VOGONS

First post, by skel2raw

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi guys,
I recently bought an AWE32 CT3980 PnP new in blister. I was so happy to find one in perfect shape. However I fear the card is dead....
I opened the packaging and installed it into one of my old PCs. Booting up Windows 98SE did not recognize the card. I thought maybe some settings in the bios are wrong. Checked that but everything seemed ok.
After that I installed in another of my old PCs but there it wasn't recognized either. Now I began to worry the card might be dead... I found another used bare CT3980 for 20 Euros and bought it. Installed this card in both my PCs and both recognized the card right away...

Optically I cannot see anything wrong with the firtst card. I mean it was still in blister and looks fresh out of the factory... You guys have any idea what might be wrong with it and whether it might be possible to fix the card?

Reply 1 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

try and clean the isa edge connectors of the card with some IPA or a soft pensil eraser - maybe it's just a connection issue

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 7, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
skel2raw wrote on 2020-05-18, 07:47:

Optically I cannot see anything wrong with the firtst card. I mean it was still in blister and looks fresh out of the factory...

It would be very helpful if one could *see* that a piece of electronics is faulty. But you can't. No matter how perfect it looks, it can still be dead.

Also, what do you mean by "blister"? I hope you mean a still-sealed anti-static bag by this. A blister normally refers to a two-piece plastic package welded together on the edges, which requires scissors to open.

Reply 5 of 7, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does the AWE32 contain a onboard ROM Chip ? For PNP etc.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 7 of 7, by sergio27ru

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would recomend test the card on another system w/o any cards (video only) and use dos mode only: run ctcm utility from sb offitial software, it should detect the sb pnp cards. If it ok - try windows, if not - probably hardware problem.