VOGONS

Reply 15160 of 27499, by computerguy08

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-10, 05:55:
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-09, 21:31:

I unsuccessfully tried to set up a LAN bridge adapter for my retro rigs with an OpenWrt router using relayd. No matter what I tried I couldn't get an internet connection on the LAN ports.

Just use a 100/10 switch between your old systems and internet router. KISS

I wish I could do that, but I can't physically get a RJ-45 cable there (it requires drilling in the ceiling, which I don't want to do).

Anyways, it works now. The only thing I needed was a little bit of patience. I forgot to remove the static IP setiings on my machine after i finished the setup.

I get about 10-15 Mbps, which is okay I guess, even for XP.

Reply 15161 of 27499, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aha2940 wrote on 2020-05-10, 15:49:

I looked online for the capacitors needed to recap my Antec 350W, and found this page where a guy recapped a PS exactly like mine: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=89628

Unfortunately, that's a lot of caps, which would be pretty expensive to buy locally (a single one of the big capacitors may cost about 12 US dollars around here, and I'm talking about just replacements, they are not even Nichicon/Panasonic) so that would make the cost of recapping (fixing?) the PS way more than a new one. Maybe later I'll lookup into bringing all the capacitors from the US, that may be less expensive.

Yes the two big caps are very expensive. I did not order those two or the 8 or so very small ones, just the main 6 output caps cost about $10 plus $5 shipping (from Digikey USA to a USA address). Hoping that will fix it, if not will have to order the other caps UGH.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 15162 of 27499, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Horun wrote on 2020-05-10, 16:56:
aha2940 wrote on 2020-05-10, 15:49:

I looked online for the capacitors needed to recap my Antec 350W, and found this page where a guy recapped a PS exactly like mine: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?p=89628

Unfortunately, that's a lot of caps, which would be pretty expensive to buy locally (a single one of the big capacitors may cost about 12 US dollars around here, and I'm talking about just replacements, they are not even Nichicon/Panasonic) so that would make the cost of recapping (fixing?) the PS way more than a new one. Maybe later I'll lookup into bringing all the capacitors from the US, that may be less expensive.

Yes the two big caps are very expensive. I did not order those two or the 8 or so very small ones, just the main 6 output caps cost about $10 plus $5 shipping (from Digikey USA to a USA address). Hoping that will fix it, if not will have to order the other caps UGH.

Please post here the results you get, I'm interested in getting my Antec working well again, since it seems to be the best-designed PS I have currently, the other ones are chinese crappy ones that are so light I'm surprised they do not float. One question though: besides the capacitors, are there any other parts that usually go bad inside a PS? I'd hate to spend that kind of money on the capacitors only for something else to be bad 😁

On a related note to the thread, I just removed a pair of jumpers from my SB16 and replaced them with two soldered jumper wires. Jumpers were only for enabling a non-existant and very difficult to install chip, so they won't be missed.

Reply 15163 of 27499, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote on 2020-05-10, 07:59:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-10, 06:12:

The actual OS was Dos. Win3.1 was a graphical desktop environment sitting on top of it.

That is just as wrong as it is right. There's no definite definition of what makes an OS. Windows 3.x uses its own drivers for sound, graphics, input, etc., has it's own SDK and applications (which don't run in DOS), can interact with the hardware directly (32-bit disk access, WinG for hardware-accelerated graphics) and what not. It's quite a stretch to call it "just" a GUI or GDE.

If Windows was just a GUI, then MacOS 10/X is too by the same definition. Because below is Darvin, a fork of BSD UNIX taken from NeXT, which is the actual OS running.

Nice try. NT based windows are self containing and don't rely on an underlying OS to operate. And there are definite definitions to what an operating system actually is. In win3.1 Dos calls are required to perform certain tasks. In OS/X can you completely boot directly to a commandline like the BSDs and Linux? Run software at that commandline and run programs such as filemanager, proramming tools, communication tools and editors? Like you can do in Dos, BSD and Linux???

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 15164 of 27499, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-10, 18:09:

Nice try. NT based windows are self containing and don't rely on an underlying OS to operate.

Where did I mention NT???

