Common searches

Welcome to the updated VOGONS

Topic actions

Reply 620 of 743, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well.. if it is transparent, then the only way to make it look right on this forum without an actual fix or without using Stylus is to make it not transparent... And then if the background on the forum is changed and the user wants it to have the same background as the forum, they have to edit it again.

That is over-complicating things for the users and is bad practice.. plain and simple.

As for a ONE LINE CHANGE to the CSS that doesn't totally screw up transparent avatars is to change:

@media screen and (min-width: 0)
.post_user .avatar {
display: block;
filter: drop-shadow(-.1875rem .1875rem 0 #446);
}

To this:

@media screen and (min-width: 0)
.post_user .avatar {
display: block;
filter: drop-shadow(-.1875rem .1875rem 6px #446);
}

That still gives you a drop shadow, but it is blurred and doesn't screw up transparent avatars.

You can also override the setting on the forum by adding this to Stylus:

.post_user .avatar {
filter: drop-shadow(-.1875rem .1875rem 6px #446);
}

This is for the classic theme.

The third parameter is the blur amount. With the current setting on the forum, it doesn't blur at all which is what makes the hard lines and makes the transparent avatars look really bad.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 621 of 743, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Is there a way to see the list of smilies\emojis? I can never figure out how to trigger them and the little selection box that comes up some times only shows really obscure ones, like these...

🦺🥼 💃 🧮 🇶🇦 🌾 🐰 🏓 🧶 🈹 🇾🇪 🇶🇦 🈷️

And what's with all the Chinese symbols?

(At least I think that's Chinese)

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 622 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-05-08, 02:59:
Is there a way to see the list of smilies\emojis? I can never figure out how to trigger them and the little selection box that c […]
Show full quote

Is there a way to see the list of smilies\emojis? I can never figure out how to trigger them and the little selection box that comes up some times only shows really obscure ones, like these...

Are you using macOS or Windows?

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 623 of 743, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-08, 03:05:
Is there a way to see the list of smilies\emojis? I can never figure out how to trigger them and the little selection box that c […]
Show full quote

Windows. Running Firefox 76.0.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 624 of 743, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-05-08, 03:20:
Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-08, 03:05:
Show full quote

Windows. Running Firefox 76.0.

Same here.

Reply 625 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Press the Windows key and the dot key (.) simultaneously. This will open up the emoji picker.

If it doesn't, you might need to enable it:
https://winaero.com/blog/enable-emoji-picker-windows-10/

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 626 of 743, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schmatzler wrote on 2020-05-08, 23:47:

Press the Windows key and the dot key (.) simultaneously. This will open up the emoji picker.

If it doesn't, you might need to enable it:
https://winaero.com/blog/enable-emoji-picker-windows-10/

But what about us that don't have a windows key on our keyboards or are not running 10?

Reply 627 of 743, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm sure there are solutions, you just need to google them.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 628 of 743, by schmatzler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
austinham wrote on 2020-05-13, 14:33:

But what about us that don't have a windows key on our keyboards or are not running 10?

- If you're still on Windows 7, you need to update anyway, because support has ended.
- If you're still on Windows 8/8.1 you really love pain and you can't be helped anyway.
- If your keyboard doesn't have a Windows key, you can use registry hacks or layout programs to remap a different key to it:
https://superuser.com/questions/333445/simula … an-old-keyboard

"Windows 98's natural state is locked up"

Reply 629 of 743, by Paralel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote on 2020-05-13, 15:56:

I'm sure there are solutions, you just need to google them.

He does make an excellent point though about a site having certain inherent functionality that has become an expected standard of forum software.

Reply 630 of 743, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If the site is "expected" to have an emoji picker, it's fair enough to "expect" the users to have a Windows key which has been standard since 1995. Come on!

AFAIK the emojis are all implimented as unicode anyway, so just search for "Unicode list of emojis and you can copy + paste them in. 🦨💩🤯🤦‍♂️💀

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 631 of 743, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xjas wrote on 2020-05-13, 19:53:

If the site is "expected" to have an emoji picker, it's fair enough to "expect" the users to have a Windows key which has been standard since 1995. Come on!

We also have lots of other keys, such as "[", "]", and all those wonderful alphanumerics, so we can type our own BBCode too. Hypothetically speaking, if the BBCode shortcut buttons were removed from the post editor, and someone dared to point out that they expect them to be there - simply because phpBB has worked that way for 20 years - I'm sure you guys would be at the ready with the unnecessary snark. Right?

I don't really care either way, mind you, but I too was completely unaware that Windows had an emoji picker. The only places where I typically need to use them have their own pickers, like the Whatsapp desktop client or whatever. Imagine that, when they just could've told their users to "google it". 🤯

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 632 of 743, by austinham

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm using a 75% keyboard. And how many folks here are using a model M keyboard here?

schmatzler wrote on 2020-05-13, 16:57:

- If you're still on Windows 7, you need to update anyway, because support has ended.

U+1F644

AFAIK the emojis are all implimented as unicode anyway, so just search for "Unicode list of emojis and you can copy + paste them in. 🦨💩🤯🤦‍♂️💀

Ops, posting the code in does not work. who would have known...

Reply 633 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Why use emojis? I am retro.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 634 of 743, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
austinham wrote on 2020-05-13, 22:18:

U+1F644

Ops, posting the code in does not work. who would have known...

You don't paste "the code" in, you roll your mouse over the emoji you want (as in, the little graphic) and copy + paste that, which is what I did on the line above. They are literally part of the font. Why do you think I would make that post if it didn't work?

For the record I'm using a 1st-gen Kinesis Advantage Classic, which doesn't have "Windows" (/"Super") keys by default either (I've mapped it to right Ctrl, but mostly for Mac OS/X use.) There are tons of workarounds out there. (I'm also not posting on Windows 10, so I don't have the emoji picker either, but if I need one that can't simply be typed with a colon+bracket combo I do what I said above. No need to add unnecessary forum bloat for it.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 635 of 743, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can simply do a 90's like emoji

:-)

and get away with an updated version. Simple as that!

😀

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 636 of 743, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

emoticons always carried a certain emotion in forums and the old pixely look fit well for vogons, it's also very convenient having just a few of them which keeps everything tidy and in the same theme.

the unicode emojis not only look like absolute garbage (ok that's my personal opinion :p) but they look different on every OS and device and just have no "soul" at all and there is just too many of them.

sure, tell me "you just don't like new things" if you want... but yes, I don't like it :p and I won't be using them, and I'm still looking for a way to turn them off in the browser altogether because they are just annoying on numerous other websites as well.

Reply 637 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is there no signature image height limit? There should be, really.. Some signatures have absurdly large or tall images. Check out bloodem 's signature for example, it's jarring..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 638 of 743, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2020-05-15, 21:27:

Is there no signature image height limit? There should be, really.. Some signatures have absurdly large or tall images. Check out bloodem 's signature for example, it's jarring..

Is there any real reason to not disable signature display?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 639 of 743, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr_st wrote on 2020-05-16, 08:30:
appiah4 wrote on 2020-05-15, 21:27:

Is there any real reason to not disable signature display?

Yes, because it actually does contain a lot of very useful things in many cases. Take a look at Tiido's signature for example.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.