First post, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine should look like this:

start_winme_1.jpg

But instead, I get a BLACK bar where the wording is, this is a picture of it:

https://flic.kr/p/2iZkPUy

I have the latest Rage Pro drivers, changed resolution, color depth, refresh rate, etc. did not make any difference.

Why?

p.s. Would you recommend a better image hosting? I have been using Flikr for years, and I hate it.

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 1 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
C0deHunter wrote on 2020-05-09, 21:06:

p.s. Would you recommend a better image hosting? I have been using Flikr for years, and I hate it.

Why not attach the files to Vogons directly? You can use the Attachments thingy for what when you are setting up your reply 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 10, by PlyrStar93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The banner should be stored as a bitmap in Explorer.exe, did Explorer.exe get modified (likely unintentionally)? Can you open it with Resource Hacker or something to see if the banner is still there?

Reply 3 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Seems like when I merge the layout.dll reg file, it does it

Layout.dll - Easy Desktop Icons position restoration for Windows

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 4 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PlyrStar93 wrote on 2020-05-16, 03:52:

The banner should be stored as a bitmap in Explorer.exe, did Explorer.exe get modified (likely unintentionally)? Can you open it with Resource Hacker or something to see if the banner is still there?

No, I haven't done that, but it seems as soon as I merge the layout.dll's registry entry, I encounter this issue:

Layout.dll - Easy Desktop Icons position restoration for Windows

Reply 5 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Update:
I take it back! It's NOT the Layout.dll at all!

You know how one can drag another icon/shortcut *above* the Programs item on the Start menu? If I remove that icon (in this case the default 'Windows Update' shortcut icon), then the 'Windows ME Millennium Edition' text would disappear, and will be replaced by a black bar.
(p.s. I know, my screen capture is from a Windows 98, but you get the idea! 😀)

Attachments

Reply 6 of 10, by PlyrStar93

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
C0deHunter wrote on 2020-05-16, 22:17:
Update: I take it back! It's NOT the Layout.dll at all! […]
Show full quote

Update:
I take it back! It's NOT the Layout.dll at all!

You know how one can drag another icon/shortcut *above* the Programs item on the Start menu? If I remove that icon (in this case the default 'Windows Update' shortcut icon), then the 'Windows ME Millennium Edition' text would disappear, and will be replaced by a black bar.
(p.s. I know, my screen capture is from a Windows 98, but you get the idea! 😀)

Glad you sorted it out, though I did the same and it is still showing the Windows ME Millennium Edition banner.
I do notice that your start menu is missing the log off option. Compared with mine, your menu turns out to be shorter which is not enough for the bitmap (as I previously implied, it is stored in EXPLORER.EXE).

Attachments

• winme.png
    Filename
    winme.png
    File size
    8.73 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Windows ME start menu.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

HAHA good work!
Had the same problem but never bothered me, so much so I cant't even remember which PC/OS it happens.
I thought it may have to do with TweakUI or graphic card drivers as it's about then it seems to break.
Removing the "pinned" Windows Update icon would make sense as remove that about the same time as well

Reply 8 of 10, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's all about the height of the start menu, if it is too short the graphics don't render
just add whatever item until the graphics appear again

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 10, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How can I enable Log Off to appear on Start menu?
(hence, making it tall enough for the text to appear)

Reply 10 of 10, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here.

WinME.png
Filename
WinME.png
File size
24.44 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98