VOGONS

First post, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was reading a post from a user on some 90's PCs and it occurred to me to ask you this thing:

occasionally in local markets I find IBM PCs (brand that I like to treat) of Pentium1 class with attached IBM Model M keyboard for around € 100. Do you think it is a good investment to buy them and then sell them online in the future? In addition to being able to earn something, I would also save them from destruction ...

Reply 3 of 16, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The seller might not know. PCs are difficult to onsell due to weight and postage costs, and the fact there is nothing special about it. Good model M keyboards can sell for hundreds of dollars. All I am saying is if you can get it cheap, has much more potential to profit.

Reply 4 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AlessandroB wrote on 2020-05-18, 22:55:

5€ for the keyboard are really really low price, close to impossible.

you think that IBM Pentium1 are a bad investment for future??

Some IBM Pentiums are worth grabbing as are some of their newer (and older stuff). If they can show you it boots up at least to the BIOS and tries to boot from floppy/HD with no keyboard errors then I would grab a few if I could. They are probably missing the HD's but getting a complete IBM case, motherboard, keyboard, etc is always worth while even in the Pentium era. I would do some research on which are the better IBM Pentiums (those that can run a 200MMX as example) as they will be more valuable than those limited to say a P-60 or P-75. Just my opinion...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 5 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-18, 23:02:

See if you can buy the keyboard alone for €5, you will make more money that way for sure.
----
The seller might not know. PCs are difficult to onsell due to weight and postage costs, and the fact there is nothing special about it. Good model M keyboards can sell for hundreds of dollars. All I am saying is if you can get it cheap, has much more potential to profit.

You do realize this Forum is all about restoring old hardware and not how to make a profit off good purchases, right ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 16, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-05-18, 23:08:

See if you can buy the keyboard alone for €5, you will make more money that way for sure.
----

You do realize this Forum is all about restoring old hardware and not how to make a profit off good purchases, right ?

Well that's what OP was asking.

Reply 7 of 16, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Horun wrote on 2020-05-18, 23:08:

----

sure, but restoring pc is expensive and for ecample you buy 3 computers and selling one allows you to get the money you need to repair the other 2.

I'm not talking about profit as if it were a job but a way to be able to continue investing in repairing and testing.

Reply 8 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What's so expensive at repairing a PC ? Capacitors cost just a few cents, SD cards + adapter cost 20 bucks at most and other parts can often be gotten for cheap in lots, but they don't fail that often and they often cost more when you're looking for something specific.
Fixing my Compaq Deskpro 386s/20N costed me at most 15 bucks.

On the other hand I get that getting the right tools to fix them can get quite expensive (soldering iron + desoldering iron + hot air station + multimeter + rom programmer ...), but when you get good quality tools, they'll last you for a long time and will help you to fix so many things that their investment will be worth it.

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 9 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-18, 23:20:

Maybe you should re-read what you posted. Is possible/most likely you just made "X part" go up more in my area due to your post. They were expensive enough as it is without clarifying it.

Reply 11 of 16, by AlessandroB

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Deksor wrote on 2020-05-18, 23:53:

What's so expensive at repairing a PC ? Capacitors cost just a few cents, SD cards + adapter cost 20 bucks at most and other parts can often be gotten for cheap in lots, but they don't fail that often and they often cost more when you're looking for something specific.
Fixing my Compaq Deskpro 386s/20N costed me at most 15 bucks.

On the other hand I get that getting the right tools to fix them can get quite expensive (soldering iron + desoldering iron + hot air station + multimeter + rom programmer ...), but when you get good quality tools, they'll last you for a long time and will help you to fix so many things that their investment will be worth it.

I talked generically about fixing but it's not just that. All our hobby is expensive, last year I inadvertently burned a € 200 sbc doing tests and tests. The A4000 cards (I know that here we only talk about PCs, but many of us also have them) have exorbitant prices and replacing them when some IC burns out is even worse. These types of actions require fresh investments from time to time, and if in the markets of the place where you live there are deals that if not bought by us, they would be destroyed, I don't see how bad it is.

Reply 13 of 16, by derSammler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@AlessandroB:

If you think this way, you have the wrong hobby. Especially since you asked: "Do you think it is a good investment to buy them and then sell them online in the future?"

That's purely about money-making and don't even fit the explanation you tried to give. If you are after profit, that's ok, but be honest about it.

Reply 14 of 16, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see what the problem is, in OP's own words

AlessandroB wrote on 2020-05-18, 22:21:

I would also save them from destruction ...

Much better to have them available on a national/international platform then local market as lets face it, this is still a niche hobby. and If he makes a bit of cash on the side then I'm cool with that.

Reply 15 of 16, by Deksor

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I feel that way as well, I've seen so many parts being put in bins for extremely cheap in flea markets. I can't believe they'd keep that afterwards. It's probably last chance before trash (and sometimes I've asked to people if they had retro hardware and it was too late 🙁 )

Another time I got lucky and went to the seller's home and I picked almost everything he had in his 20s, the rest was going to trash

Trying to identify old hardware ? Visit The retro web - Project's thread The Retro Web project - a stason.org/TH99 alternative

Reply 16 of 16, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kolderman wrote on 2020-05-18, 23:20:

Yes you are right, he did ask. Sorry I have been a bit of an angry old fart lately and get a bit of 'tude over some things....