VOGONS

Reply 240 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am getting the freeze in DynaBlaster and haven't yet figured out the reason. SETUPSA definitely does something different but I'm not yet sure what. Running SETYMF after SETUPSA won't show improvement, at least suggesting that it isn't setting some secret stuff that I don't know about. I'll have to make a little program to read back the state of the card after running SETUPSA and spot any differences.

Cool Spot I couldn't get to freeze or play samples for that matter...

There's been no work done on the ARMcard, I have been really busy with many other things...

EDIT: There are some minor differences between SETYMF and SETUPSA as far as conf written to the card goes, main thing being IRQ A and B are reversed on SETUPSA, but doing it same way in SETYMF resulted in no change. Running another game beforehand doesn't change anything either so the plot thickens. I'm not sure at all what SETUPSA does different that it works while SETYMF doesn't with that particular game...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 241 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SETYMF has been updated to fix a problem with SET BLASTER variable handling. It didn't handle IRQ 10 and 11 properly. P value now follows MPU401 of YMF719 rather than 721 on cards that aren't mine now. Pressing ESC doesn't immediately exit but goes to the exit screen first, this is how it was supposed to be but at some point I borked it and never noticed 🤣.

I have not figured out DynaBlaster problem, maybe the WSS side has an effect on SB side... that's the last place I haven't yet looked.

Reply 242 of 339, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Long time without update, was problem above fixed? How about selling, its good.. or its still blocked by parts supply problems?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 243 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Right now problem is lack of time and money, another project that pays the bills eats the time and stuff such as having to get firewood ate most of the funds. I have plans to finish off this project without incorporating YMF704/721 on the design and free up the money stuck in the parts that exist in my stash. I first need to raise enough to get PCBs made and buy remaining missing components like capacitors, resistors and inductors. When the project that pays the bills is over and the YMF71x card is out I'll focus more intensely on the ARMcard.

The DynaBlaster problem I haven't been able to figure out, I don't seem to find any difference between what SETYMF and SETUPSA do to the chip, maybe order of initialization is important...

Reply 244 of 339, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wanted to say thank you for setymf . Setupsa.exe is really unpleasant . Init3dxg does not allow to enable line input properly for my Monster midi on 3dxg and as an added bonus, it leaves a hanging note on the monster midi (likely due to init meant for original db60xg daughterboard).

Anyway, I sent a small donation your way. Not much, but I hope it helps you get through these tough times .

Reply 245 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

SETYMF sends a GM reset to connected MIDI devices as part of initialisation, which should silence any hanging notes and put the MIDI device into a default state.

Thänk you very much, it is appreciated a lot ~

----
There's no significant news around my projects. Work things to raise money are taking priority but this whole virus business is not helping at all and it is eating into what is being raised... Tough times for a lot of people, hopefully things will not last too much longer. My country's government is extending the crisis state couple more weeks and before end of may there's nothing good gonna happen...

Reply 246 of 339, by quovadis11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any updates?
I just buy 9719VG2AR last a few days ago and I found out AWE64 cannot run properly on this motherboard 🙁
There are so many SoundCard project right here but I think your project just fit with this motherboard because you're owner of this board 😀

Reply 247 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, AWE32/64 will not work properly with that board, since not enough IO ranges can be passed to the ISA slot.

I now actually finally have all the parts necessary to make the new sound cards, but it sort of is a busy time right now, Orpheus just got released and I'm not intent on stealing or sharing the thunder, it won't benefit anyone.

In addition my current work has conflict of interest with the sound card and it'll take a while longer before I can make the new cards. But they will happen in not so far future ~

IMG_9015.jpg
Filename
IMG_9015.jpg
File size
232.37 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 248 of 339, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

how is OS compatibility with this card? win 7, ME/98 Linux,?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 249 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Full use is only achieved in DOS and Win95/98/SE/ME. Maybe OS/2 too but certainly not NT, 2K and XP since SETYMF cannot be run on them prior to OS load so only some of the features are available. Linux is in similar boat, there should de a YMF71x driver available but SETYMF is required for full use. Win Vista and newer are not supported, 7 has ISA support completely dropped from what I know. 64bit Windowses never had any drivers for these cards, at best you can do something on 32bit only.

