VOGONS

First post, by BrettA2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I recently got into DOSbox to play an old game " Steven Spielberg directors chair ".
i installed WIn 3.1 and , after many attempts i managed to install the game and works perfectly, but when it wants to change to disk 2 or 3 it just sits there.
I have tried various tutorials, on imgmount but all i seem to see is " The image must be on a host or local drive ".

i have mount commands in the dosbox options already

mount C C:\DOS\C
mount D C:\DOS\D -t cdrom
imgmount D C:\Dos\D:\DC1.iso D:\DC2.iso -t cdrom

i know im missing something, any help would be great.

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1st of all imgmount only supports mounting more than one image on SVN builds.
But I'm not sure that imgmount supports multiple iso images.

And you can't mount d as a folder *AND* then imgmount D with isos (but I think you didn't - it just looks like this in your post)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, if you are mounting your iso then this actually prevents you from doing that.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should always check the game config files to see if you can copy the CD contents to your hard drive and then change the game to point to that folder.
If that's not possible then you can mount a folder as a CDROM but if you have multiple discs then you would have to account for that somehow.
You can also install a CD emulator like Daemon Tools on your host and use the mount command for the host emulated cd drive if you want.

The proper usage of imgmount from the DOSBox readme is as follows, remember to use CTRL+F4 to swap CDs and make sure you use the proper locations:

IMGMOUNT DRIVE [imagefile1 imagefile2 .. imagefileN] -t cdrom -fs iso

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 10, by BrettA2020

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok
So when I go to install game from D: CD-ROM, inside win 3.1 it only sees the iso file, not the set up file.
I have managed to breakdown the CD’s ( friend has the original disks ) and put all files into 3 folders ( disk 1 ,2,3 )
When the game asks me to insert disk 2, will it automatically look in these folders? Or will I need to mount these at the start?
Thanks

Reply 7 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

If it sees the iso file you either didn't use imgmount but again mounted a folder.
Or your isos have isos in them?

Write us your exact mount/ingmount commands you are using.
And no, if the game is asking for CD2 instead of being satisfied with the folder contents, it's not working

Reply 8 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote on 2020-04-21, 21:17:

1st of all imgmount only supports mounting more than one image on SVN builds.

For floppy images, yes, but support for multiple CD images has been around for a while.

I would have thought that 0.74-2 or 0.74-3 would have added support for multiple floppy images from SVN, but I guess not.

Reply 10 of 10, by _Rob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you use any of the DOSBox forks (DOSBox ECE, DOSBox-X, DOSBox Staging) multiple CD images will work.

It is about time that there was a real update to vanilla DOSBox...

I have all 4 installed. Typically for DOS games, I use DOSBox ECE. For any cases requiring better emulation accuracy (Win 3.1 or Win9x) I use DOSBox-X.