VOGONS

First post, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, I have a HP T5530 Thin Client. Sadly, the onboard sound chip isn't DOS compatible (VIA VT8237), so I'm stuck with the following option to get sound: install Win95 / 98 / 98SE.
Biggest problem I'm facing: 64Mb Hard Drive. I already ordered some IDE 44 to SD adapters but it's taking so long from Aliexpress I doubt it will arrive this year...
So I'm wondering what is the smallest possible 9x OS I can install on this small 64Mb Hard Drive?
I learnt about 98micro, but I need a secondary drive to install from I don't know how or what I need (I dont have a zip drive).
Whats the smallest footprint of a 95 installation? and 98? Any ideas?
Thanks

The HPT5530 has:
VIA C7 800 MHz + 64Mb ROM + 128Mb RAM

Reply 1 of 24, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Installing Win95 retail without any options will lead to a 30MB install
Axing the Microsoft Network/Inbox stuff, the help files and some of the SysBckup should bring it down to 24mb.
I'm sure some have gone further to the point of using packers...

Also 800mhz is probably more than enough to make Win95 fault on boot (it's had issues with 350mhz+ unpatched).

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 24, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-05-13, 10:35:
Installing Win95 retail without any options will lead to a 30MB install Axing the Microsoft Network/Inbox stuff, the help files […]
Show full quote

Axing the Microsoft Network/Inbox stuff, the help files and some of the SysBckup should bring it down to 24mb.

Also 800mhz is probably more than enough to make Win95 fault on boot (it's had issues with 350mhz+ unpatched).

Ok thats really really good news. Will experiment with it later today and see how it goes. What 95 release is recommended? Im interested in really old 9x games and MS-DOS games. 95C?

Reply 5 of 24, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that this forum is for old Windows games on *modern* systems. You should ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 24, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote on 2020-05-13, 12:53:

Note that this forum is for old Windows games on *modern* systems. You should ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

Yeah you may be right, maybe someone could move the thread to that section?

Reply 7 of 24, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
austinham wrote on 2020-05-13, 12:38:

What about windows 98 lite? Not sure how small it is, but it’s worth looking into.

The minimum install is 4mb, add drivers and directX and things bloat up fast.

Reply 8 of 24, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
konc wrote on 2020-05-13, 12:36:

I'd also worry about how to install win95 on this, unless you have somehow a way to connect the 64MB (probably 44 pin DOM?) to another computer and start the installation there

On my thin client, I solve this by connecting SATA DVD-ROM via USB, where I got to the command line, and afterwards I was able to format C drive (2GB DOM) and copy all Win98 install file to it, and run installation procedure from that DOM. Thing is though, this won't work in matcarfer case, since there's not enough space for install files on C drive. It's possible, that with IDE drive, you would be able to run installation directly from CD (in my case with SATA drive, Win98 didn't find necessary drivers for optical drive).

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 9 of 24, by MAZter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting, why administration can't just move Marvin section up and this section down in the list, cause I believe most users here more interesting in Marvin board section.
Otherwise, such errors will occur again and again.

Doom is what you want (c) MAZter

Reply 11 of 24, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Moved to Marvin -> Software.

MAZter wrote on 2020-05-13, 19:34:

Interesting, why administration can't just move Marvin section up and this section down in the list, cause I believe most users here more interesting in Marvin board section.

Because the folks who created VOGONS 18 years ago prefer that the original focus of the forum, video game compatibility with modern hardware (it's in the NAME of the SITE), be perpetually honored in this way.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 12 of 24, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Installing Win95 retail without any options will lead to a 30MB install Axing the Microsoft Network/Inbox stuff, the help files […]
Show full quote

I tried with 95b and 95c and minimal install is 70Mb aprox, I dont understand how can I reduce it more.

Reply 13 of 24, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-05-14, 02:09:

Know that 64MB is criminally small even for 1995. It's more like 1990 disk space

Yeah I know, thats why its a challenge. I already put MSDOS and some games on it, and struggling to make a working install of 95 or 98se on a pendrive but so far its not going great, my SD to IDE 44 adapters are going to take a looong time to arrive. In my country the postal service is also running terribly slow. So here we are, with a 64Mb Hard Drive or a 32GB Pendrive which runs at USB1 speeds and give me all kinds of problems when running 98SE from there.

Reply 14 of 24, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2020-05-14, 02:12:

Moved to Marvin -> Software.

MAZter wrote on 2020-05-13, 19:34:

Because the folks who created VOGONS 18 years ago prefer that the original focus of the forum, video game compatibility with modern hardware (it's in the NAME of the SITE), be perpetually honored in this way.

Please dont worry about it and thanks for moving it to the right place.

Reply 15 of 24, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As I said in the last post, I'm already testing a USB drive to install the os'es.
Win95B/C complains when installing VGA or SOUND drivers (they are supposedly the compatible ones), when I install them they ask for many dll files that I know they arent included in 95 but are in 98.
Win98SE its impossible to install without "setup.exe /p j;a;b", and after almost 2 houts inside windows I mistakingly installed the autodetected usb drivers and installation went to the sewer. So I will try again tomorrow. Its a really tought challenge 😀

Reply 16 of 24, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
matcarfer wrote on 2020-05-14, 02:18:
Show full quote

I tried with 95b and 95c and minimal install is 70Mb aprox, I dont understand how can I reduce it more.

B and C aren't 95 retail...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 17 of 24, by matcarfer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
leileilol wrote on 2020-05-14, 02:41:
matcarfer wrote on 2020-05-14, 02:18:
Show full quote

B and C aren't 95 retail...

Ok then. Will install 95 retail and see how it goes. Thanks

Reply 19 of 24, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-05-29, 03:18:

Good luck getting *any* software running on that, as you'll have hundreds of missing DLLs. That's just a (nice) proof-of-concept, but not a usable OS.