Topic actions

Reply 580 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-04-19, 03:04:

Just thought of one more thing!

The mobile version is completely missing the "Your posts| New posts| Active topics" buttons as far as I can tell. Browsing anything on a phone is tedious enough. Removing useful shortcut buttons like that makes navigating mobile sites even less fun. I have to switch to desktop view for this forum because I use the features missing from mobile.

Actually they are not missing, just hidden behind a submenu inside the search button. They are there per design, because "small space".

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 581 of 743, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I believe pressing on the search button on the main page shows those, but I do agree. I wish it was shown on the main page instead of pressing the search button, but, it is what it is.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 583 of 743, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just for some input on the shrinking cursor problem, I was alerted to the fact that it does not happen on Microsoft Edge for some reason. It just leaves the cursor alone. As such, at least the usability issue regarding the custom cursor can be avoided, at least for now. So, I guess the problematic cursor scaling is a Chrome issue, or doesn't impact Edge, one of the two. Hopefully this will help in solving the issue for those that choose or need to use Chrome.

Reply 584 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paralel wrote on 2020-04-20, 16:56:

Just for some input on the shrinking cursor problem, I was alerted to the fact that it does not happen on Microsoft Edge for some reason. It just leaves the cursor alone. As such, at least the usability issue regarding the custom cursor can be avoided, at least for now. So, I guess the problematic cursor scaling is a Chrome issue, or doesn't impact Edge, one of the two. Hopefully this will help in solving the issue for those that choose or need to use Chrome.

The weird thing on your report is that Edge is actually a "camouflaged" Chromium based browser. Both Edge and Chrome use the same engine. So I can't understand HOW it does not affect Edge, but affects Chrome, unless you are speaking about the older Edge (Trident engine).

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 586 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr_st wrote on 2020-04-21, 04:28:

Fact of the matter - it does not affect Edge on Win10.

I had to check on my macOS, and indeed must be only on WIndows. My Edge macOS version is affected.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 587 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That is really weird. Edge is basically just a rebranded Chrome, but yes - it does not switch to the Vogons mouse cursor. 😀

It is loading the CSS rule for the cursor image, though - just not applying it. So that's probably a bug that might be "fixed" in the future.

Anmerkung 2020-04-21 225945.jpg
Filename
File size
44.84 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Edit: I downloaded the latest beta build from Edge Insider and the mouse cursor is switching like it should. So this workaround probably won't work with the next stable version of Edge anymore.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 588 of 743, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK I like how the new forum looks, but there's a big problem for me: it does not run on my old computer anymore. It was great to be able to run Vogons in my Pentium using Retrozilla.
I can barely browse and I cannot log in.
I guess it has to do with the change to HTTPS.

Reply 589 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kikendo wrote on 2020-04-23, 03:53:

OK I like how the new forum looks, but there's a big problem for me: it does not run on my old computer anymore. It was great to be able to run Vogons in my Pentium using Retrozilla.
I can barely browse and I cannot log in.
I guess it has to do with the change to HTTPS.

Protocols and Ciphers. And even if you manage to view the page, you will be disappointed with the formatting. Plain white and no CSS at all.

Its like that from Win 3x IE5 until Win 9x Netscape 9.0.0.6. Although, with Roytam1s NSS update for Netscape, I can at least log in.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 590 of 743, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schmatzler wrote on 2020-04-21, 20:56:
That is really weird. Edge is basically just a rebranded Chrome, but yes - it does not switch to the Vogons mouse cursor. :) […]
Show full quote

That is really weird. Edge is basically just a rebranded Chrome, but yes - it does not switch to the Vogons mouse cursor. 😀

It is loading the CSS rule for the cursor image, though - just not applying it. So that's probably a bug that might be "fixed" in the future.

Edit: I downloaded the latest beta build from Edge Insider and the mouse cursor is switching like it should. So this workaround probably won't work with the next stable version of Edge anymore.

