VOGONS

Reply 14880 of 27412, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Worked on trying to repair some of the plastic damage to the FM-Townes computer. It's not going to be perfect but I'll be able to keep the thing mostly intact, though the CD-ROM door is mostly a lost cause. I can still have it there but it's never going to work as intended again.

Reply 14881 of 27412, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Corona is revealing otherwise hidden poverty. I've been asked by an acquaintance to revive an old laptop for his granddaughter of 8. A guy was asking 90 euro, which they can't afford. So I have spent all evening reviving a 2009 AMD x2 laptop. With Ubuntu on a 120GB transcend ssd, a thoroughly cleaned cooler and newly applied thermal paste halving the cpu's heat, they're good to go, without charges, obviously.

Reply 14882 of 27412, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Testing/repairing a couple of Acorn A4000s.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 14883 of 27412, by Lawnie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AlphaWing wrote on 2014-07-12, 17:54:
ElectricMonk wrote:
AlphaWing wrote:

I'd recommend Tiefighter for exclusive play... but thats just me. 😀

I can't wait to get that one working properly! I must've played it 3 times in a row, even with that crappy sound card that would "hang notes".

If LucasArts (now Disney) kept having to pump out Star Wars games, why not a TF2 or TF online?

Tiefighter II will never be

Based on the way the gaming industry has gone, I'm entirely okay with TIE Fighter never having a true sequel. I just hope the XWVM project does it justice to bring it into the modern age, because some of the screen tearing on LCD displays when running it through DOSbox is quite awful despite how wonderful the rest of the game is. It's still my favourite DOS game to date.

I know, I should have kept my CRT. I didn't know any better at the time.

GET OFF MY LAWN - Yet another retro PC game review channel.

Reply 14884 of 27412, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I did some more 286 tinkering, used DRIVPARM and some other utilities SETBPB35 B and while diagnostics see the drive as a 720K with the right sect/track info, I still cannot read or write anything to the floppy.

I'm getting pretty familiar with EDLIN at least. 😁

Youtube channel- The Kombinator
What's for sale? my eBay!

Reply 14885 of 27412, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
flupke11 wrote on 2020-04-22, 22:37:

Corona is revealing otherwise hidden poverty. I've been asked by an acquaintance to revive an old laptop for his granddaughter of 8. A guy was asking 90 euro, which they can't afford. So I have spent all evening reviving a 2009 AMD x2 laptop. With Ubuntu on a 120GB transcend ssd, a thoroughly cleaned cooler and newly applied thermal paste halving the cpu's heat, they're good to go, without charges, obviously.

90 Euros? I would have done it for a few beers and whatever parts I needed (if I had to buy them I mean). Hell that's what I did for my neighbour, he's the happy owner of a Dell Vostro now 😉

Reply 14886 of 27412, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2020-04-22, 15:33:

Oh, the joys of SCSI...
So it looks like I have two dead cables and/or terminators here, and I still don't know if the drive works 🙁
Unfortunately my other SCSI controllers are a bit exotic (one EISA, the other a combi SCSI+IDE controller that hangs any system with other IDE controller).

I have kept a few odd ISA and PCI SCSI adapters around for just such testing. Adaptec 2940u and UW are very inexpensive still (IF you keep your eye open on ebay or get one from a friend who just bought a big lot of cards) they are worth keeping one each for testing or backup.

Jed118 wrote on 2020-04-23, 01:33:

90 Euros? I would have done it for a few beers and whatever parts I needed (if I had to buy them I mean). Hell that's what I did for my neighbour, he's the happy owner of a Dell Vostro now 😉

Good jobs ! Great to hear about helping others.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 14887 of 27412, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hah, so the culprit was found!

It seems that the 720k drive would read disks DIR command-wise, I'm guessing that's on the outer track of the bottom of the diskette because I was fiddling with the top head alignment (after of course cleaning them both with alcohol) to see if I could get lucky (as I have a few times in the past) and I discovered that if you unplug the top head from the control board, you can still get a DIR listing. I think the head itself is damaged as it had scrape marks on the back side where it was touching the enclosure cover. There was a dent that hit the head and it looks like it was working like that for a while as there's a fairly pronounced sanding mark on both the top of the head mechanism and the bottom of the case enclosure. I bet some dust got all up ins and is screwing with the head somehow, but it's not made out of a ferric material.... I dunno, I'll put it on the shelf in the low priority pile, just gonna toss a 1.44Mb at the 286 and call it done.

Reply 14888 of 27412, by Mad_Wolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wiretap wrote on 2020-04-22, 19:36:
Got the Amiga 500 & 1084S-D2 monitor booted up on my test bench. Some functionality is there at least. I am going to make a Gote […]
Show full quote

Got the Amiga 500 & 1084S-D2 monitor booted up on my test bench. Some functionality is there at least. I am going to make a Gotek external floppy with a switch select so it can function as a boot floppy, and then I have to fix the monitor to get the green cathode ray functional again. Should just be a broken solder joint or a failed transistor. I have the repair manual, so it will just be a matter of working through the schematic. I currently don't have time to do that because I'm at work more than I'm home, so it will have to wait.

CTXcRcHh.jpg

There are very mint stuff at least the colours are 😀

Reply 14889 of 27412, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Installed the DX4-120 in the 486 I'm rebuilding from my childhood, however, the turbo switch isn't functioning correctly (display shows 40MHz with the turbo light off and 120MHz with the turbo light on) according to test I'm doing with NSSI to see how fast it goes with the turbo turned off.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 14890 of 27412, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Horun wrote on 2020-04-23, 02:16:
dionb wrote on 2020-04-22, 15:33:

Oh, the joys of SCSI...
So it looks like I have two dead cables and/or terminators here, and I still don't know if the drive works 🙁
Unfortunately my other SCSI controllers are a bit exotic (one EISA, the other a combi SCSI+IDE controller that hangs any system with other IDE controller).