And there are definite definitions to what an operating system actually is.

That sentence is a contradiction in itself. You can't have multiple definite definitions. There is no single one, and that's the point. No idea why you think your definition of what an OS is is the only correct one. It isn't.

In OS/X can you completely boot directly to a commandline like the BSDs and Linux?

That's a nice try, actually. That's just a startup configuration, and you should know that. You can in fact boot MacOS X into a command line. Aqua (the OS X GUI) is loaded from a shell-startup script by Darvin. Just like you can add "win.com" to your autoexec.bat to boot directly into Win3.x. No valid point here.

Run software at that commandline and run programs such as filemanager, proramming tools, communication tools and editors? Like you can do in Dos, BSD and Linux???

You apparently never used MacOS X. Of course you can, it even comes with the standard Terminal like any other UNIX.

Anyway, believe in your own definition of what an OS is if you like...

Last edited by derSammler on 2020-05-11, 07:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15165 of 27499, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
derSammler wrote on 2020-05-10, 18:26:
Where did I mention NT??? […]
Show full quote

Nice try. NT based windows are self containing and don't rely on an underlying OS to operate.

In OS/X can you completely boot directly to a commandline like the BSDs and Linux?

That's a nice try, actually. That's just a startup configuration, and you should know that. You can in fact boot MacOS X into a command line. Just like you can add "win.com" to your autoexec.bat to boot directly into Win3.x. No valid point here.

So you would use Mac OS/X in the command like on a day to day basis and not the GUI? SUUURE you would. Maybe if you were a programmer. 99% of the rest of the population using Mac OS/X certainly wouldn't.\
I mentioned NT to put things in their correct context. Lest we forgot....
No I have never run Mac OS/X and don't intend to hence the question. Is that too hard to figure out? Linux gives me all the *nix kicks I want without forking out a dime to Apple Inc.
Bty how many virtual ttys do you have access to in Darwin?

Reply 15166 of 27499, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
aha2940 wrote on 2020-05-10, 17:38:

Please post here the results you get, I'm interested in getting my Antec working well again, since it seems to be the best-designed PS I have currently, the other ones are chinese crappy ones that are so light I'm surprised they do not float. One question though: besides the capacitors, are there any other parts that usually go bad inside a PS? I'd hate to spend that kind of money on the capacitors only for something else to be bad 😁

On a related note to the thread, I just removed a pair of jumpers from my SB16 and replaced them with two soldered jumper wires. Jumpers were only for enabling a non-existant and very difficult to install chip, so they won't be missed.

Yes I will post the results. And I have replaced caps in a PSU that ended up needing a lot of other parts too which cost more than just buying a working used PSU. Good job on SB16 !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 15167 of 27499, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-10, 16:43:
I wish I could do that, but I can't physically get a RJ-45 cable there (it requires drilling in the ceiling, which I don't want […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-10, 05:55:
computerguy08 wrote on 2020-05-09, 21:31:

I unsuccessfully tried to set up a LAN bridge adapter for my retro rigs with an OpenWrt router using relayd. No matter what I tried I couldn't get an internet connection on the LAN ports.

Just use a 100/10 switch between your old systems and internet router. KISS

I wish I could do that, but I can't physically get a RJ-45 cable there (it requires drilling in the ceiling, which I don't want to do).

Anyways, it works now. The only thing I needed was a little bit of patience. I forgot to remove the static IP setiings on my machine after i finished the setup.

I get about 10-15 Mbps, which is okay I guess, even for XP.

Cool. Glad it's all worked out. 😀

Reply 15168 of 27499, by xcomcmdr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice try. NT based windows are self containing and don't rely on an underlying OS to operate. And there are definite definitions to what an operating system actually is. In win3.1 Dos calls are required to perform certain tasks.

That's because it was the cost-effective way to do it, both for compatibility's sake and to ease development of the OS.

Windows 9X has a similar usage of DOS :
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20 … 224-00/?p=24063

However, it's not a simple GUI either. Try to run a Win16 app or Win32 app in DOS and you'll start to see why. As with Windows 3.1, it has its own kernel, ABI, and API.

