VOGONS

Working on a water cooled Athlon system.

Topic actions

First post, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

> FX5200ultra

Can u post a pic of this?

Reply 1 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 4-26-20.

I got a case. Noting fancy, but I'll have to mod the crap out of it to make it work as its and AT case. Lucky me I have the tools and sheet metal to mod it.
It also has a socket 5 system in it witch I'll have to re-home or scrap, I'll deal with that at a latter date.

Last edited by Snover on 2021-01-29, 01:39. Edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Restoring revision 36049

Reply 4 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gdjacobs wrote on 2020-04-27, 04:31:

Two fake floppies? Twice the goodness?

And oddly enough the real drive uses a 5.25 drive calbe.
But If I have the room I'll put two floppy drives in the system.

Reason: Restoring revision 36051

Reply 5 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 4-28-20

I received the evercool radiators today. Not to bad for old mid range rads. I removed the junk stock fans and put some better old led fans from back in the day on them. They’re so old the led’s are hot glued onto the fan. 
I also cut some tubing for the NB and gpu block. 

Reason: Restoring revision 36052

Reply 7 of 64, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hm i would not destroy the AT Tower for that, get a nice Period Correct Chieftec and you have enough Space to fit everything!

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 8 of 64, by Tali

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I second @matze79's opinion. If you must go semi-retro, do so in a modern case. With all that copper and all those pipes, you could make a killer steampunk machine, actually. And you don't need to wreck a classic tower for that.

Reply 9 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The case will be properly converted to ATX and not destroy or wrecked. I find those commits somewhat insulting considering my sheet metal work skill level. Once done most no one would be able to tell it was ever an AT case.

Last edited by Snover on 2021-01-29, 01:40. Edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Restoring revision 36053

Reply 10 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 4-30-20.

I got the PSU last night, sadly it was dead. Not only that but I came from a smokers home and was full of tar.
I did take a peek inside and found that the DC output caps were vented quite badly. Not on;y that but they were well know fake caps from back in the day. I replaced them but it was not enough to fix it. I only paid $10 for it so no biggy. It will be kept for parts.
I bought a NOS PcPower&cooling Turbo cool PSU. A little new for the system, but it still has a good 5v rail and still has 5v on the off chance I find a board with ISA.

Last edited by Snover on 2021-01-29, 01:40. Edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Restoring revision 36054

Reply 11 of 64, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
austinham wrote on 2020-04-29, 23:15:

The case will be properly converted to ATX and not destroy or wrecked. I find those commits somewhat insulting considering my sheet metal work skill level. Once done most no one would be able to tell it was ever an AT case.

I don't think any insult was meant here. It's just that such huge AT towers nowadays are hard to come by. Keep the socket 5, you'll love it one day.

But it's your case, so your prerogative 😊

Reply 12 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
flupke11 wrote on 2020-04-30, 13:03:
austinham wrote on 2020-04-29, 23:15:

I don't think any insult was meant here. It's just that such huge AT towers nowadays are hard to come by. Keep the socket 5, you'll love it one day.

But it's your case, so your prerogative 😊

I realized that no one was meaning to insult me. Its just that the wording left me someone offended.
Not that big AT cases are hard to find. They are everywhere on ebay, new even. Bigger ATX cases can fit most AT boards too.
As for the socket 5 system, no way I'm keeping all of it. There really is no point in it today with socket 7 supporting the same CPU's. But I will be keeping a few parts from it. Like the Sound Blaster 16 on the off chance I find a really good SK370 or SK462 board with an ISA slot and support for latter CPU's like the Piii-s or batons.

Reply 13 of 64, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey i really don't want to piss you off 😀

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 14 of 64, by cde

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
austinham wrote on 2020-04-22, 17:57:

It all started a few years back when I put a 980ti in my gaming system, long story short I hated that card as it did not like some of the early DX3d games I play.

Very cool build! Out of curiosity, which games were giving you trouble with the 980 Ti?

Reply 15 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
cde wrote on 2020-04-30, 14:43:
austinham wrote on 2020-04-22, 17:57:

It all started a few years back when I put a 980ti in my gaming system, long story short I hated that card as it did not like some of the early DX3d games I play.

Very cool build! Out of curiosity, which games were giving you trouble with the 980 Ti?

Quite a few. Its been a wile since I had the card but resident evil 1 and 2, dark forces 2, populous the beginning, and silent hill 2 were the main games I play that did not work.
Etch of the games listed ran in software mode to some extant but had problems in 3d. There were others too but I can't recall the games.

Last edited by austinham on 2020-04-30, 15:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 16 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
matze79 wrote on 2020-04-30, 14:38:

Hey i really don't want to piss you off 😀

Nah, you're cool. Once I get the case I can start planing the mods. It all hinges on how the case is put together.
I'm hoping the case has a outer shell that the motherboard and I/O panel rivet into. The case looks like its built that way but I can't be sure until I get it.
I love it when the corners of a case are made with angle iron and have the planes riveted to them, it makes modding so much easier and without having to cut up the case witch is always a plus.

Reply 17 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 4-30-20 part 2.

I got the raptor drives today. I don't think I'll need to water cool them, but they do run on the warmer side so they will need some cooling. I also removed the stock fittings on one of the 80mm rads. I'll be putting 3/8" fittings on it for my CPU loop. The fittings were soldered on so removing them took some work with a torch, Luckily my soldering iron doubles as a butane torch! I may use a second 80mm rad in my CPU loop too, I'm not sure yet.

Reply 18 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-1-20

I bought a few 3.5" hdd to 5.25" bay adapters just in case I needed more room for the rads in the case.
I also snagged up a nice antec Easy USB bay device. its rather nice as it adds 2 frond USB ports to a older case wile still be able to use the bay for a 3.5" device like a hdd or FDD drive, maybe I can find a old fan controller to put in it.
This will be the last update for a wile as I'm waiting on the case

Reply 19 of 64, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The build as it stands 5-6-20.
I got the case and PSU last night. The turbo cool 510w PSU is about as heavy as my FPS 1200w PSU. Its very well built. My only compliant is that it lacks 24pin ATX and PCIE power. However in 2003 those were not things . I was thinking of upgrading the system to a 939 setup down the road if the SBlive dose well for the dos game I play.
The case is rather nice, build in a way I can easily convert it to ATX. The air flow setup in the case is rather odd. The vents on the front bezel of the case do not line vents behind the bezel. I'll have to fix that.
The system that was in it was actually a socket 7 system. Nothing much, whoever built it was likely going for stability. Other then the SB16 and motherboard there really was nothing worth talking about. The board was a old Asus board but had a handful of damaged traces. I trashed/recycled everything but the SB, cables, CD and floppy drive.

I'll post photos latter today.