I have kept a few odd ISA and PCI SCSI adapters around for just such testing. Adaptec 2940u and UW are very inexpensive still (IF you keep your eye open on ebay or get one from a friend who just bought a big lot of cards) they are worth keeping one each for testing or backup.

I actually have an Adaptec 2940U2W *somewhere*, but wherever it is, it's hiding from me at the moment. Also should have an AHA-1542 but it's also AWOL. This weekend I actually have a few days home alone (in-laws out sailing, partner & children are going 'on holiday' to their house), was already intending to get a new set of shelves in the computer room sorted. When I move things from haphazard piles to those shelves I might find all the stuff I'm missing - like the PAS16 i wanted to use in a new build...

Good jobs ! Great to hear about helping others.

Second that! Our skills are useful for more than just getting 30-year old games running 😀

Reply 14892 of 27412, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-04-23, 10:25:
I made this today: […]
Show full quote

I made this today:

Cr4Mqeg.jpg

you can find more details here

Incredibly amazing! Better than mine, which I improvised for an old Hackintosh and then abandoned for other reasons.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 14893 of 27412, by Jed118

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-04-23, 10:25:
I made this today: […]
Show full quote

I made this today:

Cr4Mqeg.jpg

you can find more details here

Haha I have a 10 inch CRT that would go perfectly with that, as well as a server tray mini keyboard 😉

Reply 14894 of 27412, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice case! Have contemplated doing a wooden case for ages, but never done it. You have 😀

Today working from home as usual, got kicked out of home office for a conf call, so had to do mine from the retro den. And if I was there anyway, I might as well do something with it. Turns out (surprise, surprise) my SE440BX-3 doesn't take too kindly to a Tualatin Celeron 1400A:

15876545395950.jpg
Filename
15876545395950.jpg
File size
58.01 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

(fortunately my product manager is as much a geek as I am, he loved watching me at it, while the project manager we were both dealing with was shaking his head at the kind of people he had to work with 😜 )

Also confirmed an Oak Technologies ISA card was working fine, as was a Celeron 466. That means I now have two matched pairs for my BP6, but with 533MHz and 466MHz neither is exactly overclocking material. Need to find some C300A/333A for that.

Reply 14895 of 27412, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Today I've spent hours trying to get SLI running with two Voodoo II's and it just doesn't work.
First I had just two of them: A Creative CT6670 and a PowerColor. Both of them work fine individually, but in SLI mode my screen just turns itself off and the computer locks up.

On the PowerColor I slightly twisted one of the chips when I tried to get a heatsink off - so I thought maybe that broke the SLI?

We all know where this is going - I bought a third Voodoo II. A Diamond Monster 3D.
Which has the same damn problem! No matter what combination of the three cards I use, no matter which PCI slots I use, the cards all work fine in single mode, but they fail in SLI mode.

So MAYBE both of my SLI cables are broken. I ordered two new ones now. If this doesn't work, I will sit in a corner and cry. Or buy another Voodoo.

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 14896 of 27412, by ragefury32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good news - the replacement t5720 motherboard arrived via UPS ground today, and it works. The thin client is back in operation.
Oddly enough, the working board has the green Sanyo capacitor replaced by a Chemicon KY...which is the exact capacitor that failed on my almost kaput t5720 board.

Bad news - the Jaton 338PCI-DX (nVidia Geforce 6200 PCI, 128MB version) in my possession (the one that used to be in my t5720) picked up some heat damage - artifacts on text mode/VGA and wouldn't load up with its drivers in WinXP or 98. This one needs to be replaced.

Ambivalent news - not sure if I should gun for another 338PCI-DX or go for the 338PCI-LX (the 256MB version). I don't think I want an FX5200 PCI card. I certainly don't want to throw much more money on the thin client than I already have...

Last edited by ragefury32 on 2020-04-24, 02:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14897 of 27412, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
schmatzler wrote on 2020-04-23, 21:05:
Today I've spent hours trying to get SLI running with two Voodoo II's and it just doesn't work. First I had just two of them: A […]
Show full quote

Today I've spent hours trying to get SLI running with two Voodoo II's and it just doesn't work.
First I had just two of them: A Creative CT6670 and a PowerColor. Both of them work fine individually, but in SLI mode my screen just turns itself off and the computer locks up.

On the PowerColor I slightly twisted one of the chips when I tried to get a heatsink off - so I thought maybe that broke the SLI?

We all know where this is going - I bought a third Voodoo II. A Diamond Monster 3D.
Which has the same damn problem! No matter what combination of the three cards I use, no matter which PCI slots I use, the cards all work fine in single mode, but they fail in SLI mode.

So MAYBE both of my SLI cables are broken. I ordered two new ones now. If this doesn't work, I will sit in a corner and cry. Or buy another Voodoo.

You are using the FastVoodoo drivers to get SLI working for mismatched Voodoo 2 cards right? Same vendor and model is (almost always) required for stock drivers.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 14898 of 27412, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2020-04-23, 21:20:

You are using the FastVoodoo drivers to get SLI working for mismatched Voodoo 2 cards right? Same vendor and model is (almost always) required for stock drivers.

Yes I am am using the FastVoodoo drivers and the control panel also tells me that SLI is detected.

Screen turns off on every game and PC locks up. I really hope it's just the damn cable. 😜

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 14899 of 27412, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
schmatzler wrote on 2020-04-23, 21:05:
Today I've spent hours trying to get SLI running with two Voodoo II's and it just doesn't work. First I had just two of them: A […]
Show full quote

You need to use the special drivers that allow you to match cards that are from different manufacturers , and even then i've still had troubles or weirdness.