VOGONS

First post, by Pragmasaurus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a weird issue running two games- Kidpix, and Sesame Street Crayon. I wrote a batch menu to quickly select games, and when I run Kidpix, exit back to the batch menu, and then run Sesame, I get the message "Divide Error" and it crashes. If I run them one after the other just by typing in the dosbox prompt, no crash. If I just run Sesame, whether from the batch or from the prompt, no crash. If I run Kidpix through the batch file, exit the batch file, and run Sesame through the dosbox prompt, it crashes.

I realize this is a very specific set of circumstances, but does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Things I have tried:
- Using "call" in the batch file to run the EXEs
- Slowing down cycles in case the "divide error" was from a timing loop
- Using the freedos "SLEEP" command between games

I'm running Dosbox 0.74-3, and here's my config:

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper-0.74-3.map
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
language=
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
memsize=16

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=fixed 38000
cycleup=10
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=44100
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=25

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=default
midiconfig=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=44100

[gus]
gus=false
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=44100
tandy=auto
tandyrate=44100
disney=true

[joystick]
joysticktype=auto
timed=true
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=false

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=auto

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]

Config File

Reply 3 of 9, by Pragmasaurus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually while we're here, I have another issue when running one game after another. After running a CD-ROM game in Windows 3.1 (Wiggins in Storyland), and then returning to the DOS prompt, there are a bunch of DOS games that lose audio. I checked the mixer and it looks like Wiggins adds CDAUDIO (or, mounting the CD probably does) and turns SB and FM down to 58/100. I tried boosting these back up to 100 and turning CDAUDIO down to zero, but the DOS games still have missing audio. There's no way a game could be changing any of the audio configs right? Other than the mixer I'm not sure what else to check.

Reply 4 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The volume can indeed be changed by software through the SB mixer, and using an sbmixer=false setting prevents it. However, you have to just try it and see if the result is preferable, because a game could be using the volume control for fades or intentional silencing, and you'll lose that kind of thing.

Reply 5 of 9, by Pragmasaurus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But the mixer probably isn't the issue, since the audio was still missing when I manually set it back to 100. When I said the game can't change audio configs, I meant the audio settings in dosbox.conf. But if it's not the mixer, and it's not the config, I'm not sure what else audio-related could be changing after the game is run.

Reply 7 of 9, by Pragmasaurus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, sorry I should have been clear: I reset the mixer in between running the two games, so I wouldn't expect the first game to have any further effect on the mixer (unless there's something other than volume level at play that I can't see).
Here's an approximation of the sequence:

mixer
MASTER 100:100
SPKR 100:100
SB 100:100
FM 100:100

game2.exe
(game 2 runs fine)

imgmount d C:\dosbox\game1.cue -t iso -fs iso
win C:\runexit\runexit.exe C:\game1\game1.exe
(game 1 runs fine)

game2.exe
(game2 has no sound)

mixer
MASTER 100:100
SPKR 100:100
CDAUDIO: 100:100
SB 58:58
FM 58:58

mixer SB 100
mixer FM 100

game2.exe
(game2 has no sound)

Reply 8 of 9, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well, it seems game1 is, beyond altering volume, leaving the SB in a problematic state. Do try an SVN build, as some fixes were made. Also, maybe changing the SB type to what it already is can help because it causes a reset (i.e. "sbtype=sb16" as a command between games).

Reply 9 of 9, by Pragmasaurus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-04-23, 21:01:

Also, maybe changing the SB type to what it already is can help because it causes a reset (i.e. "sbtype=sb16" as a command between games).

This did the trick! Thank you for your help and for being patient with me.

And thanks in general for your work on Dosbox and your presence in these forums. For every issue I post about here there's 10 others that I find the answer for on a years-old Vogons thread and you usually have something to do with it 😁