I appreciate you letting me know about that. I will make sure to stay at my current patch level then. Since the member of the forum that is the "mastermind" behind the redesign is convinced that the lack of cursor scaling is a "bug" that needs to be handled by the people who are responsible for maintaining the browser. Unfortunately, they haven't decided to handle this "bug" since it was submitted to them. I will just wait until it is "corrected" by them to go beyond my current patch level.

Reply 591 of 743, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2020-01-22, 09:07:
I agree that it is bad form to hijack the cursor, IMO. But you are blowing this completely out of proportion and using people wi […]
Show full quote

I agree that it is bad form to hijack the cursor, IMO.
But you are blowing this completely out of proportion and using people with disabilities as scapegoats for your own agenda.
Handling the cursor IS on Snover's list. So please back off and calm down.
Pushing the button again and again won't make an elevator go faster. And throwing insults at Snover is definitely not going to make HIM go faster.

I just wanted to say that I think this reply by a moderator is just appalling. This forum member was not using people with disabilities as a scapegoat for his own agenda. As someone who has an ocular disability, he was advocating on our behalf, and I can't begin to describe how incredibly grateful I am for this. Those of us that are impacted by disability that create barriers to accessibility, especially on the web, have vanishing few allies among the able bodied. His advocacy should be lauded, never shamed. To see someone such as yourself who is supposed to work on behalf of this forum acting in such bad faith turns my stomach. You should be ashamed of yourself. But, based on your post, I doubt you feel anything but justified.

Reply 592 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Kind of yes.
I still think he was using people with disabilities to get what HE wants (not because he cares) and to justify his insults at Snover. I'm sorry my opinion offends you. Even as a moderator I think I have the right to voice my opinion as long as I keep it civil. And of course everyone has the right to say my opinion sucks.

I still agree that hijacking the cursor is not good, foremost because of people who need a different cursor and also because I don't like it on principle (even though for me it barely changes size and just switches colors).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 594 of 743, by Oj0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When viewing on a phone, how do I get to "new posts"?

Edit - never mind, it's answered above on this very page. I'm sure I'm not the only person who wondered this so I'll post it again here - tap on the "search" icon and the three missing buttons "Your posts/New posts/Active topics" will show.

Edit 2 - what's this "hijacked curson" people mention? It looks normal on Chrome 81.0.4044.122 and Firefox 56.0.

Bondye: Pentium II 400MHz, AOpen AX6BC EZ, 256MB PC-100, 40GB IDE HDD, PowerColor EvilKing 4 Voodoo4 4500 AGP
Daily Driver: Core i7-4790K, Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming5, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB SSD + 10.5TB SATA HDD, GeForce GTX 1050

Reply 595 of 743, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No it doesn't, at least not in Firefox. It's very subtle though.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 596 of 743, by Oj0

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh I see, it gets ever so slightly smaller. I thought it was a completely different cursor, such as those you got with old Win9x themes.

Bondye: Pentium II 400MHz, AOpen AX6BC EZ, 256MB PC-100, 40GB IDE HDD, PowerColor EvilKing 4 Voodoo4 4500 AGP
Daily Driver: Core i7-4790K, Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming5, 16GB DDR3-1600, 120GB SSD + 10.5TB SATA HDD, GeForce GTX 1050

Reply 597 of 743, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For those of us that need the "Extra Large" cursor for accessibility reasons, it is quite a substantial difference.

BrCJbEz.png

The difference is even greater when scaling is needed which makes the cursor even larger, but which is also ignored by this site.

The issue with the "Cursor Hijacking" is that it prevents people who need a different cursor for accessibility reasons from using the cursor size they need. The mods/admins of the site have refused to remove this "Hijacking", claiming that it is an issue the people that make the browser need to fix, when they could easily just comment out this code and stop "Hijacking" the cursor. The "Hijacking" provides no functional value at all, it is strictly an aesthetic choice.

Reply 598 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

it is interesting that the cursor thing doesn't seem to have any effect on my browser, I always just had the default cursor and nothing changed, regardless of javascript enabled/disabled or using my userstyle or not.