VOGONS Driver Library

Topic actions

Reply 860 of 1466, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-08, 18:14:

It works fine on my side. Which files are you having problems with?

Weird. None of the downloads are working for me. I've tried 15 at random and none work.

Try this:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1 … 3&menustate=0,0

I just tried Chrome and Firefox, both give an error 503. Tried disabling AdBlock Plus too. No change.

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 861 of 1466, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ozzuneoj wrote on 2020-05-08, 18:20:
Weird. None of the downloads are working for me. I've tried 15 at random and none work. […]
Show full quote

Weird. None of the downloads are working for me. I've tried 15 at random and none work.

Try this:
http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1 … 3&menustate=0,0

I just tried Chrome and Firefox, both give an error 503. Tried disabling AdBlock Plus too. No change.

It worked, I have the mediavision zip on my local drive. Maybe try switching browsers. Something may be fuzzy with the cookies.

Also try on other devices, even your phone.

Reply 863 of 1466, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It doesn't work on Firefox or Chrome on my Windows 10 PC. I tried rebooting, still no change.

I also tried Firefox and Chrome on my Android phone, no difference.

It immediately gives an error 503 in Chrome... it doesn't act like it is doing anything at all.

Reply 865 of 1466, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just tried resetting my modem and router in case it was some odd networking issue that's beyond my understanding...

No difference.

I'm in PA, USA. I wonder if anyone else in this part of the world\country is having the same issue?

It figures, I was trying to test the last few cards out of a bunch that have been accumulating here before moving on to another project and all the drivers I need are perfectly organized and labeled on vogons.

EDIT: Aanndd..... 3:24PM EST it is now working fine.

Reply 866 of 1466, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found a driver CD of a Matrox Millenium II card recently. I don't own such a card so I wanted to throw it out but since I think software preservation is important, I wanted to upload it to Vogons Drivers.

This wasn't as easy as it sounds though. You can't create an account there and only request one through PM.. which I can't since the Vogons Forums prohibit the use of PM for users with a low post count. Good job on throwing up a lot of hurdles to make software preservation a hard job, I guess.

So I resorted to uploading it to my G-Drive. Maybe someone who is considered "cool" enough for these Forums can upload it to the Library then.

Matrox Millenium II ISO (549mb)

kRpo8Jc.jpg?1

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 867 of 1466, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hezus wrote on 2020-05-09, 09:41:

This wasn't as easy as it sounds though. You can't create an account there and only request one through PM.. which I can't since the Vogons Forums prohibit the use of PM for users with a low post count. Good job on throwing up a lot of hurdles to make software preservation a hard job, I guess.

Yeah the PM limitation is a little irritating. The driver site is owned and run separately, and upload accounts are generally assigned to well known members - and even then the hosting has size limits. So posting here as you've done is the best way to go, and if it's a good candidate, one of the uploaders will get it onto the driver site 😀

If you're willing to upload a second time, archive.org is a fantastic place for full CD images like this (if it's not there already).

Reply 868 of 1466, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good job on throwing up a lot of hurdles to make software preservation a hard job, I guess.

That's a bit unfair.

I explain in the first post why it's done the way it is.

It's not for the sake of being obstinate or elitist, it's purely a practical decision to minimise my administrative overhead.

There also isn't a hard file size limit, I am just wishing to avoid gigabyte+ size files for the time being, until there a hosting solution with more storage is in place.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 869 of 1466, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote on 2020-05-09, 15:38:

Good job on throwing up a lot of hurdles to make software preservation a hard job, I guess.

That's a bit unfair.

Agree ! The method to gain access is totally fair. Hezus you have been a member here for a year and only posted 18 times ? wut up with dat ? 🤣

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 870 of 1466, by ram1009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote on 2011-12-13, 23:05:
Thought I'd create a new dedicated thread for the site, rather than keep hijacking Malik's drivers thread. […]
Show full quote

Thought I'd create a new dedicated thread for the site, rather than keep hijacking Malik's drivers thread.

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com

Edit (18-Feb-2020): Three things I want to get off my chest. (Don't worry, it's not bad!!)