Reply 250 of 339, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2021-01-29, 07:49:

Full use is only achieved in DOS and Win95/98/SE/ME. Maybe OS/2 too but certainly not NT, 2K and XP since SETYMF cannot be run on them prior to OS load so only some of the features are available. Linux is in similar boat, there should de a YMF71x driver available but SETYMF is required for full use. Win Vista and newer are not supported, 7 has ISA support completely dropped from what I know. 64bit Windowses never had any drivers for these cards, at best you can do something on 32bit only.

so full use in 9x/dos and partial use in nt based OS up to xp (I’ll have sound). But nothing zilch in vista and up.🤔

Are there any cards available for purchace? How much? What accessories are included?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 251 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

More or less yes, that's how it can be. Vista and newer applies to all the ISA cards not just this one. ISA support began to be actively removed at that point.

For the time being there are no cards, my hands are still too full with work things. I will have a handful of cards made in coming months. There's a test card to build and verify and also all new SETYMF is in the cooking process. On the outside it'll look same but inside will be completely different, smaller and more efficient with more room for new stuff as the need arises.

There's only a bare card in the box, no extra stuff though if there's anything in particular one wants I can try to accomodate it. For example new card has boot ROM socket on it and I can put XTIDE or something on it and conf it to a requested memory address.

Reply 252 of 339, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tiido wrote on 2021-01-29, 08:17:

More or less yes, that's how it can be. Vista and newer applies to all the ISA cards not just this one. ISA support began to be actively removed at that point.

For the time being there are no cards, my hands are still too full with work things. I will have a handful of cards made in coming months. There's a test card to build and verify and also all new SETYMF is in the cooking process. On the outside it'll look same but inside will be completely different, smaller and more efficient with more room for new stuff as the need arises.

There's only a bare card in the box, no extra stuff though if there's anything in particular one wants I can try to accomodate it. For example new card has boot ROM socket on it and I can put XTIDE or something on it and conf it to a requested memory address.

actually I've been looking to add a plop boot rom to my systems so that is super handy!!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 253 of 339, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2021-01-29, 08:17:

I certainly wouldn't mind paying extra for a version that included intelligent MPU-401, like the Orpheus does. I already have an Orpheus and love it, but the Yamaha YMF-71x is my favorite chipset. I love cards that save me ISA slots.😝🤣

Reply 254 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That would require all new design and that is not gonna happen, card with intelligent MPU will be the next card after this one, and that would be all new parts card without any old parts on it. FPGA, STM32, very high quality analog bits and various nice features with full compatibility intended to be achieved. ARMcard seen earlier in this thread is a stepping stone to that particular card 🤣.

Reply 255 of 339, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2021-01-29, 10:34:

That would require all new design and that is not gonna happen, card with intelligent MPU will be the next card after this one, and that would be all new parts card without any old parts on it. FPGA, STM32, very high quality analog bits and various nice features with full compatibility intended to be achieved. ARMcard seen earlier in this thread is a stepping stone to that particular card 🤣.

Cool, interested in it. What is the FPGA going to cover compatibitlity wise? SB Pro + SB 16 + Int. MPU? No old parts on it means it won't have real OPL3? Has the Yamaha OPL3 core completely reverse engineered so that it can be recreated via FPGA with 100% gate accuracy? Any other sound standards that might fit on the FPGA?

A lot of questions, but you got my attention. 😀

Reply 256 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It sorta aims to same general direction as the AudioLoca thing. SB/pro/16, WSS, OPL2/dual/3, intelligent MPU401, CMS, Covox, DSS, Tandy and a MIDI synth of my own kind for some nice musicsounds. Maybe if there's room I will add compatibility layer to allow that synth core to be used by GUS compatible interface.

I will be studying some of the OPL3 implementations based on silicon itself (NukeYKT made amazing work there), I will be able to make something that will have perfect output. I already made such a thing with OPN2 (YM2612/3438, found in Mega Drives) in software so I know how the chip has to work and what is needed to make things happen.

Reply 258 of 339, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2021-01-29, 11:20:

It sorta aims to same general direction as the AudioLoca thing. SB/pro/16, WSS, OPL2/dual/3, intelligent MPU401, CMS, Covox, DSS, Tandy and a MIDI synth of my own kind for some nice musicsounds. Maybe if there's room I will add compatibility layer to allow that synth core to be used by GUS compatible interface.

I will be studying some of the OPL3 implementations based on silicon itself (NukeYKT made amazing work there), I will be able to make something that will have perfect output. I already made such a thing with OPN2 (YM2612/3438, found in Mega Drives) in software so I know how the chip has to work and what is needed to make things happen.

That is awesome! Available tomorrow right? JK, you should make a new thread for it and update your progress!

Reply 259 of 339, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll make fuzz about it when there actually is something tangible, and it'll take a while longer to achieve 🤣