Rank
l33t
mpe wrote on 2020-05-16, 17:28:
Dell 5V -> 3.3V interposer for Socket 2 + brand new Intel DX4 CPU […]
Show full quote

Dell 5V -> 3.3V interposer for Socket 2
+ brand new Intel DX4 CPU

DSC_7260-scaled.jpeg

Hi, Wow, a first, Dell-made 5V to 3.3V interposer for 486?

How did you find one? I rather like one for one of my compaq to run DX4-100.

I couldn't find except wrench sockets. Must way how to search right way iwth search words terms.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 34023 of 52692, by Cga.8086

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i got a soyo sy-5vc on a case i bought, barrel battery drained, did a mess on front and back of the board,
i will trash it, there is zero feeling to have such a mess repaired. all green barrel exploded boards should just be burried.

Reply 34024 of 52692, by evasive

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cga.8086 wrote on 2020-05-17, 03:33:

i got a soyo sy-5vc on a case i bought, barrel battery drained, did a mess on front and back of the board,
i will trash it, there is zero feeling to have such a mess repaired. all green barrel exploded boards should just be burried.

Can you do a bios dump in case it is a revision we don't have yet? Or is the bios chip gone too.

Reply 34025 of 52692, by BreakPoint

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SOYO SY-5TH
Found this one on garage sale. One guy sold me 5 PCs, one of which with this beauty. Weird but PC had Windows 98 installed on. Which makes no sense.

Attachments

• IMG_0169.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0169.JPG
    File size
    1.3 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0168.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_0168.JPG
    File size
    1.97 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

My CPU collection - Looking for hardware in Ukraine - Ukraine vintage PC forum

Reply 34027 of 52692, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2020-05-17, 00:58:
Hi, Wow, a first, Dell-made 5V to 3.3V interposer for 486? […]
Show full quote

Hi, Wow, a first, Dell-made 5V to 3.3V interposer for 486?

How did you find one? I rather like one for one of my compaq to run DX4-100.

I couldn't find except wrench sockets. Must way how to search right way iwth search words terms.

Cheers,

The best chance is inside a XPS X4100V machine 😀

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 34028 of 52692, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not necessarily retro hardware in itself, but it will be used for my retro systems. I have about 6 systems atm, ranging from a 286 to a Pentium II 350. I already managed to connect each system to a single display/keyboard through an 8 port KVM switch, which works great (wish I could get in beige though...)

Anyhow, I was still looking for a way to connect the sound of each system to a single set of speakers and a while ago managed to find this 8 port auto switch. Got a bunch of cables (RCA to 3.5mm etc.) to connect each of the systems through this switch to the line-in of my main PC.

RabQDoO.jpg

J6eSTuE.jpg

And the audio switch on top of my KVM (bottom machine is my 286/16, above it my 386DX-40, to the left my Pentium II):

Tx7vOYz.jpg

Reply 34029 of 52692, by Turbo ->

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2020-05-18, 05:55:

Not necessarily retro hardware in itself, but it will be used for my retro systems. I have about 6 systems atm, ranging from a 286 to a Pentium II 350. I already managed to connect each system to a single display/keyboard through an 8 port KVM switch, which works great (wish I could get in beige though...)

I have similar solution: For switching VGA I use Manhattan switch, for audio I use 3.5 audio switch I bought online.

p.s.: your systems are beautiful.

Reply 34030 of 52692, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Turbo -> wrote on 2020-05-18, 06:07:

I have similar solution: For switching VGA I use Manhattan switch, for audio I use 3.5 audio switch I bought online.

Oh, nice! I think saw a 4 port version of that I think, they look super sturdy, but I already purchased the 8 port I have now and I preferred more than 4 ports, otherwise I might have gotten 2 of those.

Re. the systems. I was lucky to find two brand new desktop cases. Cost me a fortune to get them shipped. I wanted desktops for my 286 and 386 builds. I'm using GoTeks for floppy drives so it's "easy" to copy small bits and pieces from my main machine (also has a GoTek in it).

Reply 34031 of 52692, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BreakPoint wrote on 2020-05-17, 11:18:

SOYO SY-5TH
Found this one on garage sale. One guy sold me 5 PCs, one of which with this beauty. Weird but PC had Windows 98 installed on. Which makes no sense.

Interesting to see a HX board with only 4 SIMM slots.

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 34032 of 52692, by mpe

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A compact Compaq PS/2 keyboard. Likely from a SLT/286 computer. In nice condition (after alcohol bath). However, looks the cable is bad and need to be replaced.

