VOGONS

Asrock 775Dual VSTA & Core4Dual thread

Topic actions

Reply 440 of 689, by NautilusComputer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2020-01-14, 01:17:

Asrock is something like Asus cheaper brand, which something do more experimenting.. i guess that electrical components were often worse.. VRMs arent good for overclocking, but only Asrock made these universal boards, so i some point of view are the best.
I similar today HW, im still buying Gigabite boards, because lost advanced bios options, but im aware that electrical components, support, utilities etc.. are much worse that these from Asus, or even MSI.

World would be more funny, if some vendors would do more that slight enhancing Intel / AMD reference designs, usually by some universal Bios options.. there are even less and less additional storage and usb controllers on boards.. and know you can buy only something which has better VRM models, better realtek Audion / Nic, more M.2 slots (usually in exchange for some PCI-E slots) and more USB ports.. that all.

It was spun off as it's own company in 2002 from Asus and is currently owned by Pegatron.

Reply 441 of 689, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any idea way Geforce 8800GT should work with Core4Dual MB? I tried lots of PCI-E graphics card with it, card is working with other board, but with this combination noting.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 442 of 689, by max1024

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did a study on productivity growth from Riva TNT 2 Ultra till GTX580 3Gb on the discussed motherboard, details below
https://overclockers.ru/lab/show/102150/retro … press-interfejs

My articles: overclockers.ru/search/result?searchStr=max1024&sec=articles

Reply 443 of 689, by Hlafordlaes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2020-03-01, 22:22:

Any idea way Geforce 8800GT should work with Core4Dual MB? I tried lots of PCI-E graphics card with it, card is working with other board, but with this combination noting.

I can only confirm that the 8800 GTS ran just fine on my 4CoreDual-VSTA. I no longer have the card to test on the board I have now, the -SATA2 2.0, but I'm guessing it should. In fact, compared to many boards I've been playing with recently, the only socket 775 board to easily and immediately recognize my old Creative sound card is the ASRock.

The 0nly trouble I ever had was with an ATI AGP card that did not downvolt for a 8x slot, frying my earlier board.

Try blowing or vacuuming the slot, plus use an eraser to clean the card contacts. I use an enema bulb to blow out my mobo slots. 😉

Calm down, have some dip. -George Carlin

Reply 444 of 689, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Slots are fine, there are working with other cards, i try connectors trick too, tested card multiple times. It worked with other MB i would say that card is dead, but it isnt.. I wanted to just some benchmarking, now card is gone.. But i excepted that it would work, but i was Inno3D card, so any proven brand.. i also did checked bios version, maybe there were some fixes.

Maybe, maybe is not compatible with my Yessico 400W passive PSU, but it is small chance.. i was able to work even with Radeon 6950 and other beefy cards.

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 445 of 689, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
max1024 wrote on 2020-03-10, 11:37:

I did a study on productivity growth from Riva TNT 2 Ultra till GTX580 3Gb on the discussed motherboard, details below
https://overclockers.ru/lab/show/102150/retro … press-interfejs

Fantastic work

Reply 446 of 689, by Matthew Li

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2016-04-17, 22:17:
I own both 775Dual-VSTA, and 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 boards. Beta BIOS will "broke" Pentium 4 EE Gallatin support on former board. […]
Show full quote

I own both 775Dual-VSTA, and 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 boards.
Beta BIOS will "broke" Pentium 4 EE Gallatin support on former board.
Here's video that confirms "Gallatin" support on it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdz-q2YErTI (kinda old, but it's still amusing 😀)

Few benchamarks with QX6850 (highest CPU 4CoreDual-SATA2 supports from 65nm, I heard it can work with Yorkfield, but it isn't stable with it - VRM section isn't good enough) :

Radeon 5770 1GB (highest performance that's still OK on PCI-e 1.0 x4) :
3DMark06 : 3DMark 06 mini.png
3DMark Vantage (P) : 3DMark Vantage P-Score mini.png
3DMark Vantage (X) : 3DMark Vantage X-Score mini.png

Radeon 5870 (ref.) - Overkill, and limited in lower detail level by PCI-e x4 :
3DMark Vantage (P) : 3DMark Vantage P-Score mini.png
3DMark Vantage (X) : 3DMark Vantage X-Score mini.png
CPU was overclocked with stock Intel cooler (standard height).
CL timing = "4" in all tests (CPU-z can't detect DDR2 memory installed for some bizzare reason).
Vdroop and Load Line Calibration does not exist on this board.
Vcore can drop to 1,136V with QX6850 I was using.
Good thing about this ?
Low Vcore = Low CPU temps 😀

PS. This boards DOES NOT support Kepler GK110.
I checked both boards with GTX 780 Ti I own, and they will not POST (regardless of BIOS/CPU used).
It will support GT 440 GDDR5 with no additional PCI-e plug (checked, can upload screens if needed).

hi mate

can you tell me the difference between 775Dual-VSTA, and 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 ? as after checking out on ASROCK's official website, the only thing i can find is the speed of SATA bus.

