a link to the Recovery CD's that I have for Packard Bell - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1bm14j … rJv?usp=sharing

I collected these from Archive . org just consolidated them.

Reply 12 of 14, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So it ended up being 45 image files. 7 of those are floppy disks, and the rest are ISO images ranging from 1992 all of the way up to 1998. So a good 6 years of Recovery CDs, which I hope can help others recover their software for their old Packard Bells.

Reply 14 of 14, by nathanieltolbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for the help in figuring out how to get this machine working. 😀 I've ordered 1MB of DRAM for the video card to upgrade it to 2MB, I've popped a 2GB CF card in it to mimic the 2.1GB IDE hard drive that it originally had in it, and left the 64MB of RAM alone. Cleaned up the case and have been slowly working on getting that rusted area on the one screw cleaned up so I remove the remains of the screw and start sanding the case. I'm going to be that goober that takes the case lid down to the local paint store and use the machine to match the paint so I can touch up all of the scuffs on the case. And then if I can, I will try to retrobrite the front. I haven't ever done that though. I will post a picture after I get the case all cleaned up.