VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by brock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the story goes like this...

I took a break from tie fighter and was playing warlords(in full screen baby!), which is sooooo awesome and my hand hurt and my eyes were strained and the days went by and my empire kept expanding and I was on facebook and reading the news on the browser and I was alt-tabbing like a madman, baby! back and forth from dosbox to browser and all of a sudden the screen went black! panic!

So I rebooted and the screen seemed normal until the login screen appeared. Just as I was getting ready to enter my login info, the screen went black again. PANIC! My business is on this thing!

So I shined a flashlight to the screen and everything was there(data secure), but the backlight appeared to be off.

The really strange thing is that the only way I have discovered to get the screen back is to run dosbox again and tab in and out of full screen mode. If I do this, the screen comes back for a couple seconds and then off again. If I keep alt-tabbing, I can get the screen to turn on and off. No need to run a game, dosbox alone does it.

Is it possible that dosbox broke my backlight software? And how to fix?

Running dosbox on Lenovo 3000 N200, Intel crap graphics, ssd, 4ram, linux mint 18.xx sonya(I think, hard to confirm with a flashlight)
screen brightness buttons do not seem to do anything...

Reply 1 of 7, by brock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

slight update

If the laptop goes to sleep or hibernates or something and then comes back on the screen will illuminate for a couple seconds before again returning to black.
I have futzed with the power saving stuff, but can't seem to get it normalized.

Reply 3 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I donno, DOSBox gets more powerful every year. May become a OS in it's own right in a couple of years 😉

Seriously though sounds like changing the screen resolution kicks the backlight on for a second.
As soon as you turn the laptop on from cold (not hibernation) hit F1 like crazy to enter BIOS. If the backlight still only lasts a second it's definitely a hardware issue.

Reply 4 of 7, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sounds like the display cable might be damaged. I recently replaced the cable on my laptop when the backlight would stop working if I moved the display lid even a little (and eventually it stopped working completely).

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 5 of 7, by brock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote on 2020-04-24, 06:58:

Doubt it. DOSBox doesn't have drivers or something like that touch things.

You are a dosbox developer! You are a GOD!

Thanks for helping me eliminate dosbox as the issue. Really, a fine program, by the way.

Reply 6 of 7, by brock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2020-04-24, 09:10:

I donno, DOSBox gets more powerful every year. May become a OS in it's own right in a couple of years 😉

Seriously though sounds like changing the screen resolution kicks the backlight on for a second.
As soon as you turn the laptop on from cold (not hibernation) hit F1 like crazy to enter BIOS. If the backlight still only lasts a second it's definitely a hardware issue.

Confirmed bios has same problem so hardware problem. I figure backlight or cable. Now I get to take it apart! probably needs a cleaning anyway.

Reply 7 of 7, by brock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zirkoni wrote on 2020-04-24, 12:56:

Sounds like the display cable might be damaged. I recently replaced the cable on my laptop when the backlight would stop working if I moved the display lid even a little (and eventually it stopped working completely).

I figure either the display cable or the backlight. Thanks for your reply! I'll try to post the resolution, if I remember!

Now I gotta get this fixed so I can play more ancient games!

Have a great day everyone!