VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
im trying to make working Kingdom under fire gold - patched to 1.205 (it has in mission saving) on Windows 10 1909 and Nvidia.

Game is running, but:
1) I cant minimize it - when i use alt+tab - game freeze and i cant go back.. I see only game screen at top left corner of my main desktop, but its not active.
2) At least once i got temporary slideshow.. for 30s, im not aware some major task running on machine during that time.

Tried compatibility settings so far..
- Win 98 / Me compatibility
- Disable fullscreen optimalization
- Run as administrator
- DPI fixes in compatibility tab

In seems to be running in some 2d mode.

Any ideas?

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 1 of 10, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some old games just don't like alt-tabbing, might be a way to run it in window mode, wasn't able to find much on that after a quick search, maybe WSGF(widescreen gaming forum) can help or a wrapper of somekind like dgvoodoo's directx dll.

Reply 2 of 10, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ruthan wrote on 2020-05-11, 07:19:
Hello, im trying to make working Kingdom under fire gold - patched to 1.205 (it has in mission saving) on Windows 10 1909 and Nv […]
Show full quote

Hello,
im trying to make working Kingdom under fire gold - patched to 1.205 (it has in mission saving) on Windows 10 1909 and Nvidia.

Game is running, but:
1) I cant minimize it - when i use alt+tab - game freeze and i cant go back.. I see only game screen at top left corner of my main desktop, but its not active.
2) At least once i got temporary slideshow.. for 30s, im not aware some major task running on machine during that time.

Tried compatibility settings so far..
- Win 98 / Me compatibility
- Disable fullscreen optimalization
- Run as administrator
- DPI fixes in compatibility tab

In seems to be running in some 2d mode.

Any ideas?

Games from that era didnt support alt tabbing. This isthe only game. There are a lot of other games that dont support this feature. However as synrgy said, WSGF may have fixes for it

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 3 of 10, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, but too general..

Its strange that there is so few info, about this game, but it made it to Xbox and later someone even invested to zillions for years to make MMO from its world. Even some Angry Redneck was probably paid to play it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI_s-9zsM8M

After adding normal Saving game seems to be quite fine from gameplay perpective.

Later volume is now even on Steam, but seems that port is bad.. and it has classic problem of Asian fantasy, Steam punk mixing - i hate it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121420/Ki … _The_Crusaders/

Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough raw HW.

Reply 4 of 10, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2020-05-11, 10:19:
Thanks, but too general.. […]
Show full quote

Thanks, but too general..

Its strange that there is so few info, about this game, but it made it to Xbox and later someone even invested to zillions for years to make MMO from its world. Even some Angry Redneck was probably paid to play it - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XI_s-9zsM8M

After adding normal Saving game seems to be quite fine from gameplay perpective.

Later volume is now even on Steam, but seems that port is bad.. and it has classic problem of Asian fantasy, Steam punk mixing - i hate it.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121420/Ki … _The_Crusaders/

Using dgvoodoo2 allows alt tabbing and fixes the crashing on loss of focus / alt tab. Not sure what you mean by "too general" At the time the game had to compete with C&C and a load of other RTS games, but you're right there doesn't seem to be a lot out there on it these days. it's got a very warcraft 2 feel about it. only it's humans vs devils instead of orcs 🤣 😁

Reply 5 of 10, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is dgVoodoo2 working for 2D stuff too?

There are orcs too. and warcraft also only useful orcs from Warhammer and Warhammer from DnD.. and DnD from Tolkien, im not sure about Dunsany and older..

Reply 6 of 10, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ruthan wrote on 2020-05-11, 14:25:

Is dgVoodoo2 working for 2D stuff too?

There are orcs too. and warcraft also only useful orcs from Warhammer and Warhammer from DnD.. and DnD from Tolkien, im not sure about Dunsany and older..

Just a comment on the style of the game, the later games are very different in the series.

Yes it does which is cool, although the game doesnt want to run in a window or windowed mode, just make sure you have something open to alt-tab to.

Also some of the menu screens do not scale. like the custom skirmish menu with the map and player select, maybe it's hard coded.

Reply 7 of 10, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
synrgy87 wrote on 2020-05-11, 13:40:

Not sure what you mean by "too general"

Well, i dont particurly like answer, something wrong with old Windows games graphics. Just use dgVoodoo2..
There are lots of options and combinations, so i would like to know.. ok dgVoodoo but with which settings and if someone really tested it.
Im using dgVoodoo2 from time to time, im not expert.

Im also not sure if with it a should still use compatibility modes or not etc..

So far, i managed to game to start with dgVoodoo x86 files:
DDraw.dll
D3DImm.dll
D3D8.dll
D3D9.dll
Its running it some bordless unmovable window in left top corner of the screen - with active Win98 compatibility mode and i have to run it as admin, what is good that it is active..
I would like to run it in movable windows, or better in full screen and if possible with double resolution, originaly its running in 640x480 or 800x600 im not sure.

I have dgVoodoo set to Apperance Full screen, but it still starting as bordless window and it seems that resolution is fixed and higher resultion is applied only internally inside that window.

Reply 8 of 10, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

With these settings im able to run game to ALT+TAB, but its probably not optimal.

Its starting in Window where is mouse is not working or with some offset, but than i could ALT+ENTER it too fullscreen.. Game seems to be running with 640x480, i have 1920x1200 screen.

Framerate is from to 20-30 FPS, but GPu and CPU usage is small, so its probably dgVoodoo thing or game problem that too big rendering quality in dgVoodoo, i would like to have 30 FPS lock.

I have also problem, that there from time to time, there is doubled mouse cursor (only active is moving ) and not working, after some time dissapear, but it take at least few seconds.

Screenshot 2020-05-11 21.03.57.png
Filename
Screenshot 2020-05-11 21.03.57.png
File size
50.01 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

[attachment=-1]Screenshot 2020-05-11 21.04.04.png[/attachment]

Attachments

Reply 9 of 10, by synrgy87

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gotta Experiment with what works on your hardware, I can't do that for you but happy to help with suggestions.

But here's the settings that I've used:

(I'm not using any compatibility settings in windows at all, I'm also using the full game and not the demo(don't know if that makes much difference))

dgGenKufG.jpg
Filename
dgGenKufG.jpg
File size
73.7 KiB
Views
File comment
General Settings Tab
File license
Public domain
dgDxKufG.jpg
Filename
dgDxKufG.jpg
File size
76.28 KiB
Views
File comment
Dx settings Tab
File license
Public domain

alt + enter messes with the mouse when windowed mode is forced in dgvoodoo, maybe some combination will work for you but the game wasn't desgined for this, one thought it's not a massively demanding game, so it might run in an emulator which would allow full screen and windowed without messing up the mouse / screen input, just another thought. I might try it under Linux/Wine.

Reply 10 of 10, by ruthan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Im using demo just for testing, beside full game where i want just copy working settings.

I tried lots of settings, but i always had double cursor with offset problem, what very annoying.. but i finnaly find the mod, where its working fine, probably without any dgVoodoo enhancements.. U have i in DirectX tab, use checkbox Disable passthru to real DirectX.
Update: Hmm, but after ALT+TAB is not working.