Reply 15169 of 27499, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Almoststew1990 wrote on 2020-05-05, 22:36:

Today I installed and used Windows 3.1 for the first time, on my 386 (I made a thread about whether it would run a while back). It's surprisingly... good, for what it is. I couldn't really understand the appeal of it but having tried it, it sort of makes sense.

the era of enforced desktop tidyness theres a pc speaker sound driver it can play basic wav and system sounds dunno where maybe vetusware? just for the non sound driver win 3.x user funny i tried it in windows 95 it can accept it

windows 95 had windows 3.x task manager manually launchable in the system directory i think it can emulate a windows 3.x desktop enviroment for the REAL dinosaurs of the 90's (people too old to adapt easily r.i.p. typewriters)

Reply 15170 of 27499, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-10, 18:37:
So you would use Mac OS/X in the command like on a day to day basis and not the GUI? SUUURE you would. Maybe if you were a progr […]
Show full quote
Where did I mention NT??? […]
Show full quote

That's a nice try, actually. That's just a startup configuration, and you should know that. You can in fact boot MacOS X into a command line. Just like you can add "win.com" to your autoexec.bat to boot directly into Win3.x. No valid point here.

So you would use Mac OS/X in the command like on a day to day basis and not the GUI? SUUURE you would. Maybe if you were a programmer. 99% of the rest of the population using Mac OS/X certainly wouldn't.\
No I have never run Mac OS/X and don't intend to hence the question. Is that too hard to figure out? Linux gives me all the *nix kicks I want without forking out a dime to Apple Inc.

Calm down, this is not war. I embrace both OSes. And linux as well.

You don't need to give a dime to Apple - you can download macOS for free, and build yourself a hackintosh to run it. I did that between 2014-2017. Maintenance was a nightmare, but it worked as intended, just like a real mac.

EDIT: just for legal purposes, I owned a mac in all this period between 2010 and now.

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 15171 of 27499, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I decided I'd had it with these motherf-ing snakes on the flakey left button in my Logitech PS/2 Trackman Marble. It constantly registered double clicks when it shouldn't, and wouldn't "hold" a click-and-drag no matter how hard I pressed it, just letting go at random times. This was obviously infuriating - this thing is on my main KVM & I use it for everything.

I opened it up & found the switches were Omron D2F-F-3-7s. I ordered some new ones off the big auction website for $4 shipped. Easy enough.

20200510_103813.jpg
Filename
20200510_103813.jpg
File size
132.48 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

...then I decided I didn't feel like waiting 30-40 days for those to arrive, so I opened up the switch itself to see if I could bend the contact pad back into shape:

20200510_112700.jpg
Filename
20200510_112700.jpg
File size
157.66 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Well, nope. It quickly became clear there was NO WAY I & my meat fingers were going to get this back together in anything resembling a workable form. The photo is deceptive, but these components are tiny.

So I dug through my stash of mice, and found this knackered Logitech ball mouse of similar vintage. Popped that open and sure enough, three identical switches:

20200510_113050.jpg
Filename
20200510_113050.jpg
File size
239.42 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I gave it a quick test & all three buttons were working fine, despite the mouse having seen better days.

A bit of textbook desoldering & resoldering later:

20200510_115654.jpg
Filename
20200510_115654.jpg
File size
319.08 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

(I fit the former middle-button switch onto the trackball, thinking it'd have the least amount of wear.)

Incidentally I have a few of these mice in better shape, and a couple other models of Logitech trackball, so I'll keep the rest of the mouse parts on-hand in case I need to fix another one.

Gave the new switch a quick test, and yep, working great!

20200510_120050.jpg
Filename
20200510_120050.jpg
File size
186.92 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Decided not to do the right button, since it's still fine, and I would have been replacing a worn right switch with a worn right switch. If I have any problems with it, I'll swap them both out when my brand new switches get here.

I also dusted out the inside (there wasn't much, I keep this thing pretty clean) and put some dry silicon lubricant on the metal rollers that hold the ball in place. It's SO smooth to use now, and the new button works & even feels a million times better. For only an hour's work or so, I'm pretty damn satisfied with the result. Should've done it ages ago.

