Common searches

Sound and Video Delays

Topic actions

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am very impressed with Glidos, it provides an almost perfect Tomb Raider experience. But I have noticed four issues:

First, when using the original Tomb Raider CD, the dialogue tracks are not played in sync with the cutscenes. The dialogue seems to be about two seconds behind the action, which I attribute to the CD spinning up and taking time to find and initialize the proper track. Unfortunately, the results screen cuts off the dialogue. As an example, the results screen appears before Lara says "Thank you, I will." to Larson.

Second, it seems there is a slight pause as the movies are streamed off the CD. This causes the picture to stay black for a brief second, then the movie plays regularly.

Third, the EDIOS logo does not apear on startup.

Fourth, the title screen music wrongly plays during the tutorial level, Lara's Home.

Reply 1 of 62, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, after a few experiments, I have found no particularly satisfactory solution. I tried using Daemon Tools, figuring that access to a virtual CD would be faster than access to the real thing. Unfortunately, Daemon Tools is too good an emulator.

Next I tried using the audio pack. This fixed the cutscenes problem and the demo level problem. Unfortunately, the audio packs don't go beyond level 6, so the three later cutscenes play without sound.

Reply 2 of 62, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The audio packs are the way to go in the long run, but the triggers are very hard to create, and it'll be a while before they are finished.

The root problem is that TR1's audio doesn't work on Windows XP. The facilities within Glidos to address these problems are really just addons to the main program. Glidos is foremost a Glide wrapper.

Reply 4 of 62, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There is no solution that can play the cutscenes perfectly in sync with the accompanying audio track. Glidos, dgVoodoo, DOSBox and straight VDMsound all play the tracks too slow. SAPCUDEX is the only device I have used that plays them too quickly, but nothing plays them right.

Also, there is no ideal way to play Tomb Raider at this time on Windows XP. Glidos suffers from the above listed bugs. dgVoodoo and VDMSound will always give crackling sound effects and cutscenes. dgVoodoo doesn't support mipmapping while Glidos does. Also, dgVoodoo's default gamma is too low at times, Glidos uses the 3dfx patch's default gamma (high though it is.) DOSBox is too slow to play the game at 640x480 with smooth framerates, regardless of how fast the host processor is.

Reply 6 of 62, by slube

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And, of course, if you want the authentic playstation experience, you could always pick up the PSX version of the game, and then play it with an emulator such as epsxe. The graphics are kind of shuddery, and you get no benefit of the texture packs, but the music is all there and the sound effects are enhanced by the plug-ins. Also, the movies can be viewed without scanlines.

Reply 7 of 62, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As an extra note on this topic, the theme tune from the main screen also continues in Lara's mansion when you use CD audio / Red Book emulation and NO MP3 sounds.

Reply 8 of 62, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And another thing that's really annoying: background music plays through the RPL movies if one comes after the other -- especially a problem on the first movie when selecting a New game, the main theme continues to play. Again, this is with MP3 enabled and Redbook disabled.

Reply 10 of 62, by Gambit37

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

VDos32 won't support hi-res textures will it?

Still really looking forward to the 100% perfect solution for TR under Windows with hi-res textures... 😀

Reply 12 of 62, by tizerist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thats what i want also, gambit.

but i thought if i kept on mentioning the title music problem , people would say things like "can't you just be happy with what you got, its no big deal" so i'm glad you mentioned that.

i don't know what vdos32 is, but if it helps with the above problem, be sure to make me aware of it when its ready, please.

nice.

Reply 13 of 62, by laracroft.net

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone.

I am trying to make Tomb Raider 1 work under Windows Vista, but I have sound issues. A fan of the Tomb Raider series, I have had the opportunity to try out Glidos once before under Windows XP and I was very impressed with the result, so thank you very much for such a great programme! (I intend to buy a key as soon as I get rid of my current problems.)