First thing: I've never wanted to list out explicitly what types of drivers are and are not allowed on the site.

That said, I think there's a theme on VOGONS of retro gaming, fixing old computers, and poking at obscure things, and I'd like for VOGONSDrivers to be in a similar spirit.

In the 8+ years of the site existing, I've deleted exactly 3 drivers that didn't fit. Two drivers for modern Samsung USB Laser Printers, and one for a brand new USB scanner. Ideally it stays this way, and I'm confident it will, because you all "get it".

If you're new, and you want to contribute, that's awesome, just please look at what you have to upload with a critical eye, and make sure it "fits" before you upload (and that it doesn't already exist).

Which leads into the second thing:

If you're new, and you want to contribute, I only ask that you participate in the VOGONS community for a while first, before you ask for credentials. Spamming one-word replies to build your post-count is obvious, just don't. 😀

If you don't want an account, and just have a file or two to contribute, please continue to post in the thread. It might take me a while, but I try to pick up new drivers and upload them every now and then. Another helpful member might upload it for you before I do, as well! Please don't delete your files from mega/drive/dropbox because I took too long, I have a lot on my plate, and not enough fortitude to handle it all at once. I'll get to it eventually, I promise.

Finally, I can't express how much VOGONS has been like a home to me over the years, and for that reason, VOGONSDrivers will NEVER be pay-to-access, or have premium paywalled features or content. Never ever. Thank you all so much. Special thanks to the members who have been making regular contributions, uploading files posted in the thread, and doing edits on the site! Stay awesome.

What you can do:

- Driver keyword search
- Browse drivers by category
- Update the title, description, and category for existing drivers
- Attach images to drivers (up to ~1MB, 800x800px max)
- Remove attached images
- Upload your own driver files up to ~30MB by using a web form.
- Upload your own driver files over 30MB by FTP
- Flag files for scheduled deletion
- $allowed_driver_extensions = array("zip","rar","7z","iso","bin","arj","lha","lzh","pdf");

What's coming soon:

- Adding and changing categories

What you can't do:

- Change the name of the uploader directly (but if you edit a file, the "Updated by" field updates)
- Upload a new driver with the same file name as an existing driver

This is the thread to request features, report bugs, or just let me know what you think.

I'm taking a break from coding for the site till this coming weekend. It's consumed my after-work-time for the last few weeks, and the other half isn't such a fan of that! 😉

UPDATE 7 June 2016: The sites are not connected. Your forum login will not work on Vogonsdrivers. If you want access to the drivers site, hit me up and I'll create an account.

I WILL NOT CREATE ACCOUNTS FOR PEOPLE WITH ZERO OR JUST A COUPLE OF POSTS. PLEASE DON'T ASK. HAVING TO SAY "NO" DOESN'T FEEL VERY NICE. 😢

If you have a file or two to contribute, put it somewhere public (mega.co.nz, Dropbox, Google Drive, whatever) and post the link in this thread along with some details and a photo/image if you have one. Either myself or one of the rad people here will gladly upload the file if it's suitable.

-----------
Change log:

2020-04-08
========
- Added some anti-DoS measures and other bug fixes.

2016-06-20
========
- Added minimalist HTML 2.0 version for low-powered/ancient devices and browsers: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/lofi/

2014-05-15
========
- JavaScript menu is now live. If JS is disabled, or a JS-unfriendly browser is used, the classic menu will still appear.
- Added SCSI/Storage and Networking categories.

2014-05-13
========
- Fixed "Added" date and time from word-wrapping to three lines in some instances.
- Fixed (removed) bounding boxes on JavaScript folding category menu pilot ( http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/index2.php ).
- Increased font size of category menu by 2px.

2014-05-07
========
- Added a checkbox to the file edit form to flag files for deletion.
- Flagged files will be cleaned up by a monthly cron job.

2013-04-14
========
- Fixed a bug that enabled an SQL injection attack
- Added PDF to allowed file types
- Global password resets

2012-07-25
========
- Enabled the and tags in file descriptions
- Now require users to be logged in to edit file information
- Captcha is no longer used to edit file information
- For images to display, file info must be edited by the same person that uploaded it (Trial feature, as per elianda's suggestion, if it gets to annoying I can turn it off in a few minutes)
- The person that last edited the file is now shown in the file info.