Reply 448 of 689, by Matthew Li

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2020-05-08, 19:43:

Sure :
4CoreDual supports Quad Core, Core 2 Quad/Extreme* chips (*Unofficial), while 775Dual-VSTA has (official) support for up to Dual Cores.

Hi thanks for rapid reply.

my bad, i mean difference between 4CoreDual-SATA2 and 4CoreDual-vsta

Reply 449 of 689, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Different south bridge which has SATA2 support (doesn't have driver for Win9x).

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 450 of 689, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anybody tried putting quad core (e.g. QX9650) intro 775dual-vsta with modified bios 3.19a? Will it take a quad core at all with such a BIOS? I can't seem to find specifics about differences between 775dual and 4coredual (not SATA2). Only that they're 'really' similar. And that I maybe have to replace 775dual bios with 4coredual bios (?!). Could someone please shed some light on that matter?

Edit: funny thing. If you open 775dual-VSTA's photo and 4coredual's photo from Asrock's site - they're pixel-per-pixel identical except printed text - and even there some parts of it are totally the same. That can't be right. Must be photoshopped. Check that out!

https://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/4CoreDual-VSTA(L1).png
https://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/775Dual-VSTA(L1).png

MB: Asus P3B-F 1.03 (2x ISA)
CPU: PIII-S 1.4GHz/VIA C3 800MHz
RAM: 256MB PC133
Video: GeForce 4600Ti/Voodoo 5 5500/Voodoo 3 3500 for DOS Glide
Audio: SB16 OPL3 + Audigy Platinum Ex

Reply 451 of 689, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They are identical, the difference is only in PLL. Modified BIOS should work too.

Reply 452 of 689, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2020-05-21, 12:42:

They are identical, the difference is only in PLL. Modified BIOS should work too.

Cool, thanks. As soon as I get qx9650, I'll report back for posterity sake!

Reply 454 of 689, by Zoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe you can, adding of microcodes to bios *might* be required, but there are guides available on the net on how to do it. Keep in mind however, that X5260 is a FSB1333 CPU with locked multiplier so it'll work on a much lower clock (775dual-VSTA is a FSB1066 motherboard).

Reply 455 of 689, by AshleyPomeroy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for skimming the thread, but I had one of these! I bought it in 2007 and sold it in 2012, mainly so I could switch to a 64-bit system:
WDKctVn.jpg

In 2007 I was upgrading from an AMD Duron - I went from an overclocked Intel Celeron 300A to an AMD Duron, because the Pentium 4 felt like a poor deal. I upgraded to a Dual-VSTA board so I could continue to use my existing DDR memory. It's odd to think that Vista was such a big deal that companies were prepared to name their boards after it.

Looking at my Dabs.com order the motherboard was £36.36 in 2007. I bought it along with a Pentium D 820 (£68), a 256mb Geforce 7300GT (£47), and 2x512mb Corsair PC3200 (£56). And a 250gb Western Digital Caviar (£46).

The Pentium D was unimpressive and very hot, so I replaced it just three months later with a 1.8ghz E4300 Core 2 Duo (£75). That's a good example of "buy once, cry once". I'm still puzzled as to why I bought a Pentium D. I knew it was a dog at the time. Why didn't I just buy a Core 2 Duo? Were they too expensive? At some point I upgraded the Core 2 Duo to a 2.4ghz E6600.

Sadly the memory limit was 2gb - judging by the replies in this thread it could take more, but not much more - and after trying to edit video with just 2gb using 32-bit Windows XP I decided to switch to a 64-bit system in 2011, with an i5-2500k running on an Asrock H67M-GE (which is still my main PC, although I've replaced it with a cheap i5-3570). I actually bought a legitimate boxed copy of Windows 7 Professional - mainly for XP Mode - which has since been upgraded in place to Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 Professional.

I don't recall having any problems with the board although off the top of my head I only ever tried overclocking the E4300, and then only by a tiny amount. The Celeron 300A was an overclocking beast.

Reply 456 of 689, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

but not much more

75% more. But original 2Gb limitation is fine for light browsing and all XP era games. No reason to push it harder.

Reply 457 of 689, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, my system is addressing 3.2GB RAM. I know, it's kinda pointless, but hey, overkill system should have all the RAM it can get 😀

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 459 of 689, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, but would make sense to look for Pentium E5800 and overlock it to 4 Ghz.