Following instructions gathered in www.glidos.net and other Web sites, I installed Glidos v1_36a, installed TR1 using the 'Tomb Raider 1 preconfigured for use with VDos32 (Glide rendering)' file, downloaded and copied VDos32 v0_5 into the Glidos folder.
I'm pretty sure I read on a forum somewhere yesterday (actually, I think it was a post by Glidos, but I may be wrong) that VDMSound wasn't needed with VDos32, so I uninstalled it.

I first tried to run the game with an OpenGL Glide Driver and the Use VDos32 option enabled (all configurations successively), but it kept crashing after the intro RPL sequences (screen went blank with "out of range" message at first, then with a Windows message informing me that VDos32 had failed; after clicking OK I got a "Read failure message" -see attachment).
Moreover, both image and sound in the RPL sequence were jerky and slowed down (giving the sound a stuttering effect).

After giving VDos32 v0_4 an unsuccessful try, I re-installed v0_5 and changed the settings to the Direct3D Glide driver, with fixed options Full screen, No overriding of textures, MP3 background sounds and of course Use VDos32.
Now I can play the game (all resolutions and all extras, though it looks best with a 1600x1200 resolution without any extras for the time being -I've just had a quick look at the first level).

However, there remains a problem with sound and RPL sequences:
- Superimposition of background and RPL sequence sound (eg when new game is loaded from title page);
- Although background sounds play smoothly, RPL sequences are jerky and slow motion, and their soundtrack is correspondingly stuttering;
- On title page and in-game, background sounds are great but sound FX are stuttering, just like in the RPL sequences (so you can barely understand Lara when she talks).
(On the other hand, I don't seem to have the title page music continuing in the Manor.)

So basically, although the game runs, it's not very enjoyable in the present state.
As I have at least got that far, which is a great imrovement on yesterday, I have been afraid of fiddling with it too much by myself, as I don't understand anything about OpenGL and the technology Glidos uses. Plus I have to admit I tend to get a bit confused with all the different possible ways of installing TR1, all the available patches etc.

So could you please tell me if I've done something wrong, or do you have any idea how to fix it?
I've searched the forum for answers, but I've only run across descriptions of this problem a couple of times, including in this topic (others include the "Sound distortion / Cut out" thread), and not in my present configuration.

I run Windows Vista Home Permium 32 bits (EN) on an ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard with an Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 @ 2.40GHz CPU and 2Gb of RAM; my graphics card is a Sapphire ATI X1900XT 512Mb.

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Attachments

"I'm not interrupting, am I?" -Lara Croft, Tomb Raider - Adventures of Lara Croft

Reply 14 of 62, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like you've done everything just right. The problem seems to be between VDos32 and your sound card. You could try reinstalling VDM Sound, and disabling "Use VDos32" under Glidos (32bit Vista does support DOS, the problems are mainly to do with drivers).

Its a good idea to update Sound and Video drivers from the manufacturer's web as soon as new vesions appear. On the Video side that may allow you to run under OpenGL, which may not help, but you never know.

Reply 15 of 62, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Won't he have to use XP drivers in Vista if he is not using VDos32?

/EDIT Maybe not though...I do know that he'll have to use XP drivers in Vista if he wants to use the full-screen command prompt in Vista but I'm not sure how this works with GliDOS in Vista since you use OpenGlide for GliDOS.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2007-04-24, 11:35. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 62, by Glidos

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Running under VDos32, I've sometimes had TR1 run very slowly, but then just clicking the mouse has put it right. No idea why.

I must admit, I have yet to run any of this on Vista myself. I've just bought a copy, so I should get to it soon.

Hmmm, it might make a lot of sense to make Glidos support DosBox in the long run.

Reply 19 of 62, by laracroft.net

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there.

I was actually busy writing a reply and following leads to cover as many solutions as possible, so I'm going to send it all the same in a minute, although I guess parts of it won't be relevant any more given your input.

"I'm not interrupting, am I?" -Lara Croft, Tomb Raider - Adventures of Lara Croft