What's coming:
- Automatic thumbnailing of large images

2012-06-27
========
- Fixed a bug that was causing the FTP login feature to not work.

2012-03-29
========
- Added a rudimentary keyword search feature
-- Searches file title, filename, and description fields
-- Supports some boolean features:

apple bee carrot - Will find entries that contain all of these words"

apple bee -carrot - Will find entries that contain 'apple' and 'bee', but exclude results that contain 'carrot'.

apple bee <carrot - Will find entries that contain 'apple' and 'bee', and optionally 'carrot', ranking those results lower

apple bee >carrot - Will find entries that contain 'apple' and 'bee', and optionally 'carrot', ranking those results higher.

apple bee* - Will find entries that contain 'apple' and words beginning with 'bee*' For example 'bees' 'beet' 'beef' etc

apple "beef pie" - Will find entries that contain 'apple' and also the exact phrase "beef pie"

-- To get the maximum benefit from this feature, it would be good for anybody who's uploaded stuff to go through and make sure there are some details in the "description" field. Model numbers and that kind of details would be just awesome, if you happen to own those devices.

2012-02-09
========
- Added a reminder on the upload form about the permitted extensions. (This wasn't actually mentioned on the site anywhere, only in this thread!)
- Driver entries will now show if they've been updated since the file was uploaded. Entries that haven't been edited will show NA in this field.
- Just for information, the dates and times shown on the site are United States central time, GMT-6 (or -5 during daylight saving)

2012-02-09
========
- FTP uploads are now unticked by default on the "Process FTP Uploads" screen. It's a good idea to verify each one has the correct size before hitting "Submit"
- FTP uploads that remain unticked when you click "Submit" will now be deleted. This will also apply to files showing the "FILE ALREADY EXISTS" or "INVALID EXTENSION" errors. If you want to rename a file before having it processed, you can do so through your FTP client.
- Fixed a bug causing image uploads through the "edit" interface to be named incorrectly. Image uploading should now work correctly.
- Added some diagnostic information to the HTTP 403 error screen.

2012-01-12
==========
- Added a statement on "fair use".
- Added some measures to prevent HTTPS links from appearing in search engines.

2012-01-10
==========
- FTP Upload Processing now has the same BBCode editor available as the single file upload and file editing interfaces.

2012-01-07
==========
- Home page now shows 20 most recently uploaded files, instead of a flat list of every file. This should make it load faster as we add more drivers!

- Beta FTP functionality is available. I'm looking for testers!

- Removed the category links from the "You are now logged in" page, as clicking them would cause you to have to log in again, and left a stale login token in the database.

2011-12-22
==========
- Set post_max_size to 32M in php.ini. This should stop the "Invalid file extension" error for files over 8MB.

- Added a JavaScript check for file size to the upload form (doesn't stop you uploading, it just gives you a red warning if the file you chose is too big) Supported on Chrome and Firefox. Doesn't seem to work on Safari or Internet Explorer. I'm looking for an alternative that's more accommodating.

- Usernames and Passwords have been sent to everybody that has uploaded or contributed a file. If these accounts don't work, PM me. If you want to change your password, hang tight, that facility is on the way.

2011-12-19
==========
- You are now required to log in to upload files, and reCAPTCHA has been removed.
-- I have created accounts for anybody who has uploaded files so far, PM me for the passwords.
-- There is currently no interface to create accounts, I'd like to discuss further how to moderate the system before I implement that.
-- If you have a driver to contribute but don't have an account, leave a note in this thread, and I or one of the people with accounts should be able to help.
-- Your username and password are transmitted by SSL. However, since this is shared hosting and not dedicated, the URL appears differently for the HTTPS portion of the exchange. The HTTPS URL will begin with https://secure6.mylha.com/~ybkxdrnm It is the same site, no viruses or anything, just that having a dedicated IP doubles the price of the hosting!
-- You will need cookies enabled to make use of this function.
-- As always, let me know if there are issues.