DSC_7238-scaled.jpeg

Blog|NexGen 586|S4

Reply 34033 of 52692, by Xicor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

Just received a ZX Spectrum 128K toastrack version. It was a long hunt, a "Red October" thing of mine. Probably overpaid @ 200 euros. Also with this machine came a lot of games and some mixed tapes:

ZX128K_0.jpg
Filename
ZX128K_0.jpg
File size
335.51 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
ZX128K_1.jpg
Filename
ZX128K_1.jpg
File size
341.01 KiB
Views
File license
ZX128K_2.jpg
Filename
ZX128K_2.jpg
File size
373.43 KiB
Views
File license
ZX128K_3.jpg
Filename
ZX128K_3.jpg
File size
421.97 KiB
Views
File license
ZX128K_4.jpg
Filename
ZX128K_4.jpg
File size
443.27 KiB
Views
File license

Ps: I have the faint suspicion that all of this tapes are bootlegs, but as I recall well they were on sale in reputable stores in my country.

Reply 34034 of 52692, by bearking

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got this today

Asus_A8N_SLI_Premium.jpg
Filename
Asus_A8N_SLI_Premium.jpg
File size
1.05 MiB
Views
File license

- ASUS A8N-SLI Premium + IO shield
- Athlon 64 X2 4800+
- 3 Gb RAM
- Zalman CNPS9500 LED
😀

Reply 34035 of 52692, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hope this is OK to post here.

There is an item on eBay that I would very much like to get for preservation and to help the community.

The only problem is that the seller is in Italy and his listing says he only ships to the EU and has not yet responded to my messages.

Would anybody here be willing to help me arrange a purchase and then ship the item to me?

I don't really want to post the link or the item name here as I don't want some collector snatching it up and then not sharing it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 34036 of 52692, by LewisRaz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im sure there would be someone willing to help. I certainly would be but it might be better if if someone on mainland EU did it.

My retro pc youtube channel
Twitter

Reply 34037 of 52692, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pan069 wrote on 2020-05-18, 05:55:
Not necessarily retro hardware in itself, but it will be used for my retro systems. I have about 6 systems atm, ranging from a 2 […]
Show full quote

Anyhow, I was still looking for a way to connect the sound of each system to a single set of speakers and a while ago managed to find this 8 port auto switch. Got a bunch of cables (RCA to 3.5mm etc.) to connect each of the systems through this switch to the line-in of my main PC.

RabQDoO.jpg

J6eSTuE.jpg

And the audio switch on top of my KVM (bottom machine is my 286/16, above it my 386DX-40, to the left my Pentium II):

Tx7vOYz.jpg

Nice solution, however you may want to open your switch and verify the soldering work on all pins. I have this exact same switch (I use it for my videogame consoles) and I was having issues with audio humming, and random graphical issues on some consoles. I replaced cables to no avail, but disassembled the switch and found that some of the solders were making contact with the metal case of the switch and creating issues. I reflowed all the soldering points, put some electrical tape on the bottom of the metal case (internally) and no more issues so far.

Reply 34038 of 52692, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mpe wrote on 2020-05-18, 08:59:
A compact Compaq PS/2 keyboard. Likely from a SLT/286 computer. In nice condition (after alcohol bath). However, looks the cabl […]
Show full quote

A compact Compaq PS/2 keyboard. Likely from a SLT/286 computer. In nice condition (after alcohol bath). However, looks the cable is bad and need to be replaced.

DSC_7238-scaled.jpeg

Yes, from SLT 286 or SLT 3862/20, same keyboard. See if you can get the computer that had this keyboard. It is standard keyboard via PS/2 plug. Will work on other PCs.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 34039 of 52692, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My P133 is ever so slowly taking shape as parts begin to arrive...

DSC-0383.jpg

- I've had the IBM monitor sitting in my closet for several years just waiting to be used. I originally got it for use with DOSBOX, but I eventually bought a new laptop with a video card that didn't seem to support 320x200 correctly.
- The motherboard is a baby-AT AI5VP with a Pentium 133 and whatever graphics card came with it (SiS I think?). I'll probably replace the graphics card at some point.
- Keyboard is an IBM knockoff I was excited to find here in Japan, as it has the AT connector I need for the motherboard and has the English layout! Very solid keyboard actually.
- The case is an ATX case and honestly is pretty ugly; however, I wanted a horizontal case and this is all I could find for a decent price. I replace the power supply with a NOS AT power supply I found for a very good price; it doesn't mount to the case, so I'll need to jimmy something up to secure it in place.
- I installed an AWE32 ISA card, but I will be on the lookout for a SB Pro or 16 at some point.
- The Roland speakers are much bigger than I expected; they are shielded, but I'm not 100% happy having them on their sides on the case.
- Still waiting for my hard drive and CDROM drive to arrive (domestic mail), as well as a gameport-MIDI adapter and Gotek floppy emulator (intl mail, so won't get here for some time).

I'm thinking of installing Windows 98SE on this, but will use it primarily as a dedicated DOS gaming machine. The motherboard can boot from the CD, so this seems like the easiest way to get DOS on here, and I am hoping that I can get the USB ports working for copying games over (via Win98) via USB drive. Would there be any downsides to this versus just installing DOS 6.22 from diskette?

Last edited by newtmonkey on 2020-05-19, 09:01. Edited 1 time in total.