VOGONS

Reply 20 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dionb:

I'm no console player, but I'd love something like this for my Atari-style digital joysticks, particularly the 2-button variety, which don't play nice with my exising Atari->gameport adapter. I see a DE9 connector on that box. Could it do Atari as well?

Atari and Sega ports are electronically the same. So it's more of software thing, which is doable. Sadly, I've got only 1 button Kempston/Atari joysticks - may play with those.
Are Atari/Amiga joysticks wired the same as Sega Master System gamepad? I may hunt for one of those in my neck of the woods. My country has no Atari/Amiga hardware in the wild.

Tiido:

To differentiate 3 and 6button MD pads you see if on 3rd transition of TH from high to low the pad returns 0000 in RLDU bits and 1111 on 8th. 3 button pad will only ever return 00 in RL bits whenever TH signal is low.

Thanks Tiido! I think I'll spend a couple of days playing with this feature.

Got it! Have to implement 3-button support. Hopefully Atari and Sega Master System controllers shall "conveniently" stick along 😀

Want to play MS-DOS keyboard-only games with a gamepad? Feel free to purchase Volo's Pad-to-PS/2 by writing me an e-mail:
3hUGsDI.png

Reply 21 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2020-05-10, 23:01:
If you have the Genesis connector there already, won't it work with other DB-9 controllers like the Atari 2600? https://en.wikip […]
Show full quote

If you have the Genesis connector there already, won't it work with other DB-9 controllers like the Atari 2600?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_joystick_port

(Where do people source SNES connectors from, anyway? I wouldn't have thought they'd be easy to come across.)

I might be concerned about latency.

I suppose if the USB connector is used, the device will present itself as a USB keyboard? Would it be much more complicated to have the option to present itself as a USB gamepad?

I'm working on Atari implementation. It is doable, but was not convenient for my personal use. I originally designed the thing to work instead of keyboard, not along with it. So single button was a bit too limited.

As of USB HID gamepad descriptor - It is doable, but unreasonable. You may readily buy those converters on Aliexpress for $8-10.
My prime aim was PS/2. USB... just happened.

As of latency: USB should have some (1-2 frames), but i failed to notice. On the other hand, PS/2 lag may be as small as 1 ms and has theoretical maximum of 10ms (7ms Sega state check + 1-3ms PS/2 key-code departure). It could've been less for SNES pad, but it wouldn't be fair. Since a single VGA frame is about 13.3ms - same frame signal delivery is pretty much guaranteed. So there is no latency at all.

Want to play MS-DOS keyboard-only games with a gamepad? Feel free to purchase Volo's Pad-to-PS/2 by writing me an e-mail:
3hUGsDI.png

Reply 22 of 293, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

about pads in case anyone is interested, other that 8bitdo there is also Krikzz that sells wireless 2.4g megadrive pads: https://krikzz.com/store/home/52-sega-genesis … controller.html
this is what I am thinking to buy

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 23 of 293, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Volo wrote on 2020-05-11, 07:06:

I'm working on Atari implementation. It is doable, but was not convenient for my personal use. I originally designed the thing to work instead of keyboard, not along with it. So single button was a bit too limited.

Maybe some form of PS/2 passthrough to enable both keyboard and device to work together

Reply 25 of 293, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-11, 07:14:

Maybe some form of PS/2 passthrough to enable both keyboard and device to work together

it already has this

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 26 of 293, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Atari/Commodore DB9 has different pinout compared to Sega one, 5V is on pin 5 on Sega while it is on pin 7 on Atari/Commodore, a switch or something is needed to take care of that in order to prevent potential damage to all the parties involved.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 27 of 293, by oohms

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am keen on ordering one of these

DOS/w3.11/w98 | K6-III+ 400ATZ @ 550 | FIC PA2013 | 128mb SDram | Voodoo 3 3000 | Avancelogic ALS100 | Roland SC-55ST
DOS/w98/XP | Core 2 Duo E4600 | Asus P5PE-VM | 512mb DDR400 | Ti4800SE | ForteMedia FM801

Reply 28 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2020-05-11, 07:40:

Atari/Commodore DB9 has different pinout compared to Sega one, 5V is on pin 5 on Sega while it is on pin 7 on Atari/Commodore, a switch or something is needed to take care of that in order to prevent potential damage to all the parties involved.

I looked at it. While the Sega and Atari/Commodore HOSTs use different pinouts for VCC, the controllers themselves are just passive hunks of contacts, which pull button pins to GND, without any use of VCC at all (both pin 5 and pin 7 seem to be not wired). They should be compatible and interchangeable.

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 30 of 293, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I expected some controllers to be something beyond passive devices (i.e maybe with turbo function) and then things get more interesting, passive controllers would be fine though.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 31 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote on 2020-05-11, 07:12:

about pads in case anyone is interested, other that 8bitdo there is also Krikzz that sells wireless 2.4g megadrive pads: https://krikzz.com/store/home/52-sega-genesis … controller.html
this is what I am thinking to buy

I'm not sure that PS/2 ports are designed to deliver enough current to power radio modules (especially Bluetooth transceivers by 8bitdo).
Should not be a problem (as PS/2 seem to be powered of common 5V bus), but you are REALLY going off-spec. Use caution! You might fry a valuable PC.

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 32 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
arthur071169 wrote on 2020-05-11, 08:29:

Hi. I am interested in one of these devices. What do I need to do to pre order / register interest?

Regards,
Arthur.

Just PM me your email, or send a message to electronic address you see "exploding" below.

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 33 of 293, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Volo wrote on 2020-05-11, 08:33:

I'm not sure that PS/2 ports are designed to deliver enough current to power radio modules (especially Bluetooth transceivers by 8bitdo).
Should not be a problem (as PS/2 seem to be powered of common 5V bus), but you are REALLY going off-spec. Use caution! You might fry a valuable PC.

I will ask about the power consumption - good point!

Reply 35 of 293, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Volo wrote on 2020-05-11, 07:06:

As of USB HID gamepad descriptor - It is doable, but unreasonable. You may readily buy those converters on Aliexpress for $8-10.

I didn't think they were that cheap. I was looking at Raphnet a while ago:
https://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/snes2us … er_v2/index.php

Surprisingly, they do not seem to have any products that plug into the PS/2 port, so no competition there.

Reply 36 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
arthur071169 wrote on 2020-05-11, 08:49:

I emailed you! I also offered a suggestion / request that may or may not be possible.

😉

Arthur.

Sorry, did not receive the message. Would you please re-send it?

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 38 of 293, by arthur071169

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Resent just now.

Volo wrote on 2020-05-11, 21:26:
arthur071169 wrote on 2020-05-11, 08:49:

I emailed you! I also offered a suggestion / request that may or may not be possible.

😉

Arthur.

Sorry, did not receive the message. Would you please re-send it?

Reply 39 of 293, by Jinxter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Has anybody testet the gamepadLPT and compared these?
Video: https://youtu.be/X6jG2qTPpNk

Check out my YouTube channel: Retro Erik https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroErik
My collection: https://retro.hageseter.com