VOGONS

Reply 20 of 36, by phinix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2020-04-21, 11:13:
On a system like that, for DOS games probably stick with a Sound Blaster, either an SB16 or an AWE32. If you can get your hands […]
Show full quote
phinix wrote on 2020-04-18, 00:13:

EDIT: got socket7 Pentium MMX 233, now trying to pick sound card...

On a system like that, for DOS games probably stick with a Sound Blaster, either an SB16 or an AWE32. If you can get your hands on a Gravis Ultrasound then a SB16 and a GUS in the same system makes a nice combo since you've pretty much covered all your bases.

In regards to double boot, rather than partitioning a hard drive, what's worked well for me is to use swapable Compact Flash cards. You can have a CF card with just DOS for DOS games and swap it with a CF card with Win98 installed. You can buy these IDE/CF adapters that allow you to choose to install in a floppy driver space or install it through a bracket in one of the rear slots.

https://www.techbuy.com.au/p/128817/I_OCARDS_ … cs/ADIDECFB.asp

I use one of these adapters to easily copy files to and from my CF cards on my main machine:

https://www.photechcomputers.com.au/photech-p … sd-hc-sdxc.html

Cool, so what size of cf card should I get for DOS? 2GB was max?
I could have like you said - one with pure DOS 6.22 and one for Windows 98se, maybe 32GB - should be enough for win and games.

Reply 21 of 36, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Depends on the game collection. Late DOS games and Windows 9x games already frequently came on multiple CDs. Install too many of these at once, and 32GB may not be enough. 64GB will give more breathing room.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 22 of 36, by phinix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote on 2020-04-21, 15:01:

Depends on the game collection. Late DOS games and Windows 9x games already frequently came on multiple CDs. Install too many of these at once, and 32GB may not be enough. 64GB will give more breathing room.

OK, thanks. and for pure DOS, 2GB is max, right?

Reply 23 of 36, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS 6.22 supports FAT16 only, so up to 2GB partitions, and a little under 8GB total.

The pure DOS of Win98 SE is only limited by the FAT32 limit. But Win98 SE will choke at over 137GB (I think there might be a patch for that).

I've been running my Win98 SE machine with an 80GB drive and never felt cramped, even though I have many DOS games, Windows games and also programs and media files.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 24 of 36, by The Sandman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you don't mind beeing time correct, I can only recommend a Athlon 64 setup based on a VIA Chipset. DOS (Win98)/XP is working perfectly fine with all drivers installed. SB16 Emulation works flawless with these chipsets. You can even go and use softsynthies with great soundfonts. By adding a GF6/Radeon X800 class GPU you will miss not a single thing. Demanding Games can be run with Anisotropic Filtering and AA for better image quality. I Can even emulate 3dFx with dgVoodoo. Problematic Dos games can be run with Dosbox.

Currently I'm running an Abit A8V with an Athlon 64 x2 4800+, 1-GB of Ram, GF6800 GT, SB-Live, 250-GB IDE HDD. No issues at all.
my 2 cents

Reply 25 of 36, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
phinix wrote on 2020-04-21, 14:16:
pan069 wrote on 2020-04-21, 11:13:
On a system like that, for DOS games probably stick with a Sound Blaster, either an SB16 or an AWE32. If you can get your hands […]
Show full quote
phinix wrote on 2020-04-18, 00:13:

EDIT: got socket7 Pentium MMX 233, now trying to pick sound card...

On a system like that, for DOS games probably stick with a Sound Blaster, either an SB16 or an AWE32. If you can get your hands on a Gravis Ultrasound then a SB16 and a GUS in the same system makes a nice combo since you've pretty much covered all your bases.

In regards to double boot, rather than partitioning a hard drive, what's worked well for me is to use swapable Compact Flash cards. You can have a CF card with just DOS for DOS games and swap it with a CF card with Win98 installed. You can buy these IDE/CF adapters that allow you to choose to install in a floppy driver space or install it through a bracket in one of the rear slots.

https://www.techbuy.com.au/p/128817/I_OCARDS_ … cs/ADIDECFB.asp

I use one of these adapters to easily copy files to and from my CF cards on my main machine:

https://www.photechcomputers.com.au/photech-p … sd-hc-sdxc.html

Cool, so what size of cf card should I get for DOS? 2GB was max?
I could have like you said - one with pure DOS 6.22 and one for Windows 98se, maybe 32GB - should be enough for win and games.

DOS supports up the 2GB if I'm not mistaken. Win98 can go larger with FAT32 but you should check what your BIOS supports as well. You can always format larger CF card for less capacity. I.e. get 32GB cards and format one for 2GB for DOS. You might also be able to partition the CF cards so that e.g. for DOS you can have 2x 2GB partitions on a single card. You probably need to experiment a bit.

Reply 27 of 36, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
phinix wrote on 2020-04-23, 11:11:

Does USB/MIR ports work ok under pure DOS?
My Asus mobo has this USB/MIR slots - is it working straight away under DOS? If I plug in USB mouse for example?

A moment of searching turns up USB DOS Drivers .

There are also DOS drivers for USB mass storage devices. USB keyboard support may require a setting in your computer's BIOS.

Reply 28 of 36, by phinix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-04-23, 16:36:
phinix wrote on 2020-04-23, 11:11:

Does USB/MIR ports work ok under pure DOS?
My Asus mobo has this USB/MIR slots - is it working straight away under DOS? If I plug in USB mouse for example?

A moment of searching turns up USB DOS Drivers .

There are also DOS drivers for USB mass storage devices. USB keyboard support may require a setting in your computer's BIOS.

Cool, thanks.

Reply 31 of 36, by phinix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
toastdieb wrote on 2020-05-23, 17:59:

I suppose one could simply format it as FAT16 and then copy the files over.

I would probably install it in the machine and format/install DOS from FDD like a normal hdd myself

Sure, but I do not have DOS floppies...

Reply 32 of 36, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool:
http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hp_usb_ … ormat_tool.html

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 33 of 36, by phinix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, so I'm trying to install DOS via VirtualBox, have my CF card in usb reader, all set up and when VM goes to installation screen where I should press ENTER, I cannot:(

It doesn't let me press ENTER, other keys work ok, like F1 for help, F5 for turno off color etc

What the hell?

Clipboard01.jpg
Filename
Clipboard01.jpg
File size
75.24 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 34 of 36, by phinix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guys, I managed to get it all installed.

Now I bought the case of my dreams:)
Thing is, I don't know how to mount drives in it - it has those weird rails with no screw holes - I have a feeling like something is missing in it.

Take a look - do you know how to mount drives in there?

20210328_182957.jpg
Filename
20210328_182957.jpg
File size
155.03 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20210328_183013.jpg
Filename
20210328_183013.jpg
File size
233.34 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 36 of 36, by phinix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2021-03-28, 19:43:
phinix wrote on 2021-03-28, 18:24:

Take a look - do you know how to mount drives in there?

You need "drive rails", just google it. Might not be easy to find them for your specific case though.

Ah, I knew something was missing...

Thanks for confirming.

Now back to search - anyone has any of drive rails from that period? Maybe those were kinda standardised and any could fit?