- Fixed a bug where the file size wasn't being detected in some instances.

Initial Release
===============
What you can do:

- Browse drivers by category
- Update the title, description, and category for existing drivers
- Attach images to drivers (up to ~1MB, 800x800px max)
- Remove attached images
- Upload your own driver files (up to ~30MB)

What's coming soon:

- Uploading your own driver files over 30MB. - DONE
- Driver keyword search - DONE
- Adding and changing categories - Changing DONE

What you can't do:

- Delete drivers - Can request deletion now.
- Change the name of the uploader directly - Uploader is fixed, updater is handled automatically now
- Upload a new driver with the same file name as an existing driver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to figure out how to use a zip file of some drivers I just downloaded from vogonsdrivers.com. The files are for several Microsoft Sidewinder game controllers. After unpacking the zip file I was expecting (hoping) to find several independent file groups equivalent to the original driver disks for each device. Instead there is a long list of mingled files and several executables. I only want to install one driver for one device and I don't know what to do. Please help. BTW, I tried to PM you but was disallowed because I'm new.

Reply 871 of 1466, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ram1009 wrote on 2020-05-09, 21:39:

I'm trying to figure out how to use a zip file of some drivers I just downloaded from vogonsdrivers.com. The files are for several Microsoft Sidewinder game controllers. After unpacking the zip file I was expecting (hoping) to find several independent file groups equivalent to the original driver disks for each device. Instead there is a long list of mingled files and several executables. I only want to install one driver for one device and I don't know what to do.

Others may be able to help if you can detail what your device is, and which driver package you downloaded. Might even be worth its own thread in this subforum, as it will get more eyeballs, and might help others in the future.

Reply 872 of 1466, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm trying to figure out how to use a zip file of some drivers I just downloaded from vogonsdrivers.com. The files are for several Microsoft Sidewinder game controllers. After unpacking the zip file I was expecting (hoping) to find several independent file groups equivalent to the original driver disks for each device. Instead there is a long list of mingled files and several executables. I only want to install one driver for one device and I don't know what to do. Please help. BTW, I tried to PM you but was disallowed because I'm new.

Which exact driver are you trying to extract ? Depending on if you are using Winzip, WinRAR or other: make sure you have "Use Folder names"or "Extract full paths" checked or else the directories/folders the files are in are ignored and everything gets dumped in one directory/folder. 7zip seems to always extract with full paths from my experience.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 873 of 1466, by ram1009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-09, 22:46:

Which exact driver are you trying to extract ? Depending on if you are using Winzip, WinRAR or other: make sure you have "Use Folder names"or "Extract full paths" checked or else the directories/folders the files are in are ignored and everything gets dumped in one directory/folder. 7zip seems to always extract with full paths from my experience.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to install the Force Feedback steering wheel disk using winrar. I can't find anything to check or uncheck in the winrar settings to accomplish what you are suggesting.

Reply 874 of 1466, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ram1009 wrote on 2020-05-09, 23:00:

I'm trying to install the Force Feedback steering wheel disk using winrar. I can't find anything to check or uncheck in the winrar settings to accomplish what you are suggesting.

I'm guessing you have downloaded this one? http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=880

Seems to me that it's an all-in-one package, and you just need to run Setup.exe.

This entry here says it's just for the Force Feedback Wheel (it's a 600MB ISO download though): https://archive.org/details/sidewinderforcefeedbackwheel

[edit] I grabbed that ISO for a look, and it looks like it's the same installer anyway. Screenshots attached.

Attachments

• SFFCD2.PNG
    Filename
    SFFCD2.PNG
    File size
    53.44 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • SFFCD1.PNG
    Filename
    SFFCD1.PNG
    File size
    18.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 875 of 1466, by ram1009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2020-05-09, 23:27:
I'm guessing you have downloaded this one? http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=880 […]
Show full quote
ram1009 wrote on 2020-05-09, 23:00:

I'm guessing you have downloaded this one? http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=880

Seems to me that it's an all-in-one package, and you just need to run Setup.exe.

This entry here says it's just for the Force Feedback Wheel (it's a 600MB ISO download though): https://archive.org/details/sidewinderforcefeedbackwheel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is the correct zip I downloaded. If you read the complete associated post, there are clearly several different device drivers. I only need one and I really don't want to install them all. Also, there are 5 different "setup.exe" files in the top level of the zip file plus other "setup.exe" in some of the folders. There are no instructions that I can find. I'm currently downloading the iso file although I can only wonder what I'm getting that is 600mB when the original disk was only about 1.5mB.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: This is getting frustrating. I don't have any software to view the files on the iso but it looks like it doesn't matter if your screenshot is accurate. Those other 2 screenshots look more like what I expect to see but they are png files. They won't do me any good. I don't know what to do.

Reply 876 of 1466, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ram1009 wrote on 2020-05-09, 23:52:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- […]
Show full quote

That is the correct zip I downloaded. If you read the complete associated post, there are clearly several different device drivers. I only need one and I really don't want to install them all. Also, there are 5 different "setup.exe" files in the top level of the zip file plus other "setup.exe" in some of the folders.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downloaded it AND: There is only one Setup.EXE in that zip, there are other setup.* files: Setup.ins, setup.ini, setup.lid but only one SETUP.EXE. In the other folders are _setup.dll files for each language file. Not sure how you are seeing multiple Setup.exe because under Windows there can only be ONE named that exactly in the same folder.
I think you must have something set weird in your Windows explorer if you actually see multi setup .exe...

Reply 877 of 1466, by ram1009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-10, 01:14:
ram1009 wrote on 2020-05-09, 23:52:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- […]
Show full quote

That is the correct zip I downloaded. If you read the complete associated post, there are clearly several different device drivers. I only need one and I really don't want to install them all. Also, there are 5 different "setup.exe" files in the top level of the zip file plus other "setup.exe" in some of the folders.

Downloaded it AND: There is only one Setup.EXE in that zip, there are other setup.* files: Setup.ins, setup.ini, setup.lid but only one SETUP.EXE. In the other folders are _setup.dll files for each language file. Not sure how you are seeing multiple Setup.exe because under Windows there can only be ONE named that exactly in the same folder.
I think you must have something set weird in your Windows explorer if you actually see multi setup .exe...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're right. I had my head up my ass. There is a"_setup.exe" and I clicked it and the proper driver appears to have loaded perfectly. Hard to believe on a W10 machine. I'll keep you posted.

EDIT: I experimented and used the "SETUP.EXE" file to install the driver and it installed the same as "_SETUP.EXE". It's very strange to me that there are 600MB of files to install one driver that was originally 1.8MB in size 20 years ago. Anyway, the FF driver seems to be working fine even on the W10 machine.

Last edited by ram1009 on 2020-05-10, 09:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 878 of 1466, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ram1009 wrote on 2020-05-10, 01:30:

You're right. I has my head up my ass. There is a"_setup.exe" and I clicked it and the proper driver appears to have loaded perfectly. Hard to believe on a W10 machine. I'll keep you posted.

Naah you are installing an old driver and who knows how Win10 would show it (have not looked under Win10, am on Win7 right now). Hope it works for you !

Reply 879 of 1466, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote on 2020-05-09, 15:38:
That's a bit unfair. […]
Show full quote

That's a bit unfair.

It's not for the sake of being obstinate or elitist, it's purely a practical decision to minimise my administrative overhead.

There also isn't a hard file size limit, I am just wishing to avoid gigabyte+ size files for the time being, until there a hosting solution with more storage is in place.

I did not mean to attack you personally about this. I think your website and the work you're doing on it is very important.

I was just annoyed at the way it's working currently. Someone who's investing time into preserving software is not only blocked once from uploading it at your site because they can't register themselves, but even twice by this stupid forum PM rule. I'm certain quite a few people would just give up and throw the software in the garbage bin at that point. I'm pretty sure that's the opposite of what you're trying to accomplish here.

I don't know if your able to do it, but a registration option and an upload limit (probably the size of a CD ISO) would save you a lot of administrative overhead and would open the site up to newcomers who just want to help out.

Visit my YT Channel!