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 15173 of 27499, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-10, 20:29:
Calm down, this is not war. I embrace both OSes. And linux as well. […]
Show full quote
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-10, 18:37:
So you would use Mac OS/X in the command like on a day to day basis and not the GUI? SUUURE you would. Maybe if you were a progr […]
Show full quote

Calm down, this is not war. I embrace both OSes. And linux as well.

You don't need to give a dime to Apple - you can download macOS for free, and build yourself a hackintosh to run it. I did that between 2014-2017. Maintenance was a nightmare, but it worked as intended, just like a real mac.

EDIT: just for legal purposes, I owned a mac in all this period between 2010 and now.

I am perfectly calm. In fact was laughing when I made that post... He still hasn't answered my question about TTYs. Got another- Can you switch out from from the gui directly to a tty?

I really don't care how long anyone has been using a particular platform. I just know I've saved a bundle not using Apple Incs hardware or software over the last 40 odd years.

The bit about Hackintoshes is laughable. Apple Inc doesn't, wont and hasn't supported them 🤣.
You are indeed violating Apple Inc.s Terms Of Service 🤣

Reply 15174 of 27499, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-10, 21:51:

The bit about Hackintoshes is laughable. Apple Inc doesn't, wont and hasn't supported them 🤣.

As if you haven't ? Nearly every driver or software update is also a violation to use if you did not purchase the original product new. Bought from some thrift store, ebay, etc does not qualify as "original purchase" under most TOS. Just saying...better wipe those drivers off your HD 🤣

Reply 15175 of 27499, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You have no idea of my past ol.

No I have not 🤣. I've payed for every piece of software, including OSs like OS/2 NT4 and many more, I have ever used 🤣. Obviously apart from oss/foss stuff. But I have paid a small amount for commercial distro like Turbo Linux or Xandros even though they have open circulation CDs for free. It's my hobby. I collect boxed OSs. I am prepared to buy them at a reasonable cost. Never had a Hackentosh, never will in my life 🤣. All well as stuff given to me perfectly legitimately transferring the license. You lot are damn funny trying to justify it 🤣.

Personally I don't really care at all.....

Reply 15176 of 27499, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Again, this is not an OS war. You don't like Apple, OK, it's your choice. I understand. I despise Google/Android stuff as well. I like Windows as well. We all have our preferences!

BTW, I used that PC between 2014-2017, and I did not violate anything, because I had a 2014 MacBook Air 11-inch as well, and the macOS was running in a VM on my sim racing PC (which I do not own anymore). Since VMware software allows for the virtualization of macOS, there was no violation.

That's all.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 15177 of 27499, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-11, 04:12:
Again, this is not an OS war. You don't like Apple, OK, it's your choice. I understand. I despise Google/Android stuff as well. […]
Show full quote

Again, this is not an OS war. You don't like Apple, OK, it's your choice. I understand. I despise Google/Android stuff as well. I like Windows as well. We all have our preferences!

BTW, I used that PC between 2014-2017, and I did not violate anything, because I had a 2014 MacBook Air 11-inch as well, and the macOS was running in a VM on my sim racing PC (which I do not own anymore). Since VMware software allows for the virtualization of macOS, there was no violation.

That's all.

It's not about an OS war at all. It's the fact that you use an Apple inc. OS on non Apple Inc. hardware, wrt Hackintoshes, violating their TOS... Simple as that.......

It is humorous in the way you try to spin it though 😀

Reply 15178 of 27499, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-11, 04:20:
Again, this is not an OS war. You don't like Apple, OK, it's your choice. I understand. I despise Google/Android stuff as well. […]
Show full quote

That's all.

It's not about an OS war at all. It's the fact that you use an Apple inc. OS on non Apple Inc. hardware, wrt Hackintoshes, violating their TOS... Simple as that.......

You are still using the wrong verb tense even though I said 2014-2017.

Virtualization of macOS is not illegal.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 15179 of 27499, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bruninho wrote on 2020-05-11, 04:49:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2020-05-11, 04:20:

That's all.

You are still using the wrong verb tense even though I said 2014-2017.

Virtualization of macOS is not illegal.

So you admit you were violating Apple Incs TOS?