VOGONS

HWiNFO for DOS resurrected !

Topic actions

Reply 301 of 881, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, let's put the other DOS hardware utilities to shame! I'm pretty disappointed with ASTRA. That utility has been around for a long time and is still being developed, but it let me down. Maybe that developer will be on vogons next.

Here's the log file.

It didn't hang on ISA and other device check, didn't hang on peripherals, obviously SCSI info not available. Available IRQ's same as before. Chipset still reads SCREAMER. And Math Co-Pro shows NONE. So far, none of the other software could correctly identify this copro, but one at least measured its speed correctly at 66 MHz.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    18.93 KiB
    Downloads
    47 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 303 of 881, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, all done for now.

I tried to run Norton Diagnostics version 8.1. It gave me the same out of memory error that yours does, so I booted with the MS DOS boot floppy to just load himem. Program runs, but hangs right when it opens. This must be a pretty odd system to debug.

Reply 305 of 881, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mumak wrote on 2020-04-18, 07:10:

Please try the latest build I posted here: Re: HWiNFO for DOS resurrected !
If it still hangs can you please take a picture so I can see where exactly it did ?

I did that, it hangs just immediately after opening the System Information tab.

Attachments

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 306 of 881, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

appreciate the update for this tool, i had tried the old version before and was a bit surprised seeing a ~500kb requirement in the readme when in reality it was more like 600kb. now it's finally runnable without too much hassle.

just a small thing i've noticed, my batman's revenge board (430LX) was misdetected as a plato board (430NX). this goes for both DOS and windows versions.

Reply 307 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have completely rewritten the FPU test, so here a new test build:
[build pulled, newer available]
But meanwhile I found another bug which is affecting much newer systems and is probably causing hangs as recently reported by others. I'm still working on resolving this...

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-04-21, 09:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 308 of 881, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello Mumak,

I saw this thread, and I'd thought I'd help.

Never have I've been so excited to run HWINFO before! (being serious) I grabbed the latest version from your website (modified date April 13, 2020), which is older than the one you just posted above, but I encountered no issues, so I guess it doesn't really matter, eh?

I'm really impressed. It felt so cool to see all the specs of the system under DOS. Probs one of the coolest DOS programs I've used, but then again I don't have much DOS experience (I don't really use DOS except to play DOS games).

H1OrpTkl.jpg

Anywho, as you can see, I used my Pentium MMX machine as the test candidate, running HWINFO under its DOS 6.22 install, using the XMS (Extended Memory) manager. (If you want an overview of the system, click here)

I've attached the log for the program as well if you are interested.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    111.38 KiB
    Downloads
    53 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 309 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
the_ultra_code wrote on 2020-04-20, 07:21:
Hello Mumak, […]
Show full quote

Hello Mumak,

I saw this thread, and I'd thought I'd help.

Never have I've been so excited to run HWINFO before! (being serious) I grabbed the latest version from your website (modified date April 13, 2020), which is older than the one you just posted above, but I encountered no issues, so I guess it doesn't really matter, eh?

I'm really impressed. It felt so cool to see all the specs of the system under DOS. Probs one of the coolest DOS programs I've used, but then again I don't have much DOS experience (I don't really use DOS except to play DOS games).

H1OrpTkl.jpg

Anywho, as you can see, I used my Pentium MMX machine as the test candidate, running HWINFO under its DOS 6.22 install, using the XMS (Extended Memory) manager. (If you want an overview of the system, click here)

I've attached the log for the program as well if you are interested.

Thank you 😀 It's great to see that everything worked there well!

Reply 310 of 881, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Attached is the log for HWiNFO on the SXL2-66/screamer configuration.

FPU detection is almost correct. The FPU installed is a:
Math-Co DX-2 66 MHz
US83D87-C

Do you intend to have HWiNFO show the FPU operating frequency?

Chipset still shows as SCREAMER rather than VLSI Topcat. IRQ's 10, 11, 12 still show as free. IRQ5 shows as FREE with LPT2, which I guess is a default fall-back of sorts.

All the DOS utilities I've tested so far have been able to detect my PS/2 mouse on IRQ 12. Will HWiNFO be able to do this in the future?

Peripherals Information shows Sound Card: Not Present. If detecting the make/model of the sound card is problematic, is there a less intrusive routine you can run to detect that there is a sound card present on IRQ5? I wonder if I load the sound card drive, if NWiNFO will show a sound card present...

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    37.85 KiB
    Downloads
    62 downloads
    File license

Reply 311 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks.
Do you maybe have more information about the various ULSI FPUs? Currently I can recognize U83S87 and U83C87 only. I'm not sure about your US83D87 model, is that still the ULSI brand? How is it different from the S or C ?
FPU clock detection - I have code for this and it was working in the past. But I removed it in later versions to save memory..

Chipset recognition - this doesn't work, as you have seen the chipset doesn't respond per the VLSI documents, so I can't detect it 🙁

Yes, I will have a look at PS/2 detection, but a bit later once I can clear my large queue of other issues.

Sound card - I think that if you'd load the sound card driver, detection might work. I assume that it will do the PnP init (which is not done by your BIOS as it's not PnP-compliant). This would be interesting to know as I'm still planning to somehow add PnP init for such cases and was wondering if that would help in this case too.

Reply 312 of 881, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes it is ULSI. The chip looks like this: http://www.chipdb.org/img-ulsi-387-dx2-66-mhz … 3d87-c-3754.htm

If you cannot get HWiNFO to run on 500 KB or less, I think leaving the FPU speed detection in place may be worthwhile. How much memory does it consume?

This FPU is different in that it clock doubles. Other than that, it is similar to the C variant. There is an IIT version that also clock doubles, but is limited to 2x25 MHz. The ULSI DX2-66 is rather rare, but the IIT 2x25 is a bit easier to find.

I will check hwinfo with the sound card driver loaded.

Reply 313 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Roughly checking the FPU clock detection will occupy ~5 KB more.
So we can say that if ULSI FPU clock >= 50 MHz, it's the D variant?
FPU detection is quite limited, there are no IDs, nothing just tests to find out differences in math/flag results. So we can't expect here to always have precise identification.

Reply 314 of 881, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, I think so. I looked on chipdb.org and all the clock doubled ULSI chips (50 & 66 MHz) have the D, while none of the 33/40 MHz ULSI chips have the D.

Here's the ULSI 50 MHz: http://www.chipdb.org/img-ulsi-dx-dlc-2-50-7133.htm

I enabled the ESS sound card driver. HWiNFO finds a sound card, but the incorrect one. I've seen other DOS hardware utilities incorrect label it as a creative labs card as well. I know at least one got it right, but forget which. HWiNFO identifies the sound card as a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Pro (CT1335). I think the ESS AudioDrive 1868 is at least SB Pro compatible, so its a good start.

Report attached for the cased with the ESS drivers installed.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    57.29 KiB
    Downloads
    48 downloads
    File license

Reply 315 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the Sound Card is SB-compatible, hence it's detected as such.
But I also have dedicated code to detect ESS cards including ES1868, don't know why it didn't work here. Please try this build what it will report:
[pulled, newer build available]

Last edited by Mumak on 2020-04-20, 11:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 316 of 881, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's the repot. Still shows a sound blaster.

Attachments

• Filename
    HWINFO.LOG
    File size
    78.03 KiB
    Downloads
    49 downloads
    File license

Reply 317 of 881, by Mumak

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, it looks like ESS made a bit of mess according to the documents I just read...
Please do a new test using the "debug" tool and post what it returns:

i 226
i 226

i 224
i 226
i 226

i 22C
i 226
i 226

i 22A
i 226
i 226

Reply 318 of 881, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here's the debug.

Attachments

• Debug.jpg
    Filename
    Debug.jpg
    File size
    3.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain