VOGONS

Common searches

Quake 1 no music?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Muz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I cannot get this game music to work in Windows 10. Any help?

Reply 1 of 7, by Oetker

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Originally Quake used a cd audio (redbook) soundtrack, so you'd need the Quake CD in the drive. However depending on the version you're using there's workarounds using audio files. See here for more info
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filede … ch&id=119489135

If you have the cd in the drive and aren't hearing anything you'll need to troubleshoot cd audio playback in general.

Reply 2 of 7, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Muz wrote on 2020-03-20, 14:18:

If you are running under Windows 10, it is unlikely that you are running the original DOS port of Quake. Most likely you are running WinQuake, QuakeGL, DarkPlaces or other port. Without knowing which port you are using, there is no way to help you. Maybe a screenshot of your quake directory, and knowing how you execute it will give enough information.

Reply 3 of 7, by UCyborg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not sure if any Windows source port fixes issues with music playback from CD. Even original Windows executables don't support volume control, I guess because MCI interface that was used doesn't neither (some games of the time do try to change it via alternate paths, though these don't work today neither).

Due to a bug since Windows Vista, music doesn't loop because MCI never sends notification that playback has completed. It would be possible to implement a workaround by adding the code that would periodically query the status of CD drive.

There's also a requirement that the Quake CD be in the first CD drive (if PC has more than one), though that's the game limitation. MCI supports using a specific CD drive.

Maybe it would be possible to completely fix CD playback issues by implementing the custom code (maybe there's a library out there that already does it?) that would read the music from CD and so on.

That said, your average modern source port for playing Quake supports playing music from external files, so all you have to do is rip the music from original CD in the right format and put the resulting files with correct names in the correct place. The documentation of the chosen source port should come with needed information.

Arthur Schopenhauer wrote:

A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free.

Reply 5 of 7, by BEEN_Nath_58

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Muz wrote on 2020-03-20, 14:18:

If you are using the CD version of the game, you need to have the game in that PARTICULAR CD drive.
If you are not using CD version, and you use GOG version, then you need to demphasize your audio for Quake.

previously known as Discrete_BOB_058

Reply 7 of 7, by Xlelight The DOS-er

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently got the Quake Music to work under the GOG Version. I also had the Shareware CD in the dark corners of my gAmInG shelf. I tried the same way of making the music work like the GOG version, it wasn't detecting the iso file even after the imgmount command for some reason. WinQuake is fairly easy to get working though, just install the patch linked below and you'll get WinQuake and the music workin' like how it was supposed to be in 1997! Not sure about GLQuake though, just use the _inmm.dll if it works.
Patch: https://www.moddb.com/games/quake/downloads/v … h-for-winglqwcl. Also got QWCL if interested in that.

Keep MS